Thread: Places with Family Restrooms

Places with Family Restrooms

Hi All,

I thought it would be nice if a list places with "family restrooms" existed and after a quick google search I found a site that is building a database of them.

If we can all start populating this list it will help those of us who are not comfortable with either restroom when we are dressed. It can be our public service to help populate the database for others who also prefer to use the family restrooms.

The link to the website is:

http://www.findfamilyrestroom.com/index.html

Nicole

there is one I've used and added to http://www.refugerestrooms.org/ They have actually taken over a site called safe to pee.
    LET NO ONE BURN; LET NO ONE GO TO THE LIONS

That is a good site. I like it more than the one I posted - it already has quite a few listings.

Good to have the info, but, what in an "emergency"? If you are usually in the same area,when out---scout possible locations, and keep them in the back of your mind. Gas stations are usually "one at a time" restrooms, and that works, M or F. Never had a problem going in with the Ladies,though. They don't seem to mind at all.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

A nice "heads up".

Thanks Nicole.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

While such sites are nice, there are too few "family" restrooms to make them a viable alternative. The family restroom I know about is situated between the male and female restrooms in clear view of a service desk. I think that I would be far more noticed using the family restroom than I would be in just using the one that matches my presentation.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Hi Nicole, Thanks for the info.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Vikki - A lot of the Gurls on here seem to go out when they are away from their "home" area so if we have a list it would be helpful in the less familiar locations. Yes emergencies will happen and can be dealt with as needed.

Eryn - I agree that there are too few family restrooms, but I think they are becoming more prevalent. In the case of the the restrooms being across from the service desk (like at a lot of Kohls) I personally would feel more comfortable using the family restroom as compared to the women's restroom - there is less likely to be an issue if the employees at the service desk are paying any attention.

For those who don't like the idea don't use the list. For the rest of us let's help each other.

Nicole

^.^

I have this issue at work, and I use the family bathroom in the basement level.

When I came back to work for this employer however, I came in cross-dressed,
    and the supervisor made it clear that I was expected to use the male bathroom.

My main reaction was that I could not believe that an adult was raising the topic.
    And I let him know that there was a boundary there. Now, not wanting to cause
    either gender any discomfort, I like using the family bathroom.

Amy M. Jackson

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I was in Santa Monica and while I always use the female's restroom while I am dressed as a female, my wife was with me and she fairly recently had broken her leg. Well the family restroom was much closer than the females and we tried to use it. I tried to open the door and it did not open. Then I noticed a little buzzer by the door and we pressed it. A man came on the speaker and asked what we ladies wanted. We said we want to use the family restroom. He said "The ladies room is down the hall and since you do not have any children with you, that is the restroom you should use." And he hung up the phone.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Family restrooms have 2 problems (1) too few; and (2) families with children want to use them. For those concerned disabled toilets are usually unisex.

I've had absolutely no problem using the ladies here in Australia. Even had someone say "Hello Michelle" which was kind of weird and hard to answer with my male voice.

Once again all I am suggesting is that for those who care to help populate the database.

We all know there are too few and families use them.

We also know that women sometimes bring their kids into the women's restroom. People would be more likely to freak out with a CD in the women's bathroom than in the family bathroom.

Here is an interesting article relating to the general topic...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...?utm_hp_ref=tw

More info available from the Refuge Restroom facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/refugerestrooms

Careful I bite <3
    Still filling them out could help Gurls when they are in different parts of the world.

I would also add two things.

If you are using a family restroom do not waste anymore time using it than you need too.

Also remember these are normally used by disabled people and you can not always see someones disability
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Reality Check
    "Family" restrooms are not intended for crossdressers, they are intended for families, specifically a father with a young daughter or mother with a young son. They should be our last choice and we should be in and out as quickly as possible.

What's really needed is single user restrooms with no gender designation. I have seen a few of these but mostly in smaller restaurants.

The website in the original post needs a lot of work before it's going to be of much use.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    "Family" restrooms are not intended for crossdressers, they are intended for families, specifically a father with a young daughter or mother with a young son.
    Really? So what restrooms ARE intended for crossdressers? Family restrooms I have seen are basically single rooms with one stall and sink and an outside door that locks. Maybe I haven't seen true "family restrooms." Are these places where many families gather to do whatever? This isn't like a handicapped restroom where it is specially made to accommodate wheelchairs or other handicaps.

They should be our last choice and we should be in and out as quickly as possible.
    Not our last choice but the getting in and out is sort of a given. That is just courtesy. Same in the women's room in the stalls, you don't dilly dally. What do you go to restrooms to do? Loiter?

Addendum: Men's rooms allow fathers and daughters and women's rooms allow mothers and sons. 58 years ago, my mom took me in the women's room. If the child is old enough to be embarrassed by this, they are old enough to use whatever room they need. Girls that old won't want daddy helping anyway
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-18-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Reality Check
    Typically, there are no restrooms intended for crossdressers.

Offhand, I can't remember the wording, but the family restroom at my local mall has a sign stating who the restroom is intended for and crossdressers are not included. It was something like families with small children and people who need assistance.

I'm only stating how it is, not trying to start an argument.

When I'm dressed as female I still use the male restrooms. It has caused a little turmoil from time to time alright but oh well, sucks to be the people that can't handle it.

Because I identify with being male 90% of the time, I just keep it that way and use the mens washrooms.

Banned Read only
    The only point is quick relief is it not? Unless you like to share the powder room mirror with GG's, the only objective for me is to get in and out calmly and quickly without causing a fuss to anyone or inspiring or inciting a dangerous or threatening scene.
    I think it is safer to use the "loo" that corresponds best with your look. That means the womens'. I grab the stall closest to the door.
    And for me the mens' room is just out. I'm not sure if I can defend myself in 4" pumps.
    And handicapped rooms and stalls as well are out. It's just wrong.
    Anyone with a three-year old who really, really, really, REALLY!! has to go! (of course it's a different story once you're inside) (lol)) knows how frustrating it is when the "Family" potty is occupied. It's just wrong to plop our tushies down in there as well.
    And so that takes some simple and prudent planning:
    I've said in other posts that I try to limit potty breaks by limiting fluid intake, especially coffee and tea hours before I venture out. A big meal the night before is not a great idea either. I have scouted out loos, and looked at the map of the location in advance so as to stroll in confidently and also to avoid asking the locus looius of someone who might not be so understanding. Upon exiting I wait until the room seems empty.
    Some wet wipes, a small hand mirror to adjust makeup and a small bottle of hand sanitizer are real life savers.
    Last edited by ophelia; 09-21-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Careful I bite <3
    A lot of "family" restrooms are being renamed for transgendered patrons in places with less than accepting laws. Know your local situation (laws, people), and behave accordingly.

I do use family restrooms sometimes.