Thread: Going Shopping!

Going Shopping!

^.^

I am going to get dressed to go to Safeway.

The difference between now and when I did Safeway before is the time.
    In this case, I will be shopping when most of the people I know there will
    see me, including a boyfriend who does not like it when I am dressed up.
    (He is gay and likes men, so me being a woman doesn't appeal to him.)

If I stop in at the convenience store on the way home, even more fun can
    ensue.

Amy M. Jackson

Sounds good to me Amy. Have fun my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

^.^

An INTERESTING experience, I must say ...

The ride to and from Safeway was largely uneventful. I passed a few people on my bike, and they
    were all civil or courteous. Once I got to Safeway, the really fun part began. It started virtually
    as soon as I walked in the door. My boyfriend didn't really talk much to me, but like I said, he
    likes men, so there ya go. When I got into the store itself, one of the first people I noticed was
    an older man who was obviously surprised to see me, because I think he did a triple-take. I am
    thinking that the older generation does not really get what the younger generations are like,
    and this is a 46-year old talking about someone probably in their 70s or 80s. I can only
    imagine what you younguns' in your 20s are doing...

I may have gotten some looks while I was shopping, but I generally tried to not worry about it.
    When I got to the check-out, I deliberately went to the line where my friend Emory was working.
    I wanted to get his reaction. He barely talked to me, just kinda checked out my groceries, and
    that was it. The woman ahead of me noticed, but did not say anything, and of course anyone
    around me in the line noticed too, but pretty much nothing was said. I noticed a few giggles
    once I was safely away, but as others have said here, don't assume such giggles are about you.

Then I went over to Lou, a woman checker that I also knew. She just could not figure me out,
    she was giving me this look like "What the Hell ..." and when I asked her how I looked, she
    said "I don't know..." More giggles from some of the people in her line as well.

The only difference between today and when I went to Bed & Body Works, and K Mart on Saturday,
    is that I ran into people that knew me from before I started dressing. I have only visited Safeway
    once before, and that was at night, when none of the people I saw today work. I don't feel bad
    about the experience, and I am not surprised. I guess I am mostly disappointed, mostly with Lou,
    who I figured might be more understanding.

I am also glad in a way for how the experience turned out. It was not uniformly positive, as most
    of the other environments I have dived into since I have started dressing have been. This is a good
    thing because I need to train myself for how I will handle varying levels of rejection or hostility.
    While I doubt I will ever face either of those at a place like Safeway, at the very least, it was a
    rather large stone thrown into the lake that is my somewhat limited social life.

I figure I will stay mostly dressed today, and just go to work later.

Amy M. Jackson

Silver Member
    I'm sure you have given a lot of thought and careful consideration into how your actions are going to impact your life going forward?

^.^

Actually Arbon, probably not. My personality is emerging into a rather aggressive mode, and
    quite frankly, I think my approach is right. I am a woman, if I am going to live as one, I am
    going to have to do things like shopping and such, and I will have to interact with people who
    only know me as a man.

I might lose some respect from these people, but then again, they've not been close for about
    eight years. It's not as though Safeway will slam its doors on me because of who I am.

Amy M. Jackson

Amy,
    Your boyfriend may not like it but he won't freak out either, what's the worry?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.