Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Ballet Class

Back in Ballet Class

After a four-month hiatus, I am back in ballet classes again. Before my break, my teacher told me that they would "save a place at the barre for me" (I guess it's kind of like "Cheers" :-) ). Last week I showed up to class and picked up where I left off. I was a little rusty, but not as much as I had expected. Certain steps came naturally, others will require a little more practice. I've lost some of my flexibility, but I think I can regain it. We've started learning pirouettes, which gave me lot's of trouble the last time we tried to learn them, but I have a good feeling about them this time around. I can't do them correctly yet, but with a few more weeks of practice, I think I'll get there.

All in all, in felt good to slip on the old tights and slippers and dance with the ladies (and one man) again.

Good for you, Jamie!

If I thought I could take up ballet and develop a physique like yours without it killing me stone dead in one lesson, I'd do it tomorrow...

But it would totally off me, so I'll leave the practical to you, and stick to watching Black Swan on DVD...

I did see a few performances of London Contemporary Dance a few years back... and the thought of Sylvie Guillaume does engender some interesting feelings...

And I like the 'place at the barre' comment... artsy jokes...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Hi Jamie,

Glad you're back after the long hiatus.

I too was off for 4 months with work. I still can't do a proper pirouette but we're working on them in class.

Good Luck!

Platinum Member
    Jamie, as a person with two left feet, no rhythm, and incredible inflexibility, i admire your willingness to endure the demanding discipline of ballet!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good for u, Jamie! Practice may NOT "make perfect", but it certainly "makes improvement"!

My pole dancing skills were shamed in Vegas last month. I must practice for next year's DLV so I can hold my own there.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Jamie,
    If you have a love of ballet as you appear to, keep at it.
    If you like women the rewards can be great.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

oh nice! I am also looking to return to Ballet and hopefully next season will join. My friend has found a good adult class (god they are rare... who thought of the idea of mixing aerobics with ballet and call it adult ballet classes????) In my previous class in another town we also had a few men joining us. It was lovely. The younger girls were a bit apprehensive of having a guy in class (well 16 years old teenagers are just well 16 year old teenagers ha!) but the rest was bring it on... there can be more!

that said. ballet is excellent to get posture and poise. It doesn't matter that you can not do a perfect pirouette or look like a flailing elephant when attempting a grand jeté. The thing that makes ballet so valuable as a hobby, is to look at yourself and improve improve improve.

HAVE FUN!

I took ballet in high school, and really enjoyed it. The flow & movement felt really good. Although I'm still flexible because of martial arts, I think if I ever went back to ballet it would look like a Clydesdale doing Dressage.

Good for you in getting back into your pointe shoes!

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jamie,

Welcome back, haven't seen you around for awhile. Glad to hear you are back at ballet as I know you were really enjoying it.

Hugs

Isha

Glad to hear you're back, 4 months is a long time. I haven't stopped, still doing two classes a week (90 minutes each), plus an hour at home in the weekend.

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement and sharing your own stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    If I thought I could take up ballet and develop a physique like yours without it killing me stone dead in one lesson, I'd do it tomorrow...
    You make me blush, Katey. I don't know how much ballet has helped my physique, but it certainly has improved my balance and grace.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Jamie, as a person with two left feet, no rhythm, and incredible inflexibility, i admire your willingness to endure the demanding discipline of ballet!
    I once had two left feet myself. After four years of ballet, I wouldn't claim to have a proper left and right yet, but two left feet is no longer true. Maybe two left and a right?

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Good for u, Jamie! Practice may NOT "make perfect", but it certainly "makes improvement"!
    True. If we don't practice, there's no way to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkeliini View Post
    oh nice! I am also looking to return to Ballet and hopefully next season will join. My friend has found a good adult class (god they are rare... who thought of the idea of mixing aerobics with ballet and call it adult ballet classes????) In my previous class in another town we also had a few men joining us. It was lovely. The younger girls were a bit apprehensive of having a guy in class (well 16 years old teenagers are just well 16 year old teenagers ha!) but the rest was bring it on... there can be more!
    Thanks. Yes, I've been lucky to find an a really good adult class. There's a big focus on technique and a clear intent that the exercises learned at the barre prepare you for the moves steps during center work. Also, everyone has been so friendly and supportive. And although at times I've been the only "man" in class, we've had as many as four at one time. BTW, always good to hear from a GG! Thanks for joining the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CamillaCD View Post
    Glad to hear you're back, 4 months is a long time. I haven't stopped, still doing two classes a week (90 minutes each), plus an hour at home in the weekend.
    That's great Camilla! You must be making great strides with that much practice time.

I wouldn't say great strides. It may be that I have reached a skill level where getting better requires more one-on-one tutoring.

Jamie: So glad to hear about your classes again. What was your 4-month break for?

We are just finishing up our spring semester and then will roll right into our summer session. Same class, it just keeps on going, and going, and going. Our class has shrunk a bit and we are now back down to a core group of about 5 adults. Class is still going wonderfully though. Our school's recital is in a few weeks, and we adults will most likely volunteer to help out like we did for their Cracked Nut last winter......I had a blast doing that BTW. We were talking about the schools upcoming recital in class yesterday and our instructor told us she was contemplating expanding the recital next year, and it got us adults thinking about if we should ask her if we might be able to do a small simple piece in it for ourselves. We will see. But so glad to hear from you again. Keep on Dance'n !!

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Platinum Member
    Hi Jamie , That sounds like a wonderful time I love to watch the Ballet .
    If I was 50yrs younger and 100lbs lighter that would be a lot of fun.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Last night I did a double class: my regular ballet plus the subsequent jazz class as a makeup for a class I mentioned earlier. I felt really good during the ballet class. The teacher even remarked that my dancing was much improved, and that I had a "just go for it" attitude that was needed to dance well. We worked more on pirouettes and I'm getting closer, although I still haven't perfected them yet. My goal is to nail that before this session ends. During the stretches, the teacher spent some time with me, and tried to get me to do the side splits, but I'm not ready yet. I got further than I have since I lost them, but then I felt a sharp pull in my left thigh and had to give up before I could get my chest to the floor.

The jazz class was difficult. The steps were faster than those we learn in ballet and the combinations require remembering more steps. I really wasn't able to keep up with either of the two combinations we learned. One thing that bothered me was that there were different arm movements for the guys (i.e., me as there were no other guys in either class). I didn't like be singled out, and of course, I would be happy to be included with the girls. I did well during the stretches so that at least gave me something positive to focus on from the class. Despite not being very good at it, I do enjoy the music we dance to in jazz better. The steps are more modern and, unlike ballet, some could even be used if I went out dancing in a club.

I did another double class this week. In ballet, I made good progress on my pirouettes. I was actually spinning all the way around and not falling down. Now I have to work on my spotting (a technique that turns your head to keep your eyes focus on a fixed spot as long as possible during your spin) in order to avoid dizziness.

I did better in jazz class this week than last week. We learned another complicated combination, but I felt like I had the gist of this one down, even if I got some of the nuances wrong. The teacher asked me why I didn't take jazz regularly, and I had to explain that I couldn't do the timing of the course on a regular basis.

One interesting thing as I was leaving, another guy walked in for the next class and the teacher remarked that it is too bad we're not in the same class; she would like to see us work together. She mentioned that "he has a different style than I do, his is more athletic." Thinking how she's been telling me to jump higher and move across the floor more, I said, "I know you keep asking me to be more athletic." She stopped and said, "No, I don't want that for you. That's not your style." If I was an ordinary guy, I might have been hurt at hearing that, but of course, I'm thinking "Does she sense my femininity?" and "does she want my dancing to express that more?"

Jamie - that sounds like a great opportunity to open a conversation with your teacher about why she thinks your style is different...

You don't have to reveal anything - just ask an open and honestly curious question to see what answer you get back... You don't have to confirm or deny anything... I don't think I could stop myself...

Mind you... at the end of any class like that I'd hardly be able to breathe, let alone talk intelligently... I really admire your drive to do that..

Go on - ask the question...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I have always loved the look of ballet. The grace, poise, and fluidity of the movements.

