Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For ALL of you who go out "dressed"...

Actually I go to places like Walmart, the bank and my church, I rarely go to any "LGBT" friendly places. I just dont drink so there is little reason to go to bars of any sort. And I have yet to hook up with any groups that meet regularly.

AND I do it en femme so I must be bust(able).

AND I have yet to have any sort of bad experience either, except getting "sired".
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I'm puzzled. I see no reference to shopping en femme. I thought many of us did that. Geez, I go out to eat at restaurants, always by myself, and shop at Kohl's, Pennys, and Macy's en femme several times over the years and never really had any problems. Especially after learning a thing or two. I once drove a thousand miles en femme, stopping along the way. Perhaps I have deceived myself, but nobody seems to notice or care. Goodness, now I'm nervous.

My first time out was to a small internet type restaurant, which I found out while talking to the owner also hosted regular "T" group meetings. That was not my place of choice but someone else's for my first night out as Allie. Later that evening we went to San Francisco's fairly well known Diva's, a TG bar/hangout where occasionally one can see a working sister or two. Since that first night I have only been back there once or twice. I did look for some safe places for a TG to be, but also made it a point to also go to real world main stream venues, from wine bars to restaurants o theater and plays. I still regularly go back to my "Cheers" bar where everyone knows my name. Not because it was one of my original safe places to be myself, but because I liked the place, the staff and the patrons and always have a good time there. If I was to guess about how much is LGBT friendly (as defined by those that specifically look for those types of places) I would guess that it is 10% or less officially LGBT friendly and 90%+ real world main stream places.

If there is something more specific you would like to know, ask more specific questions.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni Beauman View Post
    I'm puzzled. I see no reference to shopping en femme. I thought many of us did that. Geez, I go out to eat at restaurants, always by myself, and shop at Kohl's, Pennys, and Macy's en femme several times over the years and never really had any problems. Especially after learning a thing or two. I once drove a thousand miles en femme, stopping along the way. Perhaps I have deceived myself, but nobody seems to notice or care. Goodness, now I'm nervous.
    Perhaps some people are curious about LGBT based establishments and would like information before deciding to check it out. I am sure many people are familiar with big box stores and don't need much info when attending them

While my fem jeans may not be sequined... I do have this neat zebra belt and other sparkly bet I wear with it... Even at times when not officially 'dressing'...

That said I have been out to a LGBT bar when truly dressed.. Actually almost think I was a bit over dressed as I was In A spring dress and a majority were jean-ing it up. Or doing the opposite with some extreme micro-shorts
    But was fun. It wasn't local though..and a with a group. I'd like to get out more to local ones but just never feel right just going alone. Also would like to have a leather skirt and better top for a next bar outing..
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    For those that do not understand the question... Also, I am unclear as to why some would take the time to respond to this post if you can't contribute anything? Seems like that would set a bad example for the newbies? Do we really need that? There are hundreds of Qs out there for people to post to.
    WAH as one of the folks who did not "contribute anything" perhaps if you concentrate on expressing the questions clearly vice a lot of hyperbole leading up to it, I would not have responded. Keep it simple and you will get the audience you are looking for. For example:

Hi all. I am curious how many of you have gone out "en femme" to local LGBT friendly venues? If so, how did you know they were LGBT friendly venues? or words to that effect.

Hugs

Isha

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    For example:

Hi all. I am curious how many of you have gone out "en femme" to local LGBT friendly venues? If so, how did you know they were LGBT friendly venues? or words to that effect.
    Basically this. As I said in my reply, I never visited a LGBT friendly venue (whatever that means, does that only exclude places with "no fags allowed" signs or what?) en femme, but that wasn't your question.

As for how I know they're "LGBT friendly" specifically: usually it's the frigging rainbow flag on the facade

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Hmmm I haven't seen a LGBT friendly church flying the Rainbow on their facade.... Seen the church groups walk in the Pride Parade with the different flags though.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 04-16-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Not being a Bar person and I don't consider Las Vegas as much of a challenge either.

Great place to dress tho and I do get around dressed whilst on holidays...
    What is the question you are asking?
    If it's the last line....

No.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    Hmmm I haven't seen a LGBT friendly church flying the Rainbow on their facade.... Seen the church groups walk in the Pride Parade with the different flags though.
    And I actually have! Funny how anecdotes work I didn't really say that all LGBT friendly venues have (or should have) a rainbow flag on their facade though.

All of the above. I'm not sure if I get 'busted', I assume I do, but everyone treats me with the respect due a lady, so I'm not sure what they are thinking. I've been going to LBGT friendly places like Wal Mart, Disney World, the bank, and the dry cleaners, and McDonalds all my life. I also work part time at a gay bar.
    I hope that answers, or confuses, all your questions.

Never, don't even know about any near me aside from gay clubs

But still whats the point?....................Debra

I never have. Kind of wanted to for a long time, but have never met anyone else who dresses, if I did I'd love to go out dancing with them at a club dressed

Banned Read only
    FYI Dallas has a convenient GLBT chamber of commerce, so the friendly businesses have a sticker right on their window, so that you can either feel safe in your transactions with those merchants, or simply walk by in a disgusted huff if that is your preference!

The first place I ever went dressed was the Equality Center in Tulsa Oklahoma, an LGBT support organization. My presentation sucked.
    On my second visit, the following week, my presentation was much better, and I went to the Irish Pub I mentioned before after the meeting.
    I hope that answers the question more constructively - sorry I really didn't understand the question before.

Oh, my signature contains my opinion about "safety."

Ever attended a "LGBT friendly place" - yes but, I usually go anywhere that I want to.
    Hugs, Carole

I've only ever been out fully dressed a few times. And even then it was under the cover of darkness and around a quiet area of town. Now, I'd love to visit some LGBT places, but I kinda live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, so no such places exist for a good 20 miles. Maybe if I go to Birmingham next year, it's something I'd get into. x

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    "Dressed", as in wearing anything at all on the outside that might get you "busted". [Being underdressed - no matter to what extent - does not count here]

Also, FEmale jeans DO NOT count, unless they are covered in sequins, rivets or have hand sized or bigger, butterflies, rainbows, flowers etc., on the rear end or elsewhere.

How many of you have ever attended a LGBT/LGBT "friendly" place? Bar, restaurant, event etc.?
    I have. Zero chance of passing, everyone in the neighborhood is presumed to be CD.

"King nights" are pretty fun, some "Goth nights" are pretty accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi_83 View Post
    Zero chance of passing, everyone in the neighborhood is presumed to be CD.
    That's my difficulty with LGBT venues. They are fun, but I certainly do get examined closely.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

As I've found out so far, if you're a paying customer most if not all places are LGBT friendly as long as you are dressed respectably.

Banned Read only
    Thanks to everyone who posted here. It appears as though many LGBT "friendly" places may not actually advertise anywhere except possibly word of mouth? Could that be extrapolated to... many of these places could easily have a large percentage of "normal" folks also eating/mingling/drinking/yakking etc. on any given night?

I will explain the reason why I'm curious to know in an upcoming post.

When I go out, I don't specifically go to LGBT-friendly places. I've been to neighbourhood coffee shops, restaurants and malls. I probably get read, but no-one has stared and I've never had a negative reaction.

My first time out in public was to a T-support group meet-up social event thingie.. so I guess it's quite obvious that that could be qualified as an LGBTQ* friendly place.

Did not have to do much research for that apart from clicking on the website to find the address.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Bars are not my thing, really. I am not comfortable in them. Might go once someday. I would rather walk a mall, go to Walmart, a thrift store, Symphony.