Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Ballet Class

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Thank u for continuing to post your accomplishments, Jamie. I find u to be a shining example of what we can do when we dedicate our mind and body to a task.

U r an inspiration!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Just a little update from this side of the pond. The semester ended a couple of weeks ago. Still, lots of ballet this week so far. Last sunday I watched the school's version of "Alice in wonderland". Only the jazz ballet of the adult classes had a part in the show, so no stage time for me this time. It's fun to see how the kids perform on stage. Some are very serious, some own the stage and some are occupied with looking for their parents in the audience.

This week and the next two the school has set up summer classes. Three classes of 90 minutes each week. They are open for everybody above 12 years. Last monday there was a good mix of teenagers and us adults.

Finally, tomorrow I'll see "Swan lake" at the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet. I've seen the ballet several times on DVD and Blu-ray, but this is the first time I'm seeing it live.

You're much more flexible than I. I've still got 14 inches down to the floor when doing the side splits. I am able to do one turn pirouettes fairly good, but doing two turns stable is still a bit in the future.

Aspiring Member
    I have been fascinated by ballet for as long as I remember. How these professional dancers can do what they do just defies the imagination. I remember seeing "Dr. Coppelius" as a youngster and it blew my mind. I once read a ballerina say, ballet is all about putting your body into unnatural positions it is not really supposed to be able to go into. Thus the injury and pain that goes along with it.

Some years ago I wound up renting a house that by chance had a full ballet studio in the basement. I was in heaven. I bought a ballet for beginners book but unfortunately did not get too far with it. I was too transfixed on seeing myself amidst all of those mirrors in full ballerina mode. I would love to have that studio back and can only imagine the fun you're having.
    Last edited by bimini1; 06-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

We started a new session this week. A lot of new faces in class; no boys, which suits me just fine. We didn't really do anything difficult, and yet I struggled with some of the combinations. I even got corrections on some of the stretches, which is an area where I normally excel. I have been recovering from a pretty bad cold, so maybe that was what went wrong. Hopefully, next week will go better.

Jamie: I think you and I had the same cold.

I got mine during when I was helping backstage for my school's annual spring recital. It really knocked me down, was out for 3 days of work, and a lot of people at work had it also. Then the studio cancelled a few of the early summer adult class dates due to low summer attendance-due to school graduations `immediately after the recital, and with me being sick, (I could not take a deep breath, or laugh, without starting to forcefully cough and bring back up thick green tinted mucus from all the draining that took place) I ended being out of class for 5 weeks. It was only just this past weekend that I was able to start in class for the summer session. This Saturday, at the end of class, I was presently surprised at how well I did, and more importantly, how good my legs felt today-a day after class. However during class yesterday, during our barre' stretches, I could easily detect how much flexibility I had lost over these past 5 weeks of in-activity.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 06-28-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

This week's class went much better than last week's. Like Sarah, I think I've finally put my cold behind me. No real coughing in days. I got a lot more compliments from the teacher this time, at one point she was basically jumping up and down with excitement at how well I was doing a combination, especially in terms of punctuating the kicks to the beat of the music. I was also used to demonstrate one of her crueler stretches. I did pretty well on most of the exercises, but I struggled with the timing of grande jettes (leaps through the air with legs outstretched). It was a very fast-paced class and by the end I must have lost 5 pounds in sweat. I know I'm going to be sore for a few days...

Had another good class this week, although I had to miss the second half of the US/Belgium match to attend (hey, I've got my priorities straight). I was especially excited to hear that I even got my posture right a few times. We learned a polka as well as a new jump called an assemble (you jump off of one leg, bring both legs together in the air and land on two feet). I think I did okay for my first time with the jump, but its going to take a lot of practice before I'm really comfortable with it. It was a really hot day, so I was dripping sweat by the end of the class... no wait, let me rephrase that, I was "sparkling," which is more appropriate for a lady, LOL.