I have even downloaded some exercise and training videos based on ballet. Honestly I think it will help me to maintain and/or improve my presentation of Micki.

Regretfully though I have been too lazy to get off my backside to start following up with the videos.

Thankfully all the years of bicycle riding to school when I was younger has allowed me to stay in a somewhat decent shape.

I applaud you Jamie for going out and regularly doing this.
    Last edited by Darling Micki; 05-21-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: posted accidentally before I had finished.

Jamie: Yes, I too would be interested if you can open up a conversation with your instructor about your style you are approaching & learning ballet. It would be interesting to see how she is intrepeting you. On and off I have thought about asking my teachers the same thing, but have not done it yet.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Had a great ballet class the other night. I got a lot kudos from the teacher. We learned a new combination and I picked it up pretty quickly. I did very well with my stretches, and I can get my nose now about two inches from the floor while doing the side splits. Maybe next week, I'll have recovered my lost flexibility. But the best moment was during the pirouettes, my teacher told me, "That's it. Now you're showing some coordination!" I still have to improve my spotting, and clockwise spins on my left toes are easier than counter-clockwise spins on my right toes, but I feel like I've really crossed a barrier. When we first tried them two years ago, I thought I would never figure it out. I'm ecstatic!

The class wasn't all roses, though; I still made mistakes. I once got chastised for the wrong timing on rond de jambes: we were supposed to do three series of one slow than two quick, I wasn't getting it. I also still can't get my back in the position she wants when I do plies. It seems every class she comes over and pushes my stomach in and up while also pushing my upper back from behind. Even when I'm thinking of this, its not enough for her. I guess I just have too many years of bad posture, and its going to take a lot of work to fix it.

I'm sorry to say that I did not have a chance to ask her about what style of ballet suited me best. Maybe next time.

BTW, Micki, my personal opinion is that there's is nothing like ballet to make you feel feminine. You should try out the videos, just be careful. But there's nothing to compare to taking a ballet class and being surrounded by women, especially when all of you are dancing as one graceful troupe.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Cool update Jamie. Thanks

I can not agree more with what Ms. Jamie has said. She put it very well.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Nice. I remember taking ballet as a 25 year-old male. The teacher was bemused but accommodating. I stayed with it for a few years but drifted away in my 30's. Lately i've been thinking of going back because I note I'm losing mobility and I feel like ballet can restore my range of motion without having to drink the philosophical kool-aid of yoga. Besides, I miss the tights.

Hi Jamie, welcome back. When I was very young, I dreamt of taking ballet lessons but it was out of the question with a very strict father and the fact that I was the tallest and heaviest boy on the block.

My last class was a combination of ups and downs. On the positive side, I was able to touch my head to the floor while in the side splits, so my flexibility is almost back! On the negative side, although I thought my pirouettes were improving, another student pulled me aside after class and gave me pointers because she saw me "struggling." Finally, there was a new guy in class. Either he's a natural or he's had ballet lessons somewhere before. He did quite well for his first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    Nice. I remember taking ballet as a 25 year-old male. The teacher was bemused but accommodating. I stayed with it for a few years but drifted away in my 30's. Lately i've been thinking of going back because I note I'm losing mobility and I feel like ballet can restore my range of motion without having to drink the philosophical kool-aid of yoga. Besides, I miss the tights.
    You should go back. And I agree, the tights are a nice plus. You might have a harder time getting away with them in yoga class.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine cd View Post
    Hi Jamie, welcome back. When I was very young, I dreamt of taking ballet lessons but it was out of the question with a very strict father and the fact that I was the tallest and heaviest boy on the block.
    Yes, I would never have had the courage to ask my parents about ballet when I was young. However, what's stopping you now? We have people of all ages and body types in my class. And I should mention, although size might inhibit a professional career, there's no reason why bigger girls can't enjoy ballet. Just the other night I was watching a show called "Big Ballet" on Ovation (I believe our friends across the pond had it on BBC last year) that was about assembling a troupe of non-traditional-sized dancers to perform Swan Lake. I like the message that "dance is for everyone."