Thread: Credit Card Compromise

Credit Card Compromise

Recently I have started going out en femme regularly, and I use my credit card regularly. In fact, I started using my credit card en femme on April 26 - prior to that I only used credit card in male mode and cash in female mode. Recently, I tried using my credit card and the card was declined, on the night of May 28. I called up my bank, and they told me it was reported compromised on May 6 and they are issuing me a new one. They said it was reported on May 6, but the actual date of the compromise may have been within the last 6 months and possibly part of the mass Target security breach. However, since this happens so close to me using it will out en femme, it makes me wonder if any SA clocked me and got suspicious about me being dressed as a girl using a credit card with a male name on it, and they decided to report it as being stolen. They also told me that the card would be still useable until the 28th.

For all MTF CD, TG, or TS, has anyone ever had an experience with using a credit card with your legal name name, but while dressed as a girl, and someone reported your card as stolen to the bank because of seeing a woman, regardless of how well you pass or not, using a credit card with a male name on it.

I have never been asked for ID so far. I know it's probably part of some mass security breach, but it still leaves me so paranoid since this happened so close to me starting to use my credit card while going out en femme.

Thank you,

Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle789; 05-31-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I use my card with my male name and drivers license with my male name and male picture all the time with no issues so far. It used to be and I think it still is with most credit card companies allowable and almost encouraged that a member get two cards, like one for you and the other for the wife and maybe another one or two for the kids. Sometimes you can keep your name on all of them, or use different names with all being charged back to the main account number. I have had my card changed 2-3 times in the last 2 years by fraudulent charges, normally identified in another state where it would be almost impossible for me to be in both places at the same time. So, my guess would be fraud and not how you were dressed. Though one never knows anymore!

Gold Member
    I vote for actual fraud. If a SA is suspicious about the validity of a card, they should check it out before giving it back. Trying to report something after the fact seems like too much effort. Also, and I don't know the answer to this, but wouldn't they not have access to your account number once the charge is made? That would seem to be weak security if they could pull up you number after you walk away.

I second the vote for actual fraud or a huge mistake. If an SA would have been suspicious about your card, they would have made the case right then and there and not allowed you to complete the transaction. I have watched this actually happen. It has been my experience that as long as I have my male ID that matches my male credit card and I explain the situation clearly if there is a question that there is never a problem - though there is sometimes a giggle or an odd look - no harm, no foul.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

I use the pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on them.

All coloured green and they feature instant negotiation.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Why not change the credit card so the name disappears? Instead of the card showing you as John Doe just have J Doe on it...
    Ambigendrous
    Wealth should not be measured by how much you have, but by how little you need - anon

I do not think it was An SA at all
    Like target I had my account empty by people 1/2 way around the world
    The funny thing was I drove 35 miles to the store tried to pay cash they only took credit card they had kept my number on there server and there server was hacked Thankfully the bank was able to give my money back just had to wait a few days
    well at least the battery charger I got was top of the line

Michelle - I think it's highly unlikely it will be related to your apparent gender... and remember you are doing nothing wrong or illegal: you are the rightful user of your card, however you may be presenting.

And are you all still signing paper slips over there, west of the pond? I can't believe you're still not using PIN to authorise credit cards in the US... In the UK and Western Europe, SAs no longer even get to touch our cards, let alone check the name... I have used my wife's card, and sent my son out with my credit card (on a short leash, though.. ) with no problems...

I'm sure you'll be safe to use any new card again - but do consider having a neutral name on the card, so no title and just an initial - that way there can be no arguments...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

They should have told you what the activity was the caused the issue. My card calls me and leaves a message if the computers flag any suspect activity and also temporarily suspend the card. If I haven't been home to get the message, I know the call in if my card gets the declined. They then ask about the suspicious activity and if I confirm that it was my legitimate transaction, the card gets unlocked.

