Thread: Long nails and Contacts.....OUCH!

Long nails and Contacts.....OUCH!

As I have posted in other places here, I am on my way to becoming the real me. I now have a hairless body, wear light makeup daily, and keep my toenails painted.

I've learned a lesson in beauty as well. As I'm slowly transitioning I've decided to also grow my fingernails out. I've been using Sally Hansen nail strengthened and they are starting to get some obvious length to them. The lesson I've learned is I now have to be more careful when putting in my contacts and taking them out. Yesterday and today I've scratched my eyeballs every time I've dealt with my contacts and I don't mind telling you.....IT HURT!

I guess that's just one of the pains we go through for beauty. I could cut my nails....nope not happening because I love the look of them being longer.

Does anyone who is a contact wearer have any suggestions?
    Last edited by jeri1973; 05-15-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    Jeri

Silver Member
    Having contacts and longer nails - usually keep them 1/4" -3/8" beyond the edge of the pink nail bed, I always keep the nails clean & smooth on the edges so as not to snag the contact (or pantyhose). ALWAYS wash your hands, rinse away all soap, but do keep your fingers moist. Pull down the lower edge of the skin surrounding the eye, gently touch and squeeze the contact lens with the pad of your finger NOT THE NAIL, and remove. It does take some practice, but it works well for me. Enjoy.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yea long nails and eye cream application = not fun

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Like mentioned, the trick is to learn how to pinch the contact with the pads of your finger for removal and to use the flat of your finger to insert them. My nails are longer than most males but are not real long and I have yet to nick my eye inserting my contacts. Just like anything, practice practice practice.
    Erica

Platinum Member
    Hi Jeri, I too have nice nails and I am always scratching my face or something.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I wear eye glasses, problem solved.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I couldn't figure out the problem. Then it dawned on me. You wear SOFT lenses! My lenses are the rigid gas permeable type and fingernails are not a problem. I now see how the nails could be a problem. Good luck!

Setting aside any logistical issues about long nails, it's the appearance that matters to me. Surprisingly, I see a lot of men with 1/8" nails, big hands and all, or even longer I think. Those same big hands on a girl would look out of place, and with 1/8" or longer nails even more out of place, so in that case trimming them off is best.

Just an observation.

Ros
    sorry Jeri, can't help you on this one..

I have fairly long acrylic nails and never have a problem with my soft contacts. Like Erica Marie, I use the side of my finger rather than my fingernails. Drain the storage case for my right eye into my left palm, use the side of my finger to pick up the lens, use the side of the index finger of my left hand to hold down my right lower lashes and insert the lens using the side of my right index finger. Similar moves to insert the left lens and to remove them both, always with the sides of fingers.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).