Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE only way "we" are ever going to be taken seriously...

Banned Read only

THE only way "we" are ever going to be taken seriously...

is ___________________? Of course since "we" encompasses such a broad spectrum, it's a tricky question. But let's face it. Many folks do "learn" almost everything they know about certain subjects from TV or movies?

There are ALL kinds of "Reality" shows out there. Must be a half dozen cooking shows alone. Not my thing but obviously very popular. Surely something can be learned about cooking from at least some of them?

What IF a network came out with a Reality show about CDers? What might it look like? Would it need to have them cooking, and/or have comedic elements to not get killed in the Ratings? And just what might they be wearing while cooking pray tell? Would the participants themselves vote each other off weekly based on whatever? If they passed or not? Or something else. Shopping alone in the women's department? Dressed as a guy or a woman? Handling various "surprises" while out dressed?

If one "winner" was declared at season end, what might they win? Would you volunteer for such a show and what might you like if you were to win?

Seriously, one show here or one movie there with a CDer of some type is not liable to make much of a dent is it? Better if folks just go on out dressed... but if most are dressed to "blend", how many folks [other than other CDers] are likely to notice and/or care?

Of course some people DO think ALL "Reality" shows are just awful and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever and maybe you are one of those? Is ANYthing that might get people to listen, think or pay more attention to minorities a bad thing?
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 05-14-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: comma

I absoluely hate realith shows, and even one with cd's each show, i would not watch. Sorry, I like MeTV, and Antenaa tv old shows.

I would guess a portion of the difficulty with such a venture might be in locating willing and enthusiastic
    participants. I mean, many girls would, I think, be leery of attention for a variety of reasons. There was already the Ru Paul Drag Race program, and I seriously doubt that did anything toward promoting the image most of us would want. But I fear the participants on that show are exactly the kind that would apply to any show looking for crossdressers. Not the image I would want at all. Meantime, the girls best suited to promoting a positive and stable image are the very ones least likely to want to out themselves, or so I would think, wouldn't you? Are there enough successful, confidant, stable and fully "out" girls, and with some kind of stage presence and charisma to be found willing and brave enough to place themselves in that position? I don't know.
    I see the publicity of a positive image program as extremely valuable, make no mistake. I just fear finding an appropriate cast would be tough. I also think more programming like Drag Race would only reinforce stereotypes we (I) do not want to see furthered.
    Hmmm. I wonder?

More people do notice than you and many on here think, it is just a matter if they care or if they are to react in any way noticeable, but they do notice. Why do I think this, because people notice so many other things about other people.... what makes anyone on here think they have some major stealth or cloaking ability?.... yes they notice.

As for the intriguing idea of CDers as a reality show, doesn't Ru Paul already have something like this?? Drag race or whatever? If it were to be more mainstream, without some sort of competition and a weekly drama.. and with that here would come all of the stereotypes which RuPaul already covers. it would lose its novelty quite quickly I would think. CDers and partners discussing and dealing with CD issues, most of which are N/A to the general population, so it would not hold a lot of interest except for those of us who are within the realm of that interest. And, that is sort of already covered anyway.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

the only way reality shows survive is if they have something you relate to (ie cooking) or something over the top (ie RuPaul and Duck Dynasty)

If you want to portray TGs in a positive manner you will have to follow them in a normal manner on "everyday" tasks. Such as the DQ who just does shows and benefits and how they live the rest of the time. The CD who is closeted (would add drama if they were married and the wife didn't know but I think she would catch on with the cameras and all), the CD who goes out (and wont mind if their boss finds out) the GQ or Gender fluid person's daily life and the the TS (it would have to be a TS who doesn't mind everyone knowing they changed genders afterward..which a lot of TSs don't want). Now to make this entertaining...would you have the drama of the Queens that RuPaul had (mostly made up for ratings)? Would you have the compassion of the family trying to hold it together? Would you have the documentary of the whole transition?

I can promise you this idea has been pitched before. But you either make it outrageous which won't help (that is 90% of reality) or you make it relatable where people end up feeling good about the cast. Sorry ain't gonna happen with ratings
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    The "Rock" of all people had a "reality" show last summer I think. Titled Hero or "the Hero" or something close. Don't know how well it did in the ratings OR if it will return. Personally, I thought it was a very well done show.

If nothing else, it made people THINK.

SOME people. Seems to me [and I have worked with large groups of people all my life] that most folks, once they pass twentyish, become very rigid minded and unlikely to change their attitudes/ways. Thankfully, not all people are like that.

The only reality television show I would find entertaining is locking a roomful of network executives into a room and watch them come up with an original thought for a program.

Platinum Member
    I am one of those who finds little or no value I so called reality tv. They don't present reality, they pander to and reinforce established prejudices. Shows like "will and grace" are often credited with changing attitudes, but I doubt it. Rather, they reflected evolving attitudes.

