Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How old were you when you first told someone?

I told my first person when I was 19 years old. It was my gay friend. I told him about some of the dreams and ideas I had. After I had told him and felt some relief. I told my bff/gf at the time and she actually went and bought me panties. I couldn't believe it. But she also was the type of girl that was so madly in love with me that she didn't want to lose me. I have since told each of my gf's and the toughest one was when I told my wife. We were dating and she didn't know what to think. Of course she asked if I was gay. And I'm not. She was slightly accepting because she had always wondered what it would be like to be a guy, so she understood. She's liked seeing more in more things recently. It's made us closer and given us things to talk about. She's seen how happy I am and becomes more accepting.

I was 46, 7 years ago when I told my now fiancee. She asked all the normal questions, was I gay, did I want gender reassignment surgery, etc.... I am very comfortable as a male, I just like dressing as a woman. At this point, I don't think there is a thing that I could not tell her.

17 years old about 6 years ago when I got my first outfit and wig.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

I was 26 in 1979. My new girlfriend told me she was bisexual within a couple of weeks of going out with her. Since she was so open with me, I told her that I like wearing panties etc. I also told my sister shortly after that. This doesn't mean that I was out of the closet, but every serious gf I had since was told early in the relationship. My bi gf was the only one that seemed to like the idea.

My wife is the only person who knows that I underdress. I was around 73 when I carelessly left a single nylon stocking in the bathroom. So I came out and told her that I liked wearing women's underwear. Shortly thereafter I was able to wear bras, panties (and tights in winter), with her knowledge if not enthusiastic approval. I had been in the closet for years.

I have natural breasts due to BP medication and a strong genetic tendency and now fill a B cup in most makes of bras.

Jessie White
    I was either 19 or 20, I went to the Samaritans charity to speak to someone there about it, to try and get it straight in my mind (of course, I am still confused but telling someone lifted a great weight from my chest)

I sat down opposite this kind and calm woman, and began skirting around the problem, just saying how it made me feel before eventually dropping the 'I like to wear women's clothing' bomb.
    She looked at me, still smiling calmly and said, "that wasn't too hard was it?"
    And I replied, "no, I guess the world didn't end after all"
    Last edited by miss_jessie; 08-03-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: grammar

May last year I finally told my wife of 30years
    Was 48 at the time we are both head over HEELS in love with each other!
    Its soooooo wonderful

Kiwi

This February, at age forty and much happier now that i am able to buy things and not start thinking like a drug smuggler where i am going to hide them.

I told my ex gf 2 years ago at 24 when we first started dating. Since then I've told quite a few people. I't has helped me open up so much the more I tell.
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

I told my now wife almost 2 years ago after we had been dating about 2 months so that was when I was 33 she is still the only person that knows :-)

29. I told my GF shortly after she discovered a wealth of photos on my phone. It was only about a week ago...

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    My children were told when they were grown.
    Now that could be a topic all in itself.

I only just told my then-girlfriend now-fiance about 6 months ago (29).

Junior Member raven_crossdresser's Avatar
    I was 25 when I told my wife.

I was 17. Told my older sister. I was 31 when I told my mother (well, SHOWED her when she came over to the apartment by my opening the door and TA-DAAAA! But I knew she would be cool with it). I've told a colleague or two back in the day. Our "ladies' night out" was always planned but never happened. Ex-wife knew after we married and she wasn't too keen on it. Told current wife about it when we were dating. She didn't mind (why she's good with it is a long story). Since she works for MAC cosmetics she helps with the make-up. I keep getting the urge to tell more people (i.e., neighbors), especially because I've noticed more female clothing has gotten into my daily rotation.

wow great thread ,
    I am envious of thos who have been successful in this journey,as for me I am still in the closet with a sign on the door be careful of what you ask for, as my family would totally disown me ,still underdressing and now starting to dress has been a stress reliever ,very strange as I am so relaxed and even more so I am very personable as compared to my drab gruff countenance good luck to all of you who finally get up the courage to come out phylis anne

I was 27 when I came out to a couple of friends. I have a few more to go!

I was 26 when I told my wife. I still haven't told anyone else at age 31. I think I am going to tell one of my friends soon though.

I was 12 and told a good friend of mine.There aren't that many I have told... but if I could go back in time there are a few of the ones I did tell I wouldn't tell again. My wife knows and I have gotten very used to my closet and even like it there most of the time
    Last edited by Tammy Lynn Tx; 09-15-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_jessie View Post
    I was either 19 or 20, I went to the Samaritans charity to speak to someone there about it, to try and get it straight in my mind (of course, I am still confused but telling someone lifted a great weight from my chest)

I sat down opposite this kind and calm woman, and began skirting around the problem, just saying how it made me feel before eventually dropping the 'I like to wear women's clothing' bomb.
    She looked at me, still smiling calmly and said, "that wasn't too hard was it?"
    And I replied, "no, I guess the world didn't end after all"
    Miss Jessie, that is a wonderful story and a great response.

I do appreciate everyone else who is posting on the thread. I'll have to do some more reading but it really does look like there are more positive responses than negative ones. Wives seem to be the ones who seem to be reluctant and threatened by this news, and it makes perfect sense particularly in the context of a long marriage prior to the disclosure.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I was 23 and I told my first wife and she loved it. We just had other problems which led to our separating. LOL

I told a close female friend when I was about 21 or so. I didn't tell anyone again for about 5 years after that, a woman I was in an "It's Complicated" sort of relationship with and I'm still only out to a few people now, pretty much my wife, her sister and her best friend, I've lost touch with the first few people I told. I've still not told anyone I'm directly related to or any men.

67, good at hiding it. 'Nuf said.

18-19yo then before every dating

I was 48, and had escaped a bad marriage of 18 years and had taken up with a charming woman who had also recently escaped a bad long-term relationship. But my CDing was never all-consuming, so I simply told her that I'd hit some thrift stores, and umm, had bought some women's things. She demanded a fashion show:-) But she also had shared custody of her two teenage boys, so I pretty much just kept it to nightgowns.

We broke up a few years later for other reasons, and that's when I started taking it a little more seriously, and by the summer of 2009, after lurking here for several months and learning that I wasn't some kind of total freak(THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!), I decided to just let 'er rip and made several public appearances at functions; my church, a monthly house-party, all with people who'd known me for a few years. The response was overwhelmingly supportive.

I then met the woman I eventually married and told her on our first date, but she lived 300 miles away, so I had to move out of town before the news of my coming out had spread everywhere...But all in all, it was nothing short of positive. I haven't quite gotten around to telling my brother and sister yet, but one lives in Florida and the other in Michigan, so I've only seen them in person three times in the last five years and it's just not a conversation I want to have over the phone.

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

I told a really good friend of mine when I was 37 yrs old....back in 2012. I even showed up at her place 150+ miles away one night dressed as Suzanne. She was fine with it, told me that I looked great, had the mannerisms down and did a good job of presenting, even took me to a couple thrift shops a few weekends later. I love that girl, always will.

Suzanne