Thread: Thinking about seeing a therapist

Thinking about seeing a therapist

Well to start off, I'm 20 and I recently " came out " to a few friends as a crossdresser and they were totally supportive of it. But it's brought up some weird feelings for me when one of them asked if I was transgender. I just said I didn't want to deal with labels for now. That as far as I was concerned, it was just crossdressing. But I remember even as a little kid I remember always being more interested in girl activities and styles, trying on clothes or nail polish or whatever my mom had around, and generally wanting to play with the girls but I knew boys weren't supposed to do that stuff and I was worried what people would do if I did. I even specifically remember instances where I would go to sleep wishing I could wake up as a girl. Now I feel conflicted because I don't quite have that same bedtime wish, but I don't really know if it's because that was all some phase, or if it's simply just because I'm older and understand it doesn't work like that.

So naturally, I thought about going to see a therapist, I figure someone who has dealt with this kind of thing before could help point in the right direction. And if it turns out this is just me being a spaz, then at least I could vent to someone about all of this.

Hi there and welcome to the forums.
    Might be a good idea to complete your profile and introduce yourself in a post via this link
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...-Introductions

Therapy is always a good next step, whether you're sure about your needs or otherwise, it can be a great learning mechanism.
    As you highlighted, you can also vent your thoughts and feelings and see how that pans out for you.

The question really still stands, "Are you transgender"?
    I mean technically, the answer is yes because you're a CD and pretty much anyone with any degree of dysphoria can fit within the definition of transgender.
    But I assume what they're asking is "are you going to transition".
    And if that's the case, then it's really down to you.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Samantha -x-

Hello Tegan...

Good advice from Samantha - including doing an Intro here - first off please stop thinking that you're a spaz... you're not! Many of us here have been through what you're going through now, to greater or lesser degrees, and in a society that was a lot less accepting. We've mostly come through it in one piece and so will you.

Getting to talk to a counsellor or therapist about this is a good idea - preferably one with some experience of gender issues, but most will do to begin with... That should help you begin to sort out what you're really feeling and perhaps why...

Take your time over doing this and reaching any conclusions - there's no need to rush in jumping to conclusions... You have supportive friends, which is good news - and you've found this place, which is hopefully also good news... There is plenty to read here and an opportunity to vent whenever you need to (within reason.. )

You're not alone.... take your time... Keep Calm & Carry On!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Hi Tegan
    There are a few posts in here recounting members experiences with therapists, might be worth a read. Also as Samantha says it would pay to do an intro of yourself.
    In my humble opinion the best therapy I have found has come from the members of this site. Here you can ask questions about anything that is on your mind and you will get honest and open responses without judgement or ridicule. We all share similar stories and are mostly searching for similar objectifications.
    Spend some time getting to know your 'sisters' here, it may be a good start. The best thing that happened to me was to join this forum. I have learnt a lot and gained understanding that I needed. I also met a girl who is a very dear friend and we talk every weekend over Face time. We have supported each other, delved deeply into our own mindset and bared our souls. Knowing that we share so much in common (not just CD) has given me comfort and acceptance of who I am. I know she feels the same as does her wife who joins our conversations. In addition I talk with many of my online friends either through this Forum or through email. These girls have been fantastic in their support and dare I say 'love' and I am proud to have them as friends and be able to support them in my own way also.
    The thing with therapists, if you can find the right one, is I don't believe they truly understand our issues (unless they live what we live). Having someone to talk to is key to understanding.
    No one here is going to think your a spaz
    Luv
    Amanda
    Last edited by Amanda L.; 09-07-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: correction to text

Best thing I ever did. You will be amazed at the weight lifted off your shoulders. Don't waste years wallowing in shame and guilt.

http://www.femulate.org/2013/02/coun...ssdresser.html

Hi Tegan, it is probably a good idea if you feel that you really need to talk out loud to someone about it. You will find that there is quite a lot to be gained from being on this site, and read what other like minded people think and feel.

I have found it very useful and it has helped me tremendously. You are quite young and I do not mean that patronizingly, just that you have time. As was said by someone else here, you don't want to spend years of your life unhappy and doubting what you are.

Be happy with what you are and remember there are many of us around so you are not alone. Be strong.

Best of luck. Lucy Lou xx

Hi Tegan: I would strongly recommend it. But then for me, it is a great experience and resource. Mine specializes in gender issues, so she is really great. I didn't know where to start in finding one, so I started with my family doctor, and he highly recommend her. As others have posted, it is great to speak to someone who is knowledgable and can be supportive, while at the same time really asking the tough questions and getting you to really think about things. It is great to speak with someone who isn't judging you about your thoughts, concerns, fears etc.

So, my worth. Good luck. Hope it goes well.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Platinum Member
    The therapist, of she is competent, won't be pointing you in a direction. She should be helping you understand yourself, to clarify your thinking and in the end, help you find a measure of self acceptance in whatever you are.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt