Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feminine speech in crossdressers?

Feminine speech in crossdressers?

I remember when I was around 12-13 years old, I saw a video taken of me and my sisters and cousins at a party when I was about 8, and I was shocked by how feminine my voice was. I really didn't think I was overly girly as a kid until I saw this video. I talked very much like a girl. I know all little boys have a high voices, but it was more the inflection and stuff, extremely feminine.

When I saw that video I felt really embarassed. I also remember other instances where I heard my voice played back, but even when I was trying to control my voice I still always had this very feminine sound.

Now as an adult it still happens, I've heard voice my played back from times when I didn't know I was recorded and was surprised by my own femininity. My voice is high for a guy but too deep to be mistaken as female I think, but I often wonder if when people hear me speak do they think I'm gay right away. I don't have a flamboyant voice like the stereotyped gay voice, but very quiet and feminine and passive. My "s" sound is very feminine.

Is this common with crossdressers? Another one of the telltale signs?

I think it's difficult to pull off if you're not using to speaking in a fem way. Can't remember if I've ever had to speak to someone while dressed. At least not a proper full-blown conversation anyway. I'd be too embarrassed for that.

Hard to say Ciara, at least for me these days, I don't think anyone would ever mistake my voice as nothing but that of a man's. I do recall a few times as a teen being mistaken as one of my sisters over the phone, which embarrassed me at the time. Made me paranoid as well, as I was dressing at the time and felt that I was giving off cues to my secret. Kim

My voice is so deep and low pitched it would be very hard to pull it off. I try and keep my mouth shut when I'm in girl mode as my wife said it kills the moment.

Im told i have a very soft voice, not really high its kind of in between, i can do a real girly voice but it just makes me sound gayer than i already sound lol oh well
    Last edited by CrossJess; 06-10-2014 at 04:50 PM.

I had to 'train' my male voice to sound masculine at work; out in public in 'boy mode', etc. But my real voice is very sweet, seductive & sexy. That's the way I was made.

My voice cannot and will not be mistaken as feminine.

I don't know about crossdressing (I'm a GG), but my voice never sounds the way it sounds in my own head. I HATE hearing myself on tape. My voice is always "too" or "not enough" something or other.

My brother was a late bloomer like you. Slow to grow, slow to shave, slow to change voices. His voice is also not as deep as other males, and he is not a CDer.

My SO (who is a CDer) has a very deep voice.
    Reine

I haven't actually crossdressed in about 5 years and I've never been in public, if I did I think I'd use my normal voice and not try to be any more fem.

Most of what I know about CDs is what I've read on this forum. I don't know how insecure people on here are about being feminine especially if you live a straight lifestyle and are closeted as a CD (like me). It seems like a lot of CDs are quite masculine in real life and I wish I could say I'm the same but I'm just not manly no matter how I try.

I don't want to be a woman or anything and I have no idea what motivates me to crossdress. But I do have a fem speech pattern, I have a very passive personality and I somehow ended working in a "pink collar" profession.

I guess as a CD it's good being naturally fem, I remember when I was still dressing I felt like it was quite easy for me to walk like a girl and sit like a girl and stuff. That kinda stuff has always come natural to me... Maybe a little too natural!

girly girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciara09 View Post
    ...I don't have a flamboyant voice like the stereotyped gay voice, but very quiet and feminine and passive. My "s" sound is very feminine.
    I have a question(raises hand) -- what does a very feminine sounding "S" sound like? I'm not sure but I imagine it to be a little bit longer than a male "S", more like "Sss"?

Yeah it's just a bit longer. The gay stereotype voice is probably more exaggerated in this regard. Sometimes you do hear men with that s sound that isn't quite as flamboyant. With me its kind of subtle but I definitely notice it when I hear myself. I tend to suppress it when I'm more conscious of it. I don't how noticeable it is to others but most women have it, some more than others.

