Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you first told someone?

I never ever told my (ex) wife. Divorced about 16 years ago. Raised kids as a single parent. But once I retired a couple of years ago. I waited till my son flew the nest. Told my mum and daughter back earlier this year age 57yrs 11months. They are still the only ones who know.
    Be truthful to yourself.

Came out to my Mother around 16...but only because I accidentally ruined a pair of her shoes (long story). Other than her, I have only told two of my female cousins. One at age 17, and the other at age 27.

I told licensed health care professionals as they gained my trust on this over the last fifteen years or so. In the case of those dealing with mental health, it is relevant to my issues. I don't have any issues any more about the crossdressing.
    Last edited by giuseppina; 05-30-2014 at 08:56 PM.

The first person I told was my girlfriend at around age fourteen or fifteen (should have held on to that girl!), and she was great. I told a couple of friends, as well, and lost one on the spot. Haven't really told anyone since.

My mother discovered it when I was 13. As for the rest of the world, I didn't tell them, I showed it to them at a Rainbow Gathering when I was 41.

Hi,

No matter what was said about your self if you were different you would have been cartered off to the funny farm or nuthouse . so no you keeped your trap shut tight. 1950's,

I told Jos what i was / am about 21 years ago. and no to have spoken about being different even then met with indifference, though over the years a few people knew more about myself than i knew, at some point in my life it was going to be shown one way or the other,

Plus i knew my life would be different just how much well thats unfolded, over the last 20 odd years, and of cause im well documented so every one has been told and knows about us .

so after all said and done im too well known now,

...noeleena...

I told my wife in when we been together one and a half to 2 yrs before we got married. I was extremely nervous and she could tell I was thinking of something. Afterwards, she said she was worried that we were going to break up. Still she isn't comfortable with my dressing and I told her I wasn't going to push the matter hoping that she would become more comfortable with time but that has yet to happen. I am glad I told her and that I don't have any other secrets from her. She says that she understands but doesn't really give any support and sometimes it makes me feel negative about wanting to dress. She is the only person I have told and even though our marriage is great and we love each other, I wish that she was a little more comfortable with things. Sorry forgot my age, we were both 22 at the time.

The first person I EVER told about me was my best genetic female friend, three years ago, when I was 36. Knowing she was open minded to begin with and had other cross-dressers for friends, I knew I could trust her, be accepted and she was my first choice. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders for sure. Went shopping with her soon after. I was like a kid in a candy store !

I was 39 and told my soon-to-be-ex-wife (8 years ago). She was having an affair with a coworker and I thought getting it out in the open would help us save the marriage. Boy was I wrong! I've told a Catholic priest in the confessional, but as far as anyone else, no one.

Charlotte Allison Morris NavyM2F_WAM's Avatar
    It was only a couple months ago. I am 36. I told a girl that I thought was going to become my new girlfriend, but she didn't accept it.
    Charlotte

24...and really didn't let the feminine out of me till recently. First told my partner, and really ended up walking around in front of the roommates one day before going out clubbin.
    Smi mens jernet er varmt.
    "Don't laugh just cause my bra's stuffed with socks!"
    ♫ "I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-CHERRY BOMB!" ♫

My ex- knew and tolerated it but later said she did not like "sleeping with a woman". Later she changed her mind and said she would accept anything. She probably would have too. But it was too late.
    Told my current wife well before we were married. She raised no objections but after we were married she did object. I don't think she really knew what it was and did not bother to find out.
    Anyway I have been completely in the open with my cross dressing for years except with my children, who have long left the nest. I do not want to hide it but as after a long time of living a double life; male in career and part time cross dresser, the barrier becomes very large.

Given my experience I have been a long time advocate of confronting ones cross dressing and sexuality at a young age and if at all possible, seeking good professional counseling. I cannot conceive of the stress of trying to keep it secret from one's wife or partner for decades. I would have gone mad if I had tried to do that. I am awed that there are so many who are able to do so.

I must have been 22 or 23, had to toss a few back at a bar to work up the courage. It must have gone well because five years later I married the person.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

My wife discovered when I was 31, but, like the Norse discovery of America, the discovery was lost to history.

She really discovered when I was 54, after almost 30 years of marriage, and a few more of dating and courtship.

She's the only one who knows, well except for my therapists, some doctors, my tailor, my nail tech, some MAs at MAC and Ulta, my local CD friends, and all of you.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I told my wife when I was 23. She accepted me totally (I'm really lucky, I totally love that woman!). I'm going to be 60 this fall and I finally have started coming out to the rest of the world in the past year. I don't know what took me so long, probably fear of what 'others' would think. I should have come out years ago because it really feels good to reveal the other half of me to the world!
    Last edited by Kati F; 07-31-2014 at 10:17 PM.

How about two ages. Early twenties, went poorly. Mid thirties went well. Age brings wisdom not just from you but friends as well.....

I was 38 Before I told anyone.
    One day your life is going to pass before your eye's, Make sure it is worth watching.

Eddie Izzard said it best "I am an action tranvestite".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethanyannstratford/

I'm 43 and just recently told my wife. Never even considered telling anyone before.

41 and I still haven't told anyone.

Let's see, the first person I ever told was my ex wife. That didn't go well, a few years later we divorced, and she really, really hated me. Next was our therapist. After the divorce, I dated a co-worker, who after a few dates reluctantly admitted that she was gay and just needed a friend to go out socially with while she waited for her girlfriend to get a visa to come and live here. It made me laugh, she got annoyed, until I told her that she wasn't the only one with a secret. When I told her, she got to laugh. We went out together for the next six months, until her girlfriend arrived. Since then, only people online.
    I didn't include my coming out to family; none of that went well, I stopped telling anyone, I no longer know who told who else, but I do know that contact from family has stopped almost entirely.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I was 25, 10 years into dressing when I told my then GF because I was thinking of proposing. I had to tell whoever I married because I did not want to hide for the rest of my life. She married me anyways!

First one that caught me was my dad, lied my way out of that one. At nine, we where just playing, I was told not to "play" like that again, or else!
    At 22 I told my first wife, that is part of the reason she was my first wife.
    At around 35 I told my second wife, she accepted Tina with open arms, and I've been dressing at home every since.
    Oh, I did have to explain what a Transvestite was to my big brother, when the first wife tried to use it against me during the divorce, that was a fun ride home, after the hearing.
    Those are the only ones that I have ever told, and will most likely be the only ones I ever do tell.
    My wife of 44 years is fine with my dressing, and I don't feel the need too share it with anyone else.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Around age 21 to my then wife who I later devoiced.

I was five when I told my best friend that I wanted to be a girl and wear girl clothes. That didn't go well....was no longer my friend and tormented me the rest of grade school.

I never told anyone again until my therapist in Nov 2010 at 54 years old. My wife was next....that didn't go well either. Now we're coparents and friends but not husband and wife. She says that eventually we'll divorce.

Since I've told her three years ago, I've come out TS to all three of my kids (37, 19, 13), three of five sisters and both my brothers. All my coworkers, soccer teammates and a number of important people.

my story is much like others. discovered by my first wife around 25-26, after she walked in on me. did not actually tell her (in a letter) until around age 35. found myself divorced by 38. She tried using it against me both when we were in court and by telling my son. (both instances backfired on her).
    determined i was not getting remarried ever, then met my now wife. told her up front, she shared some things with me, and we have been in a dadt now for almost 20 years. she gives me space and time, but has indicated she does not want to participate or ask questions.