Thread: T Blockers And Hair Regrowth

T Blockers And Hair Regrowth

I was curious to know if any of you have experienced hair regrowth in areas of male pattern baldness after being on t blockers or just hormones in general. If so, which ones? Just curious to know if I have anything to look forward to in that respect. I know about Avadart and hope to one day be able to afford it...assuming I even still need it.
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

I had a thinning hairline. Not really bad or noticeable. Within three months of estrogen and T blocker my hairstylist noticed that I was getting regrowth. After 10 months, my hairline is almost completely back to where it was a couple of years ago. I think contributing factors are:
    My hairline reccession was fairly new. I've heard that bald spots from years ago stay bald spots.
    I'm taking cyproterone acetate as my T blocker. It has an excellent track record for hair regrowth in both males and females.
    Maybe it's just genetics.
    As a huge bonus- Hair growth in any male places (except beard) stopped completely. I now have zero hair on my back or chest. (I started with very little, but used to shave my chest weekly in the shower). My arms are bare, and I shave my legs if I'm wearing a skirt (maybe once a month).
    I have been very lucky. T blockers should have a positive result in general with your hair, but I've heard many stories, positive, and negative, that I think you'll just have to wait and see. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I've heard that bald spots from years ago stay bald spots.
    That matches what my therapist told me. She said hair could grow back if it had fallen out but the follicle wasn't actually dead yet. Once the follicle's dead, it's dead... there's no Easter resurrection, alas.

I'm fairly lucky in that I have minimal hair loss so far. I'm chomping at the bit to get on T blockers; have an appointment set for mid-May to start the process.

Silver Member
    Follicles don't really die. They progressively miniaturize under the influence of DHT and eventually go completely dormant.

If a follicle isn't too far along in that process, a DHT blocker like finasteride or dutasteride may bring it back. Something to help blood flow to the area (e.g., minoxidil) can help. Most don't get enough regrowth for female presentation purposes unless the hair loss was relatively minor anyway.

I have taken Spiro and finasteride (as well as estradiol) for 18 months, and used Minoxidil for just over 2 years. I would say it got me about 40% regrowth in the crown area tapering to zilch at my original and long-gone front hairline. That's enough to make a difference in male presentation, but no more. Absolutely not enough for female presentation. Not even close, and 40% would be considered a good result for most people.

That leaves wigs, hair systems, transplants, and Hail Mary hopes (e.g., cloning).

Good luck!
    Lea

I used minoxidil for 4 months and got some regrowth. Then began finasterid. A scalp advancement completed the work so I no longer use wigs. But then I am lucky.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I have been on M2F HRT for over two years, including the testosterone blocker spironolactone. I had a thinning area on the crown of my head before and that has since then filled in. My hair is also fuller. Also my hair growth on my body has slowed down significantly to the point where I don't need to shave my legs more than once a month. I used to shave them once a week.

Johanna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him