Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you're a late bloomer what started you?

Smile If you're a late bloomer what started you?

Hi girls,
    I've been going over earlier posts and I've found there are a number of ladies who didn't start dressing until later in life. I started dressing before I started school, I saw the dress in my mums closet and I had to try it on, it felt right and as they say in the classics, the rest is history.
    I find it intriguing why someone would suddenly decide at a later age, be it in their 20's, 30's 40's and so on, to all of a sudden say to themselves I must try that skirt on, why didn't the urge hit them when they were younger? And how did you fight the urge to dress all these years?
    What was the catalyst for you to try on a dress at the later age?
    Adelaide

A bit fetishy beginning..early 20's won a teddy in a lingerie raffle. well, no girlfriend but curious so tried it on. On rare occasion it was just that till last year (now 48) when I was thinking more involved for a Crossplay/costume (japan cafe maid) and had got into underdressing (panty or hose/stocking) while researching it all on internet and then with that outfit feeling so "right"... so more clothes, then forms, then... heh. Downhill from then. May have had more fem leanings when young thinking back but other than 'handling' moms hose (liked the feel) but not wearing and liking lingerie in sears/other catalogs while young that's about it. (did wear mom's rollerskates for a bit while feet matched but that's the only thing of her's I really wore and I don't think that counts for CDing ).
    Kind of wonder if I'd had sisters (was only child) if things would have taken off earlier in life...
    So kind of fetishy start but more serious recognition later. (and yes...still have that teddy..doesn't really fit but it's a neat memento if nothing else )
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Platinum Member
    Wow, a late bloomer starting in her 20s....honey, 20s is practically early childhood compared to some of us. I knew at a very early age, but life circumstances beginning with lots of negative feedback, compelled me to repress, deny and minimize my desires for decades. Even coming out took me a long long time.

What got me past all that? Therapy. The eventual recognition that denial and repression were hurting me and to some extent hurting those I loved. And finally the recognition that I could really be much more than I ever imagined.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 04-24-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one, or one of the few, who never even thought of wearing something of my mom.

I am a super late bloomer, somewhat like a saguaro cactus that doesn't grow its first arm until age 70.

Ineke

Ineke, that is pretty much me too starting from zero in about 2007. What caused it? Prostate cancer and its lovable (NOT!!) side effects from the treatment. One thing led to another, then another, and here I am today happy as a very young but very old TG crossdresser. Oh, and loving every minute of it.

Well she is a late bloomer if she starts dressing in her 20's if I started in my single digits, LOL!

Yes, I dabbled & experimented as a youngster into my mom's clothes, but the need died when I went to college & then married . Fast forward 40 years. Huge stressors overwhelmed me to the extent that something awoke in leading me to cd. This revelation all happened within the past year. While there may have always been the nature undercurrent theme, for me, the genie was released from her bottle due to massive stress . There have been others on this forum with the same time line. Peace, mel

I'm 33 and for the first time a month or 2 ago felt comfortable enough with myself to pursue in making this a real part of who I am. When I was under 18 I had "guilt" or the what would people think hanging over me. After that life moves pretty fast. I guess we all have to go at our own pace. Sure I missed out on 20 years of it and I wish I had spent that 20 years dressing, but better late then never.

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    There were hints along the way growing up. I guess I was too thick or just didn't have the exposure until my early 20's. No sisters to borrow from, and my mom and I weren't close in size at any point, so I didn't have any opportunities until I 'decided' to create my own. More like 'was drawn to create my own.' Once I started, just kept at it and added stuff along the way.

My serious crossdressing didn't start until age 66. Talk about a late bloomer! Oh, there were a couple of short-lived experiments with bra and panties, hose and heels, but for the most part I suppressed any urge to CD in my earlier years, and kept my trans gender nature in a subconscious straight jacket. The truth is that the potential was always there, much like the dome of hot lava rising under Yellowstone. One day I stumbled on some girl's discarded under things, sexy top, and shorts, and it just erupted. I regret it taking so long.

I'm 32.. Does that count?

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I have always loved looking at women and their clothes, tried on my sisters catholic school uniform a couple times as a kid but didn't dabble in cross dressing until much later. In my early 30's I decided I wanted to dress as a girl for Halloween one year, THAT'S what got me hooked. It was the taboo of it that turned me on, after that I started under dressing when I could. The wife at the time, did not care for it much. Many years later here I am 99% out of the closet, I dress girly almost everyday, maybe not a dress but girly in some way. And my new wife loves it. I am 51 now and I wear what I want when I want to.

I have always had an obsession with petticoats and French maids since my teens. I finally decided to buy an outfit one Halloween about twenty years ago. That and the internet, got me started. I did have a couple girlfriends wear them for me at times, but I have the most fun, wearing them myself!!

My interest and desire were with me since childhood. I always knew I was different, and my thinking and thoughts were definitely female orientated. In the 60"s till the invention of the internet, I hid my "real self" and did what was expected of me as a male. Once the internet came around I discovered that I wasn't alone or a freak. So, at 57 I am finally living my life as it was intended to be. I start HRT shortly...and am sooo looking forward to it.