I am feeling so energized after my class this week. I felt like I was really tuned into the music and not just robotically doing the moves, you know, actually dancing! I nailed the echappes and we did pirouettes which I am continuing to improve on. I stuck around for the jazz dance class and although it was the middle of their session, I picked it up as if I had been in the class from the start. We learned a fun, fast moving combination and although my teacher initially teased me about my inability to stay on beat as we ran through it, when it came time to actually do it, I did really good. There were a few times where my foot ended up in the wrong place or my hands went in the wrong direction, but overall I was doing the right steps exactly to the beat. My teacher was very impressed, especially given that I usually struggle learning the combinations in jazz. I also did great on the stretches. I easily got my chest to the floor from a side split and then there was another stretch where she kept on saying, "If you want more, do this..." and I kept on doing it. At the end she told everyone else to rest but me so she could take my stretch even further: while laying with my stomach on the floor, she wanted me to bend my back and my leg so that my "foot could touch my nose." Obviously, we didn't get there but I got pretty far.

About the only negative, is that my teacher got on my case about my posture again, and I think my problem is that although I can stand up straight when standing still, when I bend my legs, I tend to bend my spine. I also had a tendency to hunch up my shoulders when I try to stretch my back, and I have to constantly remind myself to isolate my abdominal muscles and my back and keep my shoulders relaxed.

Anyway, it was a great workout and it was fun to watch myself in the mirror moving in unison with the rest of the class. If you haven't guessed by now, I really love dance!

I did another double class this week. First ballet and then jazz. When I arrived, there was a young woman in class who had the coolest leotard. It was black with white racer stripes and a zipper in the front. I wanted to compliment her on it and ask where she got it, but chose to hold my tongue. Maybe if she was a regular I would have felt more comfortable talking to her. After a few minutes, we got started. I had missed the last few weeks, so I was a bit rusty. The teacher used me to point out some problems with my arabesque (a classic ballet position where you stand on one leg, with the other extended behind you). After she made the adjustments, she said that it looked lovely. However, when we started dancing, she chastised me for not being able to do it as well as I did at the barre. Otherwise, I did pretty well with the combinations, and felt that my pirouettes are really coming along. We had do a sequence of them across the floor, and apart from a little dizziness near the end, I felt like I was doing okay. I even felt good enough to try the slightly more challenging version of them.

Jazz class did not go as well as last time, but it was still fun. The combination started off with a jazz pullback and kick that I just can't seem to do at speed. I muddled through, but I was mostly following other people in the class and would often do the wrong step or be just a beat behind. At least I didn't give up. Further insult to injury is that two weeks off was enough to lose some of my flexibility. When doing the side splits, I couldn't get my chest to the floor, only to about three inches above. Alas, it takes so long to gain flexibility, but it can be lost so fast!

Jamie - I still feel it's totally admirable that you choose to do this for fitness, poise and posture...

I remain completely in awe and envy, and still exhausted from just reading about it... I'd love to be able to find a local class to do it here - chances are it probably remains one of those 'female only' bastions... So I'll just have to content myself with reading about what you do...

Keep working on that pirouette!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I bought myself some new dance tights for my birthday, and debuted them in my class this week. Normally, mens tights are black. However these tights from Wear Moi are grey and also quite soft, especially compared to the scratchy mens tights from Capezio. I was a little self-conscious in them, as the light grey tends to show not only muscle tone but also every bulge.

We only had 8 people in class, which meant we each got personal attention, but also meant that the teacher worked us really hard. We had a week off, and I think it showed, 'cause was a little rusty. I got more corrections than kudos, but at least she liked some of my work. There was one combo at the bar that had some fast footwork that I had trouble with. But when we repeated it to the other side, I was told that I did much better. She also liked my developpe during a slow combination on the floor. We did pirouettes again, and I think I took a step backwards. She even tried to help me by giving a push as I began my spin. Our last dance was a combo that ended with grande jetes (running leaps) across the floor. Sometimes I got it, and other times I found myself leaping off the wrong foot.

Despite trying to drink plenty water, I had a few muscle cramps during class. And by the end, I was sweating profusely. So I guess I at least got a good workout, even if my dancing wasn't as beautiful as I would have liked.

BTW, Katey except in very small towns you should be able to find a school willing to have a male-bodied person in class. Most instructors and serious students realize that ballet needs more men and they tend to be very encouraging. After all, isn't the UK the home of Billy Elliot? Or you could just go as Katey, which would probably be more fun!

Jamie: My classes are continuing as well, but very small attendance at adult summer classes, as a lot of folks are taking the summer off, and I myself have had to do some unexpected traveling for work again, so I have missed many more than I had wanted to. Hopefully things will return to normal in the fall as far as who is in class. Small classes are nice, I get a lot more attention and correction, which I can always use, but the class seems to drag on without all my acquaintences. Enjoy your new dance things........and of course, Happy Birthday!!!

And hey......don't make fun of my scratchy Capezio men's tights!! Funny enough for my home practice I have just tried my fist pair of ladies Capezio convertible tights and I just love them!!!
    Last edited by Sarah V; 08-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
    I did another double class this week. First ballet and then jazz. When I arrived, there was a young woman in class who had the coolest leotard. It was black with white racer stripes and a zipper in the front. I wanted to compliment her on it and ask where she got it, but chose to hold my tongue.
    So you are doing these classes 'en-homme'?

I'm stoked that you have a school which supports you. I ran out of girls tall enough to pair with me, which was an issue.

I'm just trying to understand your approach. Most schools don't ever expect guys to do pointe.

...curious

-MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    So you are doing these classes 'en-homme'?

I'm stoked that you have a school which supports you. I ran out of girls tall enough to pair with me, which was an issue.

I'm just trying to understand your approach. Most schools don't ever expect guys to do pointe.

...curious

-MM
    MM, yes I attend en homme, if you will. These are adult beginner/mid-level classes. No one is en pointe and there is no pairing. Every once in a while, she'll give slightly different instructions for the few men in the class; usually in terms of port de bras (for those who don't know their ballet terms, this means how you hold your arms, not how to get your lingerie across the river).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah V View Post
    And hey......don't make fun of my scratchy Capezio men's tights!! Funny enough for my home practice I have just tried my fist pair of ladies Capezio convertible tights and I just love them!!!
    Hi Sarah. Can you honestly say that you like mens Capezio tights? You should at least try M. Stevens tights for class. They're a bit like mens running tights, but with feet, and are a bit easier to find than the Wear Moi. I agree that ladies Capezio tights are quite nice. They are are softer and cheaper than the mens. No fair!

Tights were not an issue then, (now? I'm having a hard time finding male cycling clothes in my size)

Shoes on the other hand... ballet shoes in a men's 10+ are a bitch to find.

Step-step-LEAP! Step step- CRASH! (Room too short!)

No pianos were injured producing this film....

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

You go girl.
    Angie

Hi Jamie et al, I've read your posts with interest and found them truly inspiring - so much so that I start ballet classes on September 12. I can't wait!

My interest began with Mary Helen Bowers' Ballet Beautiful DVDs, which involve ballet exercises, mainly on the mat. I wanted to get fit and make my body as feminine as possible. I tried yoga once and wasn't a fan - too much "omming".

So then I discovered the DVDs and have been doing them most nights for the past month or so. The results are amazing - and very feminising, which is great.

So I have a few questions:

1. Jamie, and the other ladies doing classes, have you considered doing exams in ballet? My class does exams and I fully intend to take them. It would really give me something to strive for.

2. Do you wear a dance belt to class? I don't really fancy the idea.

3. Tights. I wear female clothes whenever possible - but most of my wardrobe is androgynous - female clothes but fairly plain, so that nobody will know. I fully intend to take class in female T-shirt and leggings. But I'd love to work my way up to tights one day. Are there any female tights that are thicker, like the men's? I'd rather not wear men's tights.

4. Would you say that ballet has helped to feminise you -both in a physical way in terms of toning, and in terms of poise and how you hold yourself?

5. Are there any ballet moves I should learn before my first class?

That's it for now - but I expect there'll be many more questions in due course. Thank you, Audrey x

Ballet sounds like a lot of fun! I kind of want to try it and it's not only because of the cute outfits. :P

Quote Originally Posted by balletbeautiful View Post
    Hi Jamie et al, I've read your posts with interest and found them truly inspiring - so much so that I start ballet classes on September 12. I can't wait!
    Hi Audrey! I am wowed to hear that I have inspired you. Here's my answers to your questions.:

1. They don't offer exams where I am. I'm guessing maybe you're in the UK where they do the RAD system? Even if I had the opportunity I don't think I would do them, unless I needed to pass in order to advance to the next course.

2. I do wear a dance belt. It's basically thick, thong underwear, so I would think CIS-gendered people would be more against the idea than our kind.

3. I've always worn male tights to class. I have on occasion worn a unisex unitard. If you are comfortable being seen in female clothes, then wear whatever you want. I recommend shaving your legs if you're going to wear female tights, but if not, there are some brands that are a bit thicker. And you can always wear two pairs if your hair isn't too dark.

4. Absolutely, ballet has helped feminize me. The way it loosens your muscles gives you a more feminine, fluidity of movement. My poise and posture is much better and I have learned to move my arms in a more elegant way.

5. I would recommend knowing the 5 positions, knowing demi-plie and grand-plie, and knowing tendus. These are the basic skills. If you have a true intro class, then they should probably teach you everything. However, I've been attending an adult "beginner class" that was very much a trial by fire. It took me about a year before I felt like I could keep up with the rest of the class. In most places in the world, there simply aren't enough adult students to merit a full progression of courses, so instead you have a handful of classes, each with a great variance in student skill and ability.

Have fun! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryce View Post
    Ballet sounds like a lot of fun! I kind of want to try it and it's not only because of the cute outfits. :P
    It is! And I don't even wear the cute outfits in class (although I do have five gorgeous tutus at home).

Audrey,
    I hope you enjoy your ballet classes as much as I did my jazz/ballet classes I took with my gf for two years. I have read Jamie's accounts over the years and, though Jamie is one serious student, I found most adult classes a lot more relaxed. Mine was mainly ladies who were wanting to relive dance like they enjoyed in their youth as a form of exercise to keep in shape and enjoy. So it's not something to get uptight about in my opinion.

As far as what to wear be it male tights, feminine tights, tights and leotards, wrap skirt, wear what you want. I attended classes with my girlfriend starting out in a ladies solid black shortsleeved leotard and matching tights and later wore some items my girlfriend gifted me. We all had fun and the ladies included me just like one of them. I would recommend that whatever you want to dress in for class, wear it all to your first class confidently, and that is how they will expect you to be dressed from then on. If you are a bit over the top, they will politely tell you and give you a chance to dial it back a bit. Men are welcome in most classes any way they can get them and certainly don't want to discourage you in any way. I think Jamie will agree on that. Above all, enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Hi Audrey,

It's great to hear that you're starting ballet. I started 4 years ago and love it.

I'd like to throw out one piece of advise I think is missing from the answers to your questions regarding what to wear.

"Ask the studio what dress code they require, if any."

I go in "male" mode but have been wearing men's tights since the first month. Yes, they're thicker than women's hosiery but as was mentioned the hair doesn't show. My daughters tie dyed my tights for their crazy father.

With regards to a dance belt. If you're wearing tights, you're going to need something to keep everything in place. I've practiced without one and things got out of control very quickly. My studio requires all male dancers to wear a dance belt. Yes, you can think of it as a thick thong. You get used to it.

