Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical side effects

Physical side effects

So what have you noticed after starting HRT?
    My first starting dose of spiro made me extremely dry for the first week and since it's been doubled it did the same drying out but it only seems to have lasted a few days.

I'm not sure if it's related but the spot at the base of my neck between my shoulders hurts a bit.

Seeing as the medications are fairly similar I'm just curious as to what your negative effects were and how long they took before they normalized?

Silver Member
    After 9 months about I noticed my hair had become much finer and thinner.
    I don't know if others experienced that or not but it sucks. I had such think full hair before hrt.

I also developed a twitch for a couple years I thought maybe it was hrt but it was probably just nerves and overload stress from transitioning.

Cramps in the leg calfs were bad to for a while.

dryness.

less stamina for physical excercise

Since I am in a relationship, I have found certain activities are enhanced and quite different.

still have foot cramps, but sometimes my toes curl.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 04-22-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

This old gal apparently likes Estradiol Valerate as in 4 months, my skin is noticeably softer, I can now see my waist forming. The hollows in my butt cheeks are filling and tomorrow I heading down to get my first bra fitting. I'll need enhancers, but not forms - yeah!

Corinne I have muscle tightness in the same location, but I had that before the HRT and it actually goes away when I am with my girlfriends. For me, it is a stress reaction and most of my stress is gone when Miki comes out.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Apart from the usual stuff. Shortness of breath, its getting better, but yesterday doing the garden my stamina was far less. I'm going to bring it up with my Dr, is this common or might I need a different prescription?

My skin doesn't look so good, but I think I read elsewhere its gets worse before it gets better.

I'm only about three weeks in but so far nothing, I think maybe my skin is a little softer now but I'm not convinced that's not just due to the weather getting warmer. My skin is always worse in cold weather.

That aside, I haven't noticed anything either good or bad.

I started 10 months ago and was on full dose at month 4. I very rarely have legs cramps (but it has happened) and they happened during last summer after playing a soccer game on hot days.

After 6 weeks on HRT, I was told that I seemed much happier and they didn't know I had started HRT.

I lost some upper body strength during the 2-4 month range. I could tell because it seems like the ladder at work gained weight and now my 18 year old son handles the openning of jars.

It wasn't until about 4 months that the breast tenderness started (still going on) and I began to see subtle changes. Around 6 months, my skin (and it seems like it happened overnight) felt, and still does, very soft.

At about a month I started getting hot flashes. Too much T blocker. An adjustment fixed that.

Silver Member
    Oh yeah hot flashes I remember those in the beginning scared the crap out of me! They were not fun

Thanks all
    Whenever I go on a new medication and get so much as a stomach ache I always seem to think OH GOD I'M DYING!

Banned Read only
    There is one big side effect nobody mentioned. You will turn into a girl! Now that could be good or bad but I am figuring you are trying for that effect so it is good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikiSJ View Post
    The hollows in my butt cheeks are filling...
    That is the one lasting effect of my two months on HRT. I cherish it!

What I experienced at the time was a further softening of my already soft skin, a blessed calming of my GD and the beginning of tenderness in my breasts. The tenderness lingered for just a few months after I went off, and I really miss it.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    There is one big side effect nobody mentioned. You will turn into a girl! Now that could be good or bad but I am figuring you are trying for that effect so it is good, right?
    I only mentioned what I thought might be 'unusual' side effects. Becoming a girl was kinda expected, and very welcome ;-) Life is good.

Corrine your morning wood issue should disappear soon. You should have less action there. I know it had a mind of it's own from your previous posts.

Losing strength, sore boobs, and nicer skin came later for me. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    That's the BIG side effect I'm looking forward to too!!!!

And as far as 'morning wood', that's now a log I put on the campfire...Life is soooo good!
    Namaste
    Live, love, laugh,

Donna

https://www.facebook.com/donna.jbrack

Silver Member
    Spiro has given me perpetual dehydration, so I watch my water intake. I had pretty bad dizziness for a few months, but that finally went away. Mostly, anyway ... and that's also directly related to the dehydration. It also spiked my potassium, so I stay on a strict low-potassium diet.

No E side effects. No finasteride side effects.
    Lea

I think of the expected effects, the first one that I loved was losing the morning wood. Waking up with an erection is a lousy way for a girl to start a day.

Honestly, the only real effect I've noticed so far is that I'm no longer backed by a T fueled libido and that alone reduced quite a bit of stress.
    I don't really care much about my wiener either way but it really is nice not having to deal with it fidgeting about.

Silver Member
    Are you soliciting all effects or (per the title) side effects? I take the term as meaning unintended or secondary effects. Many responses are happy path items.
    Lea

I was more looking for side effects like headache, nausea, pains, ect... but all are welcome really.
    I have other medical issues to begin with so when I start a new medication the thought is like "okay, so where did this come from?"

The only side effects I've have been mentioned. Occasional dizziness in the past (not very often now), increased bathroom time, loss of libido but no headaches or nausea.

My stomach burns a bit and I have a bit of a headache.
    I wonder if it's a result of taking all my pills all at once, do any of you space out the spiro?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    cypro (anti-androgen) increased my gastric acid a fair bit. Finesteride (spelling?) seemed to make my depression worse.

Shortness of breath has been mentioned. That happened to me for sure with spiro, but it also happened with cypro.

cypro and finesteride both led me to sweat a lot on hot days. Not just hot days either: even when it started to cool off in September, I would break into a sweat from walking up a flight of stairs at home. The sweat would mostly come from my forehead, which is a specific condition, "hyperhydrosis" (the sweat has to be unusually high, and has to be localized.) And lord I would go through the water quickly when I got warm !! (This is different than what happened to me on spiro.)

Side effects....oh a few ! I'm into 13 months on HRT.My sex drive is zero now,erections are a thing of the past(YEA!!),loss of upper body mass and I figure about 30-40 % of my strength.Gained some weight on my hips,lower tummy but losing the beer gut and discovering that I have a waist(YEA !),a tiny bit of weight to my bum,but I fear my dieting may be responsible for the slow booty buildup. My boobs are a full B Cup now and growing....but the tissue under the nipples is sore....good pain ...right ? Skin is smoother and my complextion has really improved,hair is now finer and not as much of it.Facial hair is very thin,never had a lot to start with so I'm very lucky and it is sorta fair;laser treatments have really helped....the only area that bothers me is under my chin.I can go a full day or so with no fear of beard shadow.
    I initally had nausea ,but it soon went away and I've been really pleased at the lack of any odd reactions.The Doc keeps a close eye on my blood work and physical state...all good.I take Premarin and started Spiro last month. I try to keep my fluid intake up there as it's good to keep the system "flushed".I've had a bit of constipation,but will use some prune juice as a suppliment to my intake of OJ.
    Emotionally....well..very more mellow....no more T rages;very teary and sensitive to my appearance and to comments.Learned that it is not all about me ,but about others and their feelings....I'm not as opinionated as I used to be;I've learned how to listen.
    I'm very pleased with my progress,I have a plan and a goal;I know my limitations....I'm at peace within after such a long time of doubts and fears....thank god I took the time to see a Psychologist to help me along when times looked bleak.
    I'm well chuffed with ME.
    PaulaAnn.
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

Smells have become really intense for me. Maybe I'm turning into a dog instead of a woman?
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.