Things change when people get out and conduct their lives as normal human beings. Blending doesn't diminish the impact we have when we interact with others. Darn few of us pass, as you know. I am not convinced that we can change by standing out in a manner that also reinforces stereotypes, but rather by undermining those stereotypes and presenting ourselves as worthy of respect.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I.m with Alice on this one, can't stand "reality" shows, because they are anything but reality. And, I'm suspicious that those that watch "reality" shows do not have a firm (or any) grip on reality!! JMO. Bria

Introducing 'Big Sister', the reality game show for cross-dressers! Ten cross-dressing men are confined to a special villa for nine weeks, isolated from the outside world, continuously monitored by in-house television cameras. During their stay, contestants need to stay 'en femme' 24/7 and will have to compete in potato peeling and embroidery contests . At the end of each week, a panel of women decide which contestant was the least 'girly' that week (who burped the most or talked about cars for example), resulting in a eviction for that contestant. The last remaining contestant wins a lifetime supply of stockings, panties and full slips.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    How can a stage and scripted show could construed as reality?
    I don't watch much TV because there isn't much worth watching to be honest.
    Would I be a part of a CD reality show? No. Why? Because reality shows are stupid.
    Me TV is OK because I can see old classic shows that had a point to the story and a moral to teach.
    Person of Interest is a great show I will watch that one if I remember its on that night.If not I buy the whole season on DVD.

One more reason not to watch television! I can't think of too many things that sound more boring. Maybe they could have a show to explore the stereotypes of crossdressers only to discover they're mostly accurate.

Gold Member
    for a TG reality show, could go several directions.

One is - Tg would still remain a small sub-culture and nothing changed.

Two is - they would have the exceptionally pretty ones on the show, thereby making the rest of us feel inferior. The subject would come up and you might hear, "Oh you CD? I was watching the show (whatever it may be called) but with those ones, you could never tell they were men". Kind of like how the media wants women to look younger, lose weight, have hair so healthy it shines...

Three is - it would become a REAL popular topic much like how the gay men come out in the media and become heroes. But then we would end up with a LOT more fake CD/TS who just want to be part of what is popular. Kind of like college co-eds who claim to be gay/lesbian just to get noticed. But then sooner or later they decide they want a "normal" life. Kind of like accepting wives who later decide they have a problem with their TG husband.

Reality shows look pretty boring. Let's see, people doing pretty much nothing and talking about it. And for these shows, people pay over $100 a month for cable, complain there is nothing to watch, and keep paying $100 a month. Makes sense.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Stage it in a secluded inlet in Hawaii, and let me write the script.

"Seriously"

Probably not....
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Oh, there is a reality type show i do watch sometimes, and is it ever reality! CHEATERS!! Many years a ago, CANDID CAMERA wasa real funny real reality show!

Banned Read only
    It would be great to see TV producers made to accept presenters from minority groups. How many disabled people do you see presenting the news or weather forecasts so why not TGs. Many would have the knowledge and ability to present factual programs which would gain us far more credibility than OTT reality shows. Lets face it some of the production team sitting behind their desks are probably underdressed !

Banned Read only
    Ok, so how bout this...

The XYZ network that makes and promotes the show never, ever uses the word REALITY in any promos or literature of any kind.

Now, would you watch it? Or does it have a better chance to survive?

If we associate just one single word with any show about anything, does that automatically make it a "bad" or worthless show?

It seems a well written and produced commercial film release with sympathetic characters and good story line would be far more interesting. Look what Brokeback. Mountain did for the gay community.
    Last edited by samantha rogers; 05-14-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Seriously, we will never be taken seriously--ever!
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    Although I think the idea of a TG reality show is just hilarious, I really think Samantha has it right - I sympathetic film drama or documentary would probably do the community a lot more good.

Maybe they'll do a film version of Harvey Fierstein's play casa susanna. That'd be a good start.

I am not a huge reality show fan, however my competitive nature has kept me watching Survivor since the very first episode. I have applied to the show about 7 times. I don't think anything like that type of show could be possible to do as a CD. I could be interesting to start the show dressed, and see where it goes from there.
    Zylia's "Big Sister" idea would be fun and possible to do.
    Does anyone have Mark Burnett's phone number or e-mail.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

The real question is who will sponsor it? Because once a sponsor comes onboard, a cable channel will see $$$ in the concept. But what company wants their brand associated with TGs? Taco Bell? Chick Fill-a? Certainly not Men's Wearhouse. Think about it.
    Last edited by Dawn cd; 05-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I think something similar to this did actually air a few years ago.....hmmm, what was it? It wasn't about real CDers though. I think some "normal" men had to be made up and dress or something then compete. Does anyone other than me remember that? Maybe take that concept a step further with just "regular ole CDs'?

Paula has the right idea as far as presenting our case and I'd like to see it in a format much like 'Frontline' though that may be a little too serious. Then again, though I don't condone reality shows, maybe we could see something in the vein of 'Housewives of CD's' that would be more of a focus on CD families that wouldn't be as outrageous as those Jersey or Miami girls. JMHO!

All we have to do is look at the models presented by the woman movement, the gay and lesbian movement, and other marginalized groups throughout history. It starts with committed, concerted activism, protest marches, legislative initiatives, legal action, and, most importantly, members of our community willing to come out of the closet with our heads held high. Only then will people in Hollywood and the media begin to portray CD/TG people in a positive light.