I think if you took the average male voice and change the pitch high they would sound like a young boy or maybe a tomboy. Me I think I would sound quite like a female if you raised the pitch of my voice.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I don't know about crossdressing (I'm a GG), but my voice never sounds the way it sounds in my own head.
    ^this. I've heard myself on tape, and I know why people think I'm a moron; it's the upper register sound combined with a nasal twang and New York style loss of the ending consonants. It's not like Mike Tyson's high pitch voice, but I'll never have the Robert Mitchum or Sam Elliot voice that I wish I could have.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Lol, s_miss, it's not as bad as you might think. I'm sure the people in your life don't think you have a bad voice at all, even though you don't like the sound of it on tape. I cringe every time my SO and I walk into his place, and he listens to a voice message I had left earlier. Ugh. But he doesn't seem to mind my voice at all!
    Reine

My cd voice sounds so fake to me I refuse to even practice it in front of my wife, I'm hoping it will get better, or I'll just get used to it. This is one of my big fears of out and about in drag

I'm still afraid to even try. I think I'd have to practice with a tape recorder to see how ridiculous I'd sound first. Speech is probably the most difficult obstacle you'll face if you are trying to pass. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

I do have two older sisters and my voice was mistaken for them a few times. But I remember very well an incident from when I was about 12 and already self conscious, I once answered the phone and the a woman asked for me. My real name sounds feminine and is often for a female's. I said to the woman "Speaking." And she said "Oh... I didn't realize you were a little girl!" Not only did she think I was a girl after hearing my voice, but a "little" girl! And I was a 12 year old boy! I can look back and laugh about that now but at the time it was tough on me, made me even more paranoid about my sexuality and gender.

I sound hideous enough talking normally, putting on a more feminine voice would probably just accentuate it more. I sound like a slightly camp 13 year old private school boy whose voice just broke.

I have been paying closer attention to my speech style today after posting this and yeah I think I am like ReineD in that the way I hear my voice when I'm speaking is totally different than how it sounds when I hear it played back. I mostly just think I sound like a normal guy when I'm talking then if I hear it played back I hear the feminine inflections that I wasn't really aware of.

But there was one exception I picked up on today which is the "st" sound. I greeted a girl I know named Kristen like "hi Kristen" and right after I said it I was aware that I sound really gay when I say the name Kristen. Its the "st" and yeah I noticed it in other words too like "stop" although for some reason less so than in "Kristen." So then later I kept repeating the word "Kristen" to myself and trying to say it like a normal guy and it was actually kinda hard. I could do it a few times shortening the "st" sound but oddly it's awkward for me and I have trouble repeating it like that. It's so weird it's like the way my tongue hits my teeth or something.

I talk with my hands, exclaim a lot, use feminine pronouns, walk with small steps...

I won't go on but I find it difficult to cover it all up in guy mode.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

When talking on the phone I am often mistaken as a female, mainly by pesty salesman, I hope that my voice sounds female when I'm out & about dressed enfemme.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Yeah I have to call a courier at work sometimes and I sometimes worry I'm gonna get ma'amed but it hasn't happened yet. They ask my name and as I said my name is often mistaken for a females so sometimes I think they're not sure what my gender is when I call, cuz although I have fem speech pattern my voice is deeper than your typical female for sure.

Clara,
    I love it when I'm mistaken dor being female, especially when I'm not on the phone. This has happened a number of times, to my great surprise. But I do question the oberservers eyesight when I'm mistaken for a mature woman.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

As a cd I guess I would like it on some level but it's the awkwardness of having to correct someone when they get your gender wrong that I fear, because I'm extremely shy so it's hard for me to deal with the awkwardness.

The time the woman thought I was a little girl as a 12 year old, my mom picked the phone up right after I answered, I didn't know but she was listening when the lady called me a little girl (mom heard it, ouch!). The lady actually asked for my mom and then my mom chimed in, "this is his mom and actually he's not a little girl!" and then laughed. I think it's funny now but at that time not so much, lol.

Platinum Member
    Hi Caira, My deep male voice is here to stay.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

When i called girls i liked in school from middle school to 10th grade most of them honestly thought they were talking to a girl, and one time they honestly told me that they didnt know they were talking to me until they asked me. My voice isnt really deep but its not high. when i was at the cd/trans meeting in my area and this subject came up, a few of them were saying that it would be easier for me to try to get a female voice/tone than someone who is much deeper than myself but i really havent played with trying to modify my voice yet.