Thread: Swimming, shaving and panty hose

Casey

Swimming, shaving and panty hose

I had completely forgotten about this until last week when talking with another former swimmer. In HS, the conclusion of our swim season was a series of three meets: the class preliminaries, class finals, and state open. We would shave for either the prelims or finals. It has already been discussed here about athletes shaving, but I had forgotten that between the meets, we would wear panty hose during workouts to increase drag. Surprisingly the joking about boys wearing panty hose was minimal, but I wonder how many others secretly looked forward to this time of year. I had worn panties and some girls things before this, but even now some 30 years later, I can still recall the feeling of putting on the hose over freshly shaven legs was incredible. Most of us would shave our legs every day or every other day for the 2 to 3 weeks that the meets occurred over to minimize stubble and irritation. If I recall, we'd let the arms grow and reshave each meet, but the legs were done more frequently during the span. I have to believe this all heightened my curiosities.

I am thinking that if I could have legitimacy shaved my legs and worn pantyhose in high school I would not have forgotten about it.

I remember the swimmers on the college team having shaving parties before big meets.

I don't remember any of them wearing pantyhose while practicing for the increased drag.

I now if they did I would have tried out for the swim team!

The feel of hosiery on freshly shaved legs is incredible and I wish I could do that year round.

A girl can dream, can't she?

This last year I successfully went the full year shaved. Weeks ago I was thinking about growing my hair again. My wife and I were in the tub talking, she instinctively started to shave my leg, I was like "stop. I'm growing my hair back." She was a little thrown back. We'll that lasted the week, there's no way I'm going back to hair. There's a point when hair just gets too damn gross.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    its 2014.....take it off....take it ALL off....its ok...I promise......nobody cares.....

I agree, I've realized the same. No body cares

I remember runners in my high school during the '70s wearing hose for warmth. No shaving beforehand, though, and I wasn't on the team.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Anyone appreciate the pun... wearing pantyhose to increase drag. Well..... duh! ;-)

JenX, you're a woman after my own heart! Yes, that's my dirty shameful secret. (Well one of them, anyway.) I love puns! Oh.. the shame.

Megan

I didn't think you would need an excuse these days for anything like that.
    You are what you are.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Hi Tex, Men with shaved bodies is slowly becoming the new normal.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

There is a new commercial out for a body "grooming" shaver. The guy keeps looking at himself in the mirror while shaving more and making comments. I'd date me, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L73j9KTt1jE

I just wonder when it becomes obvious that no one really cares, will we finally realize that we do it because it feels nice, and looks better to ourselves and not be accused of trying to stand out. Time will tell.....

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by JenX View Post
    Anyone appreciate the pun... wearing pantyhose to increase drag. Well..... duh! ;-)
    Hilarious! I choked on my coffee.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JenX View Post
    Ha! I once posted elsewhere on this forum that cyclists shave their legs to decrease drag and crossdressers shave their legs to increase it

We wore sweat shirts to practice to increase drag, I don't think any of us shaved. Some would wipe down with baby oil to hopefully decrease drag at meets.
    DonnaT

Evolution of Self Erica William's Avatar
    High School Swim Teem is when I started shaving my legs and have never stopped.

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    We wore sweat shirts to practice to increase drag, I don't think any of us shaved. Some would wipe down with baby oil to hopefully decrease drag at meets.
    We shaved for the end of season state championship meets, and in college for the Conference and NCAAs.

I remember the women's team in college not shaving all season, then shaving for the conference meet and NCAAs. I don't recall the HS girls doing that, but they probably were too self conscience.

I was on the High School swim team and remember the swimmers shaving completely for the State meet. I never qualified for State, so I didn't have the chance to experience shaving then. I experimented with shaving much later in life.