Additionally, I would log in to the online access for the card and review all transactions or go over the last and next bill. If any are not yours, contact them to get remove.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Michelle,

I tend to agree with the others. If there was doubt about your identity, it is unlikely you would have been able to use the card to complete the transaction without showing proper ID. It is more likely and internal breach that prompted the hold and reissue of a new card. I would not worry about it. I have used my credit card countless times "en femme" with no issues.

Hugs

Isha

Over the past three years, two of the major banks that issue my cards have notified me that something was up and that they were issuing me new cards with new numbers more than once. I don't know what was going on; one of the cards hadn't been used for close to a year, but amazon was one that had it on file, so perhaps there was something going on at amazon that they decided to cancel everything and issue new. I also go online every month to check on every transaction; twice, I found tiny transactions that I never made, and had to notify the bank to notify me whenever anything unusual comes through. That's how lots of these things get started; someone gets your card info, and makes a very small bogus charge with some official sounding vendor name to see if you notice it. Then later they go for more. Over time they can steal millions by doing this to lots of people.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

If you use a PIN with your credit or debit card, you'll never have to show anyone your card or id.
    Last edited by tina99; 06-02-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Tina, I don't have a PIN for my credit card. I do have one for my debit card, but I never use that one for retail transactions for the reason pointed out by Falcongts, that crooks can get hold of it and drain my bank account. At least with a credit card the money at risk is the card provider's. Even with a PIN, many retailers here routinely look at drivers' licenses.

The US credit card system is screwed up because, rather than going to the expense of providing secure cards to its customers, the industry would rather just absorb the fraud losses. None of the card providers wants to be the first one to take the step because they would lose market share as merchants wouldn't want to pay for the technology to process their new cards. By doing so, they make everyone in the US a prime target for international fraud.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    I am a merchant, I doubt the SA took the time to physically match the name on the card to your appearance. That leaves another massive bank security breach as the cause. For transactions I use either cash or a credit card but never a debit card.

Rule 1. NEVER use a debit card to pay for any purchase, just use it to withdraw money at your banks ATM machine.
    Rule 2. USE only 1 credit card(same one) for any and all online purchases. Use another card for any store purchases.
    If you follow these 2 rules, you will be keeping any identity thefts to a bare minimum.
    Also for other advise, use a separate credit card for cash advances only. I don't know if they changed the credit card rules on paying on a card that you used for both cash advances and purchases. One credit card I had , they paid the lowest interest rate, which means the higher interest rate cash advance is not reduced.
    Last edited by janetcgtv; 06-11-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe says "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it".
    and I wish I was born a woman

Charlotte Allison Morris NavyM2F_WAM's Avatar
    My bank card has to be used as a credit card.

I have been using my bank card for almost every crossdressing purchase and have never had a problem. Even when they ask for my ID (to compare the name on the cards or for my military discount), no one gives me a second thought.
    Charlotte

I wouldn't fret it.
    A card used with a compromised vendor must be reissued.
    The great part is they cannot reveal the source of the breach.

Privacy ya know.

Banned Read only
    It took awhile for my bank to cancel my credit card number and issue a new one due to the Target breach. Whenever I checked my credit card account on line there was a advisory about the Target mess. I think my bank was slowly canceling and issuing new cards due to the vast quantity of plastic (tens of millions) that needed to be replaced. The bank gave fair warning the old card would be usable until a certain date. A SA is there to protect the store and also to make sure you spent money. If the SA had any cause to question your identity, I'm sure she would have asked for a driver's license. As some have stated, I NEVER use a debit card. I don't even have one. The credit card offers more protection than a debit card, and, you don't have to worry about over drafts.

Platinum Member
    Hi Michelle, Did you ever get this mess straitened out ??
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The worse thing about credit card fraud is when the thief also gets arrested for a crime ,using your name. A cd friend of mine a long time ago would be constantly arrested, when she would drive her car. It took a long time for it to stop.
    Marilyn Monroe says "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it".
    and I wish I was born a woman

I like most use my credit card in my male name and just show my ID. I have never had an issue with any merchant, after all they do want my money, don't they?