Thread: A Puzzling Comment

A Puzzling Comment

What a lovely evening! Five of us (4 GG's and I) went to dinner where we chatted and had a good time, and then we went to religious services. We went to a congregation that I've been attending en femme for the past couple of years (before that I did attend as a guy).

Just before services began a woman walked over to me and said, "You don't know me but I just wanted to tell you how lovely your dress is! I know that you usually wear more tailored business-type outfits, but you really look wonderful in a dress!"

Now I never wear anything that I feel is like what she was describing, I nearly always wear either a dress or a flowing skirt to services.

There are a couple of possibilities. One is that she mistook me for my "sister-in-law" (actually my spouse) who often sits near me. But when my "sister-in-law" arrived and I suggestef that she said no, that she meant me.

Another is that there is a woman that I certainly don't feel that I look like but that is about my height and somewhat of my build who does indeed nearly always attend in very tailored pants outfits and maybe she confused the two of us.

And another is that she dimly remembers me from years ago but rather than remembering a guy she images that person as a woman in more severe business-style attire.

It was very nice to be told that I looked lovely, but what she said was very confusing too!

Any thoughts?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Hell-o Persephone, Regardless of what this lady was thinking, mistaken identity, or the male you reflecting in her memory, accept the situation for what it was, she gave you a compliment.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

My only thought is that for whatever reason that she chose to make that personal comment to you that you should just think and say to her and yourself, "Thank you for such wonderful thoughts." No more and no less. It is your opportunity to bask in the special moment that you and she created.

Maybe you have a doppelganger Barb.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gone to live my life
    Hi Barb,

I find people's memory are funny. They will fixate on a fact and just stay with it. Regardless thought . . . the compliment was genuine and you met a new and nice person.

Hugs

Isha

Dear Persephone,

You're anguishing too much over this.

Take the compliment at face value and enjoy it.

Love,
    Linda W.

Platinum Member
    I'm easily confused, so I know where she's coming from!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Just enjoy the compliment in the spirit it was given.
    Hugs, Carole

I had an interesting comment also. Going through the fast food drive-up the attendant looked at me and said "I know you, don't you go to my church"? I didn't recognize her or go to her church but I answered yes to her question, smiled, waved and drove off. Anita

People say weird things to me all the time. As long as they're complementary, I just smile and say thanks.

Barbara,
    It may be a puzzlement, just accept it and stop wondering.

Yes I know, I would be curious too.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    and then we went to religious services. We went to a congregation that I've been attending en femme for the past couple of years (before that I did attend as a guy).
    Persephone.
    Picking up on a code word here.. 'congregation'. I'm betting that means you are Protestant.

A lot of UCC and UU churches are 'open and accepting'. of us folks. I'd take the compliment for what it was, and not try and read other stuff into it.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Don't think on it too much Barbara... like Isha said: people have very poor recall of anything but obvious things...

In addition to their recall being poor, their eyesight is sometimes poor (but that shouldn't detract from you luxuriating in the richness of the compliment... ) - and sometimes people just experience inner-brain flatulence and do weird things....

Look around here...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Platinum Member
    Hi Barbara, I would take a complement any way I could get one.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Hey hon. It could also be that the lady remembered you from before and was simply showing her approval.
    Either way, as has already been stated by the other ladies here; Accept the compliment for what it was and don't trip on it
    Barbie

WOW! You are so fortunate! I i wore a dress or fam oufit to the church i have been with, A several men would take me to the side, and tell me to leave, and not come back, until i put all dress up behind me.