Well, that's everything I had to say. I hope you have a wonderful time with your lessons and please let us know how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
    Despite trying to drink plenty water, I had a few muscle cramps during class. And by the end, I was sweating profusely. So I guess I at least got a good workout, even if my dancing wasn't as beautiful as I would have liked.
    You need to keep your sodium & potassium levels up, hon. It will help prevent cramps. Can you bring Gatorade or snacks into the hall? If so, you should. (banana chips and salted peanuts are my favorites)

I miss ballet. I kind of substituted it with kung-fu later, but I miss the *expression* that ballet has. With compressed discs (from doing kf jumps & landings for so long) and bone spurs, it isn't an option now.

Thank you for the 'diary' you are keeping here

- MM

Hi ladies, and many thanks for such great replies and such good advice.

Let me answer a few points:

Yes, I'm in the UK. Most adult classes don't do exams, but the dance school I'm going to does. Hurrah! I just think it will help spur me on to improve if I have something to aim for. Plus, I love certificates!

Hmmm, guess I need to invest in a dance belt then. Was hoping I could get away without one. Any advice on which kind to get?

No problems as regards hairy legs - mine have been shaved for years. Can you recommend any of the thicker ladies' ballet tights? Again, what make?

I've got both plies and tendus sorted now, so that's OK. Still need to learn positions 3-5.

Randee, there's nothing I'd like more than to walk into class in my cropped cardigan, pink tights and black leotard over the top, but I'm just not brave enough. I'll start "drab" and then introduce tights and whatnot after a few weeks, I think.

Thanks again for all your help, ladies. I really can't wait to get started.

Audrey x

PS Jamie, has ballet helped in terms of a more feminine figure? Or is the difference more in terms of poise and movement? Thank you. x

Quote Originally Posted by Randee View Post
    I found most adult classes a lot more relaxed.
    I have heard that about many classes. My instructor can be a task master (she also teaches college-level classes). Although many of her students are relaxed, she'll push the ones who are there to learn. I think that's why I get so many corrections (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Men are welcome in most classes any way they can get them and certainly don't want to discourage you in any way. I think Jamie will agree on that.
    Agreed. Too many men are "afraid" of ballet.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda E. Woodworth View Post
    I'd like to throw out one piece of advise I think is missing from the answers to your questions regarding what to wear.

"Ask the studio what dress code they require, if any."
    Great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    You need to keep your sodium & potassium levels up, hon. It will help prevent cramps. Can you bring Gatorade or snacks into the hall? If so, you should. (banana chips and salted peanuts are my favorites)
    Thanks for the suggestion, MM.

Hmmm, guess I need to invest in a dance belt then. Was hoping I could get away without one. Any advice on which kind to get?
    I have a couple of Capezio dance belts, they're fine. One is quilted, which I think is slightly more comfortable than the regular ones.

No problems as regards hairy legs - mine have been shaved for years. Can you recommend any of the thicker ladies' ballet tights? Again, what make?
    I believe Eurotard makes a legging that's thick enough for them to call it unisex.

I've got both plies and tendus sorted now, so that's OK. Still need to learn positions 3-5.
    Great. Do 5 next. We mostly do 1,2 and 5 in our classes. Sometimes we throw in 4, but mostly as part of combination. I don't think we've ever done 3 in my class.

Randee, there's nothing I'd like more than to walk into class in my cropped cardigan, pink tights and black leotard over the top, but I'm just not brave enough. I'll start "drab" and then introduce tights and whatnot after a few weeks, I think.
    I think this is a good strategy. Assuming you really want to learn, let them get to think of you as a serious student first. If you show up all girly, they might think you are fetishist. I think Randee was lucky to be accepted right away, but if I recall, his girlfriend was already a student in the class, so that probably helped him.

PS Jamie, has ballet helped in terms of a more feminine figure? Or is the difference more in terms of poise and movement? Thank you. x
    Has it made my hips and bust expand? Sorry to say, no! :-) I think the exercise has helped me take off pounds, especially around my midsection, maybe toned by rear a bit, and certainly given more definition to my legs. And this is exercise that does not bulk up my arms. These are all things that are good for my feminine presentation, but I wouldn't call them uniquely feminine.