Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we narcissists?

Are we narcissists?

I suspect that many of us are. Anybody care to try the test at http://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/narcissisticquiz.cgi and report their results. I scored 12.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

ha, same here.

Ha Ha! I scored 12 too... Frankly I think I should probably score more (that's a bad thing...) but it's only a short test...

However - I have said before I think there is a touch of narcissism about what some of us do... photos and a lot of references to mirrors seem to confirm that for me. That said, I don't think it's something we should be beating ourselves up for - there are far worse traits out there than the propensity for a bit of a preening and self-admiration - and plenty of folk who'll queue up to metaphorically beat us up for a lot of other things we do...

Anyway - we couldn't look our best if we didn't spend so much time being self-analytical... could we?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Gone to live my life
    Hi Amanda,

Narcissists . . . whoa boy . . . I work with a whole slew of them. BTW score 15 on the test so perhaps my leanings are a bit in that direction.

However the interesting take on this would be is the person a narcissist "en boy", "en femme" or both. I suspect both so .... the narcissistic CDer would have to be someone who when dressed sees herself as superior to other CDers even though she suffers from a huge lack of self esteem. Interesting question nonetheless though.

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    Amanda, I'm telling the whole truth 12. ! I think if they were on a sliding scale my score would have been higher ! I am still surprised being self employed for thirty years as a photographer, taking control of a situation you have to have some tricks up your sleeve and believe in what you're doing !

I don't bother with such tests even out of curiosity. I know who I am and don't particularly care about seeing what someone else thinks I am.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I know I'm a narcissist. Don't need to take the test!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Yeah, I think I may be one too, at least enfemm.

I scored a five. Didn't think the test would go that low.

Aspiring Member
    No, no way. I scored an 8. I am an introvert with a low self-esteem.
    I understand that you have to score over 18 to be a narcissist.

Being a narcissist is more than our vanity It includes how you view yourself as a leader, your social confidence, being a show-off, and exploiting others.

Banned Read only
    7 here. I scored on authority and manipulativeness.
    I think the score on manipulativeness is too low and should be higher, btw.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 05-19-2014 at 08:44 AM.

My 2 cents: A true narcissist cares too much about what people think about them, and wouldn't want to be seen as (or admit to being) manipulative, attention seeking, etc. Hence they would probably score low on that test, either on purpose or more likely due to sub-conscious affecting the answers they pick. Also, true narcissists don't even realize they are one, so again wouldn't pick things like "I am a born leader", even though at some deeper unconscious level they may think they are.

11...lol...zeros on self sufficiency and entitlement...II really am a mess...tee hee.
    The trouble with tests like these is that if you have even a little smarts it is too easy to read through what they are asking, and manipulte the results. Fun though...:-)

Absolutely! Why would someone think otherwise?
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Surviving an extremely loveless toxic denial family, yes i am one, a suvivor, too.

oh dear, i scored a 21??!

13 for me, right in the middle.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I scored a 15. I think questions like these are odd though. If you know you are taking a test for something, aren't you going to read into the questions and on some level pick your answers accordingly?

Narcissistic?

I can't even spell the word.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I scored a 16, hmmmm! I do think that we tend to be a bit narcistic as we are trying to look like our vision of a GG.

Hugs, Bria

29. I LOVE ME!. A lot of what they ask is more self confidence. I am in a profession where just being good isn't good enough. That holding back and being tentative can result in loss of life. I don't see that as narcissistic. I am a narcissist though, I have to be otherwise I might as well just stay home and wilt. Life is for living and you have to make it what you want.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Answered as a 54 year old female. 8 was my score. Final analysis was all traits scored as 1 except Exhibitionism was a 2.

I am a show off and I like attention at times but I vary between outgoing and introvert, so I think it was pretty accurate.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I scored a 9, High marks for self sufficiency, and vanity.
    Guess I need to get some more tools, and mirrors. I have had my eye on
    a new belt sander for a while now, oh, and a full length mirror would be wonderful!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

I am so average I scored a 12. I read an article a while ago in "Psychology Today" about narcissistic behavior and realized I wasn't one then, but had thought I might be. So actually all I really know is that I'm confused. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I don't need a test to tell me I'm a narcissist... I can also tell ya why to... My ugly side has/had absolutely NO self esteem, and I was bullied all though school.
    But, when I would come out for events like Halloween, things changed.People responded to me differently. I got compliments, people wanted to interact with me. Then when I finally got the courage to "come out", more of the same. I feel like I go from zero to hero, just by being my real self.
    I don't know, maybe people respond better to Wynonna over "ugly" because I feel more confident, and comfortable with who I am.