Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having to show an ID when out?

Having to show an ID when out?

My cousin invited me up to visit her in a few months to go to a alternative lifestyle show as she calls it. Anyways she said she would take me around to a few of her favorite clubs with me dressed as Carly. She is lesbian, so all the places we are going will be friendly. But I flattered myself with the question....what if I get asked to show my ID. My ID is almost 4 years old, long hair and a beard. Has anyone faced this? I have only been out to places like parks and car trips as Carly, so this is all new to me. I'm VERY excited to go to a club, but I also have all these little fears and questions now.

I go out often. Many places ask for an ID at the door. Just show them it and don't worry. I have never met a doorman/ bouncer that cares. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carly CD View Post
    She is lesbian, so all the places we are going will be friendly. But I flattered myself with the question....what if I get asked to show my ID. My ID is almost 4 years old, long hair and a beard.
    Don't worry about the ID, they want to serve you drinks, no matter how you are dressed. If the ID is valid (as in not expired), it can be used no matter what image is on the front.

You may want to invest in getting an update ID if you plan on frequent trips as Carly.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I have only been to 1 club. It also was an alternative club. They id'd me and my friend.as we entered and they didnt bat an eye. Actually they were very polite, said thanx and told us to have fun.
    Erica

How easy or possible is it to get a legitimate ID with our female persona on it? Is it possible in some states to get a second drivers license or official state ID with the other identity on it? If so, do I assume correctly that must become official information that shows up on background checks, etc.?

I just tell them I was having a bad hair day that day.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

How many GGs drastically alter their looks without altering their ID? The same standards apply to us. If the club is LGBT friendly they'e seen pretty people with beards on their IDs!

Eryn <--- who, at her age, would love to be carded
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Whenever I am in the US, I always have to get used to fact that you have to show your ID (my passport in my case) to enter a bar or even a restaurant. Seriously.. last time I was there, I was 33!

I love you Yanks, but sometimes you're a bit silly with your drinking laws.

Fortunately, I also have long hair in my passport pic (no make-up though ), so the only thing that might confuse them is the M.. but I never had problems.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natcrys View Post
    Whenever
    awesome.....

Quote Originally Posted by raleighbelle View Post
    How easy or possible is it to get a legitimate ID with our female persona on it? Is it possible in some states to get a second drivers license or official state ID with the other identity on it? If so, do I assume correctly that must become official information that shows up on background checks, etc.?
    In California, it is possible to have a Driver's License and a separate State issued ID. Both are available at the DMV (which may make getting the second ID not worth the effort). I don't know about a feminine name on one and a masculine name on the other, but you can have separate images.

A word of caution: do not carry two of the same IDs, whether D/L, State ID or passport. Especially the passport as that can be a felony. The passport office will change your image to whatever is consistent with your look.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

I looked similar in my ID, even my service ID was difficult to decipher.
    If I was a girl they could see me with long hair, if I was male they could see me with short hair.
    It was easy. I looked like a sixteen year old with a 21 year old ID
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If I went someplace and they "proofed" me to get in I'd be flattered and might even kiss the doorman/woman. I haven't been ID'd in years and don't expect to be in the future except when I apply for Social Security....LOL.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I do it all the time. I pay with items with my CC, with my male name on it, and I use my male driver's license. I have only been questioned about it a couple of times and I simply stood my ground, that yes it was indeed me pictured on my license. They relented. I have never been able to use my male id and cards. Just go for it. Oh and the places I go are not specifically LGBT friendly, they are mall stores, Costco, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.

I have always kind of wondered about the potential scenario of going to a regular club (the only ones ive been too have been lgbt friendly so are used to it) but the fear of not being allowed in would scare me, or would it be a compliment that the person in the card and the person in front of the bouncer don't match up?
    Tara, the fab me!

The doormen/ bouncers check that it is valid, and the birthdate, other than that I donĀ“t think they care. I have been to a few regular clubs and never had problems. I have been rejected from clubs for other reasons (in boy mode). Most likely because I did not meet whatever criteria of the guy at the velvet rope. It is not a big deal either.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Be proud of the results you have as a dude presenting female. I do.
    They will be looking at your pic and you, not believing the drastic difference.
    You may even hear "Yo! Even David Copperfield can't top this trick"

Quote Originally Posted by natcrys View Post
    i have to agree with you that we have many silly laws. but owning a bar for over 1/4 of century and having a couple of alcohol related deaths and
    lawsuits, the law is in place for a reason and it is a good law. it is tremendously flawed but that is another thread!! getting a liquor license in ny is damn near impossible and keeping it is even harder. the way girls dress today, i've proofed some girls who looked 16 but were in the 40's and there were a few i didn't proof thinking they were of age and finding out later that they weren't.

oops, i almost forgot to answer the OP's question...as long i can verify that the ID is you, i could care less how you are dressed, but if you're having a great hair day and did you're make-up is flawlessly and you're ID looks nothing like you, then i might not serve you. this is my personal opinion and nothing personal. ny enjoys
    hanging bar owners...it makes for good press and validates their billion dollar stop dwi campaign!! i will not risk losing everything if i am not sure!
    Last edited by paulaprimo; 04-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    paula

Banned Read only
    I am fortunate that my male name is androgynous and my appearance on my driver's license photo is likewise. It's pretty much been like that since I was 18. (I've almost always had long or longish hair and I either had it pulled back or loose, so the photo mismatch hasn't really been an issue. I'll admit to doing that on purpose, for obvious reasons.) The only giveaway was the 'M' under "Sex". But I understand my situation is not the norm for most of us girls.

I've never had an issue with ID at clubs or bars. Like many of the others have commented here, the doorman just wants to make sure you have some valid form of ID. As far as an ID with your femme name, that's something you'd have to check into wherever you live as the laws may differ from state to state or country to country.
    Last edited by Diane Edwards; 04-16-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Hit the 'Post' button too soon!

They do not really care what is actually on the ID. They want to make sure you have one, it is valid, and that you are of age. They want your business but do not want to lose their license with underage patrons.

Thanks girls, I'm sure it will be fine. Just letting nerves get to me I guess. The more I thought about it, my license expires close to when we are planning the outing. So I guess I could get an updated one before we go.

When I go out I like to order cocktails, so I always get carded. My ID is a picture of me looking unbearably masculine and sleep deprived. A lot of people have bad photos, but this one is in a pretty special category of bad. They try to hide a visible reaction, but there's never a problem. Businesses aren't going to hassle you if you're spending money.

Blondes Have More Fun Jennifer Kelly's Avatar
    I went out to an LGBT friendly bar last month and got carded at the door. My driver's license picture is from 2008 when I still had facial hair. We had a good laugh and then I went in and got some drinks.

At worst they look at it and don't notice a thing at best they look at it and their jaw hits the floor. They don't really care...the only purpose is so they can legally serve you.
    Chickie

Reality Check
    I think it's better to get turned away from a bar than to be caught with a fake ID. Show your ID, explain if you have to. If they turn you away, go someplace else.

"Silly" drinking laws? We have lots of silly laws. That's the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by Krisi; 04-17-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Oh Baby Girl, if some one carded me, I'd give him or her a big kiss on the lips!
    Let's just say my youngest is 34.