Thread: More confident

More confident

Last weekend I did something I never thought I'd do... I took a walk, as Daphne, right through the centre of town near where I live. It had seemed that my weekend had fallen through, but a last minute change of plans meant that I had the house to myself after all.

I was wearing my favourite blouse - a lovely, floaty, ivory one with a floral print in lilac and purple - along with a deep purple cardigan and a pair of jeans (given extra shape thanks to some foam pads to accentuate my hips and bum - thanks for the inspiration, docrobbysherry!).

It was late evening, and while plenty of people were milling around, no-one paid any attention to me at all. Except the driver of a sporty car who tooted his horn at me. There wasn't anyone else around (on foot or in cars) so it must have been directed at me. It didn't make me feel intimidated, so I took it as a compliment... And a couple of guys I walked right past, they were chatting, but they paused mid-conversation as I passed, then I heard them mumble something, and 'nice' before they carried on down the street. What a confidence boost.

Aside from passing the odd person on the other side of the street, my first big challenge was to walk past a traditional pub: with a group of about half-a-dozen blokes standing outside, pint glasses in hand. If I was going to get unwanted attention, or ridiculed, this was it. What a relief when they didn't even give me a second glance. After that, I really relaxed and enjoyed my walk. Never in a million years did I ever imagine Daphne would be freely wandering up and down the centre of town.

I did have a couple of moments of panic though. For most of my time out, I though I had a stone in my shoe, so just after I'd moved my car and parked, I leaned against the boot of my car to take my shoe off and get rid of the stone. Turns out, my handbrake wasn't on and the car started rolling off down the street. A combination of uneven road and me desperately clinging on to the rear wiper blade managed to stop the car hitting a parked van! What a picture that would have made. And I really wouldn't have wanted to have to stick around to have explain it to anyone...

And second, as I was gazing into a shop window ( alright, I was also checking out my own reflection) I heard a voice saying "Excuse me.. Excuse me!" Reflected in the glass behind me I could clearly see a young blonde girl and her friend walking right for me. My voice is something I haven't found yet, and for a brief moment I froze, not knowing what to do. I really didn't want to get into a conversation. My throat is dry at the best of times, especially when trying to speak in a higher pitch. And right now I could feel my throat turn as dry as the sahara. As I turned round, the gods must have smiled because a girl with dark hair had walked between me and the blonde, who was wanting directions to a hotel. Thankfully she was pointed in the right direction by the brunette. Phew. Lucky escape.

Anyway, back at home, a couple of hours later, I discoverd that I didn't have a bit of gravel in my shoe, but my tights were twisted so I was walking on the seam which is supposed to be at the sides of the toes. Now I've got a blister the size of my thumb next to the ball of my foot. But it's not all bad, 'cos every time it hurts, it reminds me how I got it.

And the other bit of bad news: now that I've had a proper wander in my shoes, they must have stretched a bit, and are a bit loose. So the good news: that means shoe shopping!

x

Daphne

Banned Read only
    Hi Daphne,
    Your profile doesn't say if you're in the UK but I guess from the words boot, blokes and pub you are. Last time I took a drive to my next town I was determined to get out and walk but I chickened out, I was fully dressed but wearing a skirt and coat with 4" heeled boots. The only panic moment I had was stopping at a pedestrian crossing, I was only the width of the bonnet away and they looked straight at me and waved in thanks for stopping. I drove home on cloud nine and got out of the car without thinking despite the security lights being on. You did very well so will there be a next time ? I like your excuse for shoe shopping !

Daphne,
    I agree with Teresa, that's UK lingo for sure, glad that your little adventure turned out ok.
    Just don't tell people you were walking down the High Street.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yeah, I'm from the UK. Up north, over to the west. I thought that was on my profile... I'll have to fix that.

Sorry you didn't get a chance to get out and have a walk Teresa. Maybe someday.
    I've never been out for a walk in broad daylight, I guess that's the next challenge. But like you, when I was out for a drive, I stopped to let people cross the road, and they looked straight at me, but just waved to say thanks for stopping.

I remember going home that day feeling elated that I'd 'gotten away with it', but disappointed that hardly anyone paid me any attention! Just can't win.

Daphne

Gone to live my life
    Hi Daphne,

Congrats on your walk. I must say your description was harrowing (rolling car and all) but you did have some great experiences (nice comments, no issues and an horn toot to boot). I particularly liked the part about the woman looking for directions. Sorry to hear about the blister though but if you can find solace in how you got it . . . all the better.

Hugs

Isha

Silver Member
    Wonderful to read you have made a giant leap to go out & about, and it happened without any major problems! Every time will get easier as your confidence builds, and soon going out will be a regular part of presenting your feminine side. Do not be disappointed Daphne "that hardly anyone paid attention" as you probably did present a very feminine image. Enjoy.

Isha.. "I must say your description was harrowing (rolling car and all)" - I can assure you, there was some VERY unlady-like language at that point!

And thanks for the kind words Chari. I was just musing on the strange yin-yang situation where we want to go out and be seen, but also generally want to go 'under the radar'. If I'm up for a day out in daytime though, I'm going to have to travel further afield I think...

x

Daphne

Great post, it exciting to see other out, watch out it is addicting. My drug of chose.

Reality Check
    If you have a reasonable presentation and are away from home, the fear is mostly in your own head. Even if it's pretty obvious that you are a crossdresser, you would hope that the wig and makeup would conceal your true identity. So if people don't know it is you it doesn't really matter what they think.

Platinum Member
    Hi Daphne, It sounds like you have been accepted .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!