Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What transgender character(s) in film first caught your eye, inspiring you?

Well I had seen movies and TV shows with a transgendered character before I found my inspiration. This is one of my all time favorite movies, a sweet romantic comedy.

My inspiration is Judy Squires (played by Peter Outerbridge) from the movie Better Than Chocolate. The movies is actually about a young lesbian couple who meet and fall in love to face the stresses of mother and brother finding out that their family member is gay. Judy is also represented in a very positive way and is a great influence in the film. She acts as a mother figure for the young lesbians, goes through the trouble of trying to fit in to society as a woman and a lesbian, and the always sad rejection from her parents because she is transgendered. If you get the chance, check out the movie, it is funny, sweet, sad, and I'm sure all of us can relate whether we are gay, bi, transgendered, or a hetero crossdresser! It is a very tasteful movie but it does have adult language and images.

I have so many favorite scenes but here is one Judy's shining moment -- This is actually Peter Outerbridge singing in this clip! NSFW due to adult language!

http://www.annewheeler.com/films/bet...chocolate.html

Link to Anne Wheeler's (the director) site with a little more info on the movie.

I love this thread! I definitely need to check out some of the other persons and films mentioned!

--Charlene

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    I love this thread! I definitely need to check out some of the other persons and films mentioned!
    Yes, good thread! Your recommendation is new to me. Must check it out!

There was an extensive online resource called (I think) "Hazel Freeman's Transgender Film Guide" but it seems to have vanished.

In looking for it just now, I came across a promising alternative: http://www.tgmovieguide.org/ .

Already mentioned, but Christopher Morley in Freebie and the Bean. Seeing him look so convincing in that movie definitely inspired me.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.