Thread: places to go out dressed

Question places to go out dressed

Hi there it's meg how is everyone just a quick question i am going out next week with my parents to do the shops and have some lunch but i am a little worried about doing lunch because i am going to a normal resturant do you think this will be ok thanks any advice would be greatly apreciated meg.

Megan - I'd love to help with some advice but I can't speak from experience of going anywhere dressed... I'm sure some UK girls will chip in at some point, because this is quite a local/ cultural thing around acceptance.

Thinking right off the cuff, if I were to choose somewhere 'normal', probably a large Harvester pub where you can find a quiet corner to (in my case) remain as hidden as possible... Either that or a very dark old pub with lots of nooks for the same reason!

I can't recall what part of the country you're in - that could make a difference? I can imagine city restaurants at lunch time will be very busy - and people may not be so interested in what goes on around them... Depends on how you feel about it too.... Do you want to 'own it' and put it right out there, or be more discreet?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Gone to live my life
    Hi Megan,

I really cannot speak to the UK but from the perspective of someone who has gone out to several restaurants I have never had a problem. I find most people congenial and the servers are friendly. It really depends on the restaurant venue but I think if you are doing lunch it should be fine.

Hugs

Isha

As Katey said, depends what part of the UK you are from.

Personally I can't give help from personal experience, but I have been advised by my local Beau society that most places near me (Bedford) are friendly as they have never had any problems. But I am on a social media site that some of the people I have befriended are from around here and they hold events every so often, but I've been to busy to go to any. But tbf I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also good luck, and go you for going out and telling your folks. I don't think I'll ever tell my parents, due to the way my family is :/

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Sorry, I am not in the UK, so I am not sure about there. But where I am I have heard many say they are afraid to go out and will only go to LGBTQ friendly places. I have never been to any specifically LGBTQ friendly places. I go anywhere and everywhere, but I dress and act specifically with the intention of blending with the general public.

I will say that possibly some ability to go where you want is dictated by what you choose to wear, how well you pull of your look, and how you choose to behave. Being as I know none of those things about you, I can't really begin to speculate what your experience will really be like. You know, if you dress normal enough, and act normal enough, and look normal enough, you should have no problems. If you go to lunch with a red latex skirt, 6 inch heels, a cropped top with G sized breasts, and a rainbow poodle perched on top of your head, which is fine if you want to do that sort of thing, don't be surprised if you attract some attention.

Banned Read only
    Yes, you will be fine. You have to believe that you have every right to be there and therefore you will not "act" while you are out. Just be. No one cares, really. Smile and have a good time.

and Nadine hit out of the park! (as we say in the baseball world of the USA). For you UKers, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

Aspiring Member
    I am from the UK and have gone out dressed all over the place and never had a problem. On the contrary - people are really nice. This even applies to places southerners might think are really straight-laced like York, Newcastle, Glasgow and Highland villages. Though I can do the walk and the talk and I have been told I look good I do not pass (nor am I trying to - I am not a woman). So as long as you avoid obvious no-go areas you will be fine. Enjoy. Smile and you will enjoy it much more.

Banned Read only
    Dress stores!!! They want you to buy something and if you are passable enough to not bother other customers you will be welcome. My fav's in Canada are Melanie Lynne, Marshall's and Laura.

Megan,
    As everyone else here has said no worries really.
    I went into a small boutique in Kings Cross and was fitted for an inflatable bra, why?
    Because they knew I was a guy and they wanted to see how I would look wearing one of their bras.
    I did not buy any of the ten dresses they also tried on me.
    Why only ten dresses, well it was getting to closing time and we all wanted to go home.

I still have the inflatable bra and when I am in London I will visit them again.

What am I saying?
    Present yourself as an interesting person and the assistants will open up to ou and are very helpful and open minded.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.