Silver Member
    My wife. She suggested that I buy a pair of heels while shoe shopping with her. She asked if I liked a pair of stiletto heels that she was trying on, I said yes, she asked why, I said I just did, a few more questions and she told me to buy a pair for myself to see how I would feel wearing them. I nervously bought a pair, tried them on, she saw how much I liked them, then gave she me a pair of stockings, boy shorts, bra, lipstick, makeup. I discovered I was Heather.

Aspiring Member
    Yep! A late Bloomer.

First time at age 59.

Was going to a costume party and wanted to do something different.

So I dressed as a woman. The character was Charley's Aunt from the play and film of the same name.

I wore a beautiful late 1800's dress with a full hoopskirt, wig with curls, earrings, bonnet, black lace fan, black string purse and some light makeup.

It was a lot of fun and have been developing female costumes ever since like a midieviel Duchess, a Southern belle, a Grande Aunte, a stately late 1800's elderly lady and Martha Stewart.

Since I am now 71 I have become an expert impersonator of older ladies.

However when dressed as a regular lady I look 15 to 20 years younger.

As you can see, I became a "lady" late in life!

Well, that's my story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Martha G; 04-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.

How about starting in your 60's and still have no idea why.

Aspiring Member
    The same for me.

The dressing as a woman for a costume party must have turned something on within me.

I bloomed in my 30s nearly 40 years ago and have been mostly in denial since then... but underdress now, and dream of being out in the world as Laura. I'd say loneliness and stress were my catalysts, and although loneliness is no longer a problem, stress remains a trigger. In a perfect world I'd like to be Laura without loneliness OR stress. Let's see what happens. Blessings to all of you and to my wonderful wife who isn't thrilled about Laura but is tolerant all the same.

Thanks Ladies,
    I appreciate the replies, they answer a lot of my queries!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Wow, a late bloomer starting in her 20s....honey, 20s is practically early childhood compared to some of us.
    Sorry if it wasn't clear.. (Just realized the comment here in the thread). I acquired that teddy in my 20's.. I tried it on once or twice soon after getting it but then forgot about it. The real rare fetish side back then. (Besides...it really didn't fit so well ) Over the 2 decades after I'd probably only had it on maybe 6-7 times total max. I had a few pseudo flings in the middle with underdressing, if you want to call it that...was enjoying longer sports/bicycle runners and tights from Rennaisance fest outfits similarly to underdressing with hose. But that didn't last either. My logical side got in there.. (Turns summer, and I wanted to wear shorts so stopped the occasional tights).
    But add lifes events as a kid and growing up and such, I'm pretty sure that's why I think that something was there (would have liked to CD maybe) but I really didn't start anything until last year..@48 (hose,outfits,clothes,forms, the works). That was when I considered myself to truly be CDing.
    I know it's not as late as 50's and 60's but it's definitely later than those that experimented real young.
    Last edited by KaceyR; 04-30-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

I was attracted to Women's clothes as early as 3 or 4, but had a REALLY oppressive family life. A lot of things were black and white, right or wrong, and boys were supposed to be boys and girls were girls. I tried dressing a bit when I was in my mid 40s, but there was a ton of shame involved, mostly from family crap. I'm in a really small town now and trying to balance feeling good about being pretty and not letting the neighbors find out because they make my family look tolerant. I know I'm never going to be young and beautiful, but I feel really good about how I look and comfortable in my skin.

Officially I started @ 60, but after a lot of thought and contemplation of earlier memories, I believe that I had an attraction to it at a pretty early age. I was a curious kid with few inhibitions. In the era I grew up in, if this became general knowledge, you may as well have gone into the town square and committed suicide at high noon, you would lose your job or any opportunities for advancement, scholastically or otherwise and likely your mind, so there were strong reasons to suppress any feelings and activities in this direction, particularly when you're looked on as a weird kid to begin with and were dealing with enough social difficulties already.
    If anyone here has read my posts on various subjects, you know I am nothing if not a realist. The only "counselor" I've ever gone to (a psychiatrist, no less!) betrayed me and his Hippocratic oath and I wound up in a mental hospital in an era when electroshock and lobotomies were pretty common procedures.(ever seen "1 Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest"?); the worst of it was that it was at the instigation of my own family. I will neither seek "counseling" nor co-operate with it if forced. I learned long ago that if it can happen once, it can happen again and your best bet is to keep away from those who can harm you and if you can't, then acquire the means to protect yourself. This may sound a bit paranoid, but it is realistic. In any case, this makes "suggested memories" about as likely as hell freezing over.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Evolution of Self Erica William's Avatar
    I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this post.I'm 44 years oldI've been bisexual since the age of 14, and Have dressed on and off for the past 30 years.but not seriously just for fun and just for me. recently found myself divorced and alone. looking in the mirror I was trying to decide whether I was too old pto indulge in this desire again. But after reading this threadI know I canand I want to.thank you all for your comments and stories.

Erica

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar
    Hi Adelaide,

Perhaps... its not about "what started us". But rather, "what took me so long?"
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand