Thread: The Thrill is...going.....?

Banned Read only

Wink The Thrill is...going.....?

As one who has thoroughly analysed this aspect of my personality I have recently found that one aspect of crossdressing, that ironic thrill of the danger of discovery, is gradually ebbing away as society is embracing LGBT realities more and more.
    Verboten seems less and less verboten these days.
    So as the thrill is gone, or going, it is being replaced by an embrace of sorts.
    Recently in a dress store I was treated absolutely on the level, actually welcomed in fact. There were many compliments. Called Maam and dear....Granted, I had just come from some fabulous hair/makeup work in a salon which had me doing double takes all wonderful day. But experiencing this: "you know what really would look good on you?" over and over...well that's a new kind of wonderful.
    But I'd like to know if this observation is common and how you ladies are adjusting to it.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I have also felt the encouraging acceptance but, society still has a long way to go. Certainly better than back in the '70's.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Like buying real estate, it's location, location, location. In many metro areas and surrounding suburbs, there is tolerance up through acceptance and embracing to be found in many stores, public venues, etc. then there are the other, often smaller communities, or the dogmatic religious communities, or the narrow minded bigoted communities where everyone knows everyone else's business -- where we must tread carefully because exposure could lead to public shaming, loss of job, loss of friends, and possibly physical danger.

Borrowing from "YouCanCallMeMeg's recent Blogspot posting, read about the experience of Laura Jane Klug, a transgender pilot who is also a substitute teacher in Lumberton, Texas. Although a partial victory for her, the experience was harrowing and is a good cautionary tale about knowing the type of community you are in. The lies and mis-information heaped on Laura is frightening..

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Ophelia,

It is hard to say if there is truly acceptance "writ large" or more tolerance. I find it really depends on the venue and the person. I have had great interaction with young SAs as well as bad interactions bordering on downright rude. The same goes with older SAs. Male employees well it is hit and miss. I had one male waiter purposely switch tables with a female waiter so he would not have to serve me. In case you are wondering, I heard him say . . ."I don't want to serve the Tranny . . . switch with me". Oh well, to each their own. However, the best service I ever received en femme was from a male employee at the car dealership where I took my car for servicing. He was friendly and used appropriate gender pronouns (her, she, miss). He even held the car door open for me when I got in to drive it out of the bay. He was not being disingenuous but acting with respect and decency based on the gender I was presenting. Needless to say I wrote Hyundai a very nice letter on his behalf.

So while there is acceptance and it is getting a bit more notable, I think we are more in the tolerance stages of acceptance vice full acceptance.

Hugs

Isha

Any thrill went a long time ago, the aprehension is still there but it is easier to deal with it "As time goes by."
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I wonder if the experience with people without a business interest is different. They want to make a sale, even a sales relationship, so they accept and embrace you and you kind.

It's not "thrilling" per se for myself in either mode. I'm just comfortable being myself one way or the other. Sales people will patronize us (or not) as they naturally want to make sales. They don't turn green or purple when they handle our money, although as Isha points out their personality may be a little "tainted". Oh well, can't win 'em all I always say.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Lol...I am going to have to get back to you later...I am going out by day for the first time tomorrow...

Wish me luck.

Platinum Member
    I find no thrill in intolerance. Most of the nervous energy and that sensation of walking without a net draws upon inner fears anyway, not from real risks of exposure and rejection. Those courtesies in the dress or wig shop are perhaps sincere too, but they reflect a merchants desire to serve the customer, rather than general societal acceptance.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt