Thread: About Time!

About Time!

It may come as no surprise, but I’ve been on HRT for a week now, and I feel marvelous! One week is not very long, and although I know things will fluctuate, things currently feel right and clear. Some smells are really intense, ugh! Last month I came out to my dad as transgender, who knew since I was a child and the last person I needed to tell. So, my journey continues and the next few years should be exciting and a little wild. The toughest thing probably will be helping my young kids through my transition; any pointers from others with children?

I am so happy and fortunate in countless ways. Love to you all!
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Silver Member
    Good for you Ashley, for continuing your feminine adventure in a positive direction! There will be a few "speed bumps" forcing you to slow down, but always be confident, comfortable, and true to who you are, knowing many are here for you! Enjoy.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Congratulations for you Ashley. Your attitude is fantastic, keep it. You will find just as many pleasant developments, like your Dad, to offset the inconveniences. Keep the pleasant ones, and move forward from the others.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Banned Read only
    Our parents can be amazing when we least expect it. My children were grown before I was allowed to see them but my advice is be honest with them, be consistent, be supportive and continue to show your love for them as most fathers do. Everything will workout and be fine.

Platinum Member
    No pointers other than reassuring your children that you'll always be there for them, even if at times they don't seem to be listening. Congratulations, Ashley!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Way to go Ashley. I'm so happy for you. Best of luck to you as you move forward!
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Congrats!
    After 4 days I've only noticed one effect but I'm fairly greatful for it :P

good luck on your journey

Congratulations Ashley! I came out to my 16 and 21 year old daughters this week. It went great. They were living and supportive and went everywhere with me as Suzanne for the week. I hope all the best for you!
    Suzanne

Ashley,
    Like you, when I started letting myself be known to the world, I was selective and really amazed by the responses. Everything from I've known forever, to it's about time. The most recent were members of my ex-wife's family. They came to visit me for a while and I was a little apprehensive of the husband. His neck is a little reddish, and I met them on the porch. I introduced myself as Bobbi, and the female acknowledged that. The husband shook my hand and said that I will always be Bob to him and apologized in advance. His wife told me that everyone in the family has always known. What a shocker and what a relief. All my fear unfounded. Just goes to show ya.

Bobbi

Gold Member
    Welcome to the class of April 2014 Ashley! 12 days for me but I got a bug a few days before starting and still haven't shook all of it. So I am feeling a lot of effects. Just not the ones I want.

I have told two out of three kids. One is on the other side of the country struggling, so I am going to tell him further down the road. The two daughters are 23 and 29. They both were told about me being TG 4 years ago and with each I sat down and explained it all. I gave them room to think about it and come back to me with questions. I also told both that I would rather they don't run around telling everyone, but I wanted them to pick one friend to tell so they had someone else to talk it over with.

So now I had to have another talk with them to close the gap. The youngest has no reservations and was ready to have her boy call me grandma. The older one took some adjustment and seems to be doing okay, but we have to keep talking.

So I would say; tell them with love; don't pressure them for anything, including time; and keep the discussions going although you would want to lean towards their pace. Engage them again if they don't bring it up, but don't press.

Good luck!

Looks like you and I are in the same exact boat! I will have been on HRT for one week as of Thursday. Haven't really noticed any differences much except for having to pee a lot more lol. I have small kids too so I am dealing with that the best way I can. I did a post about how I came out to them if you wanna check it out. You'll have to click on my recent posts though since I don't have the link for it. My kids are 7 and 10. They took it very well. They don't know im transitioning, but then again, none of my family does..minus my two sisters. I don't think they need to know that part yet. All I did was plant the seed about how there are people in this world who feel like their bodies don't match how they feel on the inside. I let them know that inside, I feel like a girl and really want to be a girl. That is all they know. When the time comes when they start to see changes, they will understand why because of that planted seed. I went into much more detail in my other thread though so you might want to check it out. And congrats to both of us for forward motion!!
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Congratulations,Ashley! Nice to hear about your Dad, and, I guess it's impossible to "hide" that from a parent. I told my daughter last summer---but, she was 19 at the time. You know your kids better than anyone, and I'm sure you will find the right words, at the right time.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Smith View Post
    It may come as no surprise,
    About time. What? I can spot proto-TS's "like that". (snaps fingers)

I am so happy and fortunate in countless ways. Love to you all!
    Congrats. well wishes on the future for you.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Congratulations I am happy for you. I wish I can go through the process and I thought about it so long