Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse discrimination

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.

Reverse discrimination

Well today was a first for me.
    I was leaving the grocery and two black teen girls and one teen black guy were out front.
    I passed by and one of the girls started giggling and the other said Dayum one of them he she do daddies.
    The boy couldn't of cared less which was cool until he wanted to act cool in front of the girls.
    He said Yo you busy tonight sweetie?
    I turned and looked at them then turned around and kept walking, one girl got up and said you are ****ed up you know that?
    I turned around again and said lighten up OK? He said yeah bitch I'll lighten up all over your white fag ass.
    I continued on to my car put my groceries in the back and walked back over to them.
    The guy started to get a worried look on his face and started backing up. The girls were getting bolder in their giggling.
    I said what you are doing is wrong you know that its just as bad if I had said something about the color of your skin.
    The boy said you better not say anything about it because thats a hate crime bro'.
    I said yep and what all 3 of you did is a hate crime too and I'm ready to make a phone call because I'm sure is all on tape from that camera right up in the corner there (pointing to it).
    I said you can apologize and I'll let it go.
    The girls said we're sorry we didn't me any harm and the boy was nowhere to be found he high tailed it out of there.Big man huh?
    I really love everybody no matter skin color or ethnic back ground we all need to treat people as human beings.
    I hope they learned a lesson.

nice to handle a bad situation with a come back as you did ,have to give you a lot credit to stand up against 3 idiots with nothing better to do .You can only hope that at least one of them leaned a lesson .

Oh Traci, well done you!!! Well done!

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Platinum Member
    Hi Tracii, And the look on their faces must've been priceless.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Good job Traci. Very maturely and professionally handled. It would almost be cool that you ran into the girls alone another time to give them and you a chance to discuss what had happened in hopefully a more cool and collective manner. I know that you could do that. I had the same thing happen to me about 3+ years ago coming home from some event in the early evening on BART, our San Francisco Bay Area rapid transit system. The girls around 12-14 and the boys with them about the same age were sitting across from myself and a quieter TS friend of mine. The young girls were the interested parties in this scenario and the guys were just there. They kept asking questions in that early teeny bopper smart ass way, and I would answer them as best I could. The girls got bolder and I think the boys got more worried. Anyway, we got off before they did and on exiting the platform a few people on the train came to our support, so to speak and after the fact, to say how bad they felt for us. I think that when possible, meaning from a personal safety point of view, we can and probably should politely confront our antagonists to help them better understand. It takes some street smarts and patience, but sometimes these dumb smart ass kids can be enlightened. Thanks for sharing and bringing back my memory of a similar situation.

How was that "reverse discrimination"? Race was probably incidental to what those kids said, as it didn't even come up until after you said, "lighten up," which in context was a somewhat loaded phrase. It was a case of gender bias, and that's just plain discrimination. If they had been white teenagers, which is just as possible, what title would you have given to essentially the same story?

I'm really leery of that term anyway, Tracii, because it implies an equivalency between ordinary black people, displaying stupid biases, and the institutionalized racism of slavery and Jim Crow. Anyone can use prejudice to cause discomfort or emotional distress, but only the powerful can--and did, and still do on occasion--use race to get away with oppressing millions of people. I take you at your word when you say, "I really love everybody," but I think it's wiser not to bring race into it unnecessarily.

Lallie

PS: It's not a hate crime unless there's violence.

PPS: I'm glad you weren't harmed.
    Time for a change.

I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that. You hear and read about so many situations that go extremely bad. In this day and age you don't know what these people "have"on their person and what might set them off to use it. Don't get me wrong, as a guy I have always been able to handle myself. But, dressed might be a different story. Sometimes there's a lo of friends around and the situation can go from bad to worse. Look at what happened to that poor guy up in Detroit who accidentally hit that young boy. The attacked him and savagely beat him, nearly to death.

It is amazing how worthless some people are in general, much lees when they find out they are on camera.
    Tami Monroe, formerly known as hawkdoc60!

Banned Spammer
    Starling the boy threatened me verbally but maybe you missed that part and yes his retort was racially voiced.
    Not that I was worried about him actually trying anything.All bark no bite type thing.
    By showing them they were discriminating against me because I was different is just as bad as someone doing that to them based on skin color.
    I think the girls were really sorry I really do and hopefully they won't make fun of trans people in the future.
    You have to stand your ground sometimes and do the right thing.
    I mentioned the encounter to a neighbor who is a local policeman and he said I did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    He said yeah bitch I'll lighten up all over your white fag ass.
    It sounds like you got a double dose of discrimination. You got reverse racial discrimination for being "white". And you were the victim of homophobia or transphobia because he used the word "fag".

Even if he didn't make the racist comment, you still were the victim of a transphobic or homophobic threat. The way he said it, and probably his mannerisms and tone of voice, it was definitely a threat.

I would have called this thread "Double Discrimination". It sounds like they committed a "double hate crime." The racist transphobic crime of the century. Our tagline will be "Racism and Transphobia on Trial"

Discrimination can go in both directions. It can go against black, white, Latino, Indian, Asian, and anything else. It can go against women or men. It can go against homosexuals or straight people. And it can go against transgender or cisgender people too.

I think you handled it well, and the police officer told you so too. I too hope the girls learned their lesson and treat trans people better in the future.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 06-22-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Banned Spammer
    Starling I expected getting flak because race is such a hot button for a lot of people.
    I treat everyone with respect and would just like to have respect shown to me. I never judge a person because of what color their skin is that ridiculous.
    We are all human are we not?

tracii, i think you handled the situation extremely well!
    as i was reading it and got to the part about you putting the groceries
    in the car and going back...i thought for sure you were gonna say
    that you went "bruce lee" on their ass... lol
    paula

I read and understood what you wrote, Tracii, but you don't seem to have read my response very carefully. You didn't answer my question about what you would call the event if the teenagers had been white. Would that have felt less hateful? I mainly objected to the term "reverse discrimination." I still think it's bogus, for the reasons I gave. And then you have Tami, talking about "worthless" people. Always and forever? Really?

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Silver Member
    I am glad this situation worked out, but I am not an advocate of confrontation. Who cares what 3 young people think or say? Unless threatened, why risk a confrontation? I also don't see that this had much to do with race but rather ignorance and hostility related to your crossdressing. Chances are they will behave the same the next time.

Better to simply get in the car, drive away and not let a few comments and giggles ruin your day.

I have pointed out reverse discrimination in the past and those that are involved do come to the realization that they are in the wrong.

It has never had anything to do with dressing but some people do forget.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Tracii you were brave to go back and take them on, it's 50/50 if they do it again but the chances are if they do they may push it further with a weaker victim !
    You were unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ! The real annoying part it possibly spoiled a good dressing day ! If there is a next time would you give them a wide birth ?

You handled the situation well and showed the teens up for what they were x

Whenever I hear somebody say something I really don't like, I tell them so. They will often back down. You did good.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Tracii . . . well played sweetie. Glad to hear you took the moral high ground as sometimes it is better to educate the masses with a "carrot" vice the "stick". I am sure they will think twice before going into a giggle fit again. Love the fact that the dude ran away . . . yeah "big man" alright . . . wonder what the girls thought of him after that.

Hugs

Isha

You have always had big balls and stood you're ground. Good job Tracii

You were the victim of discrimination and there is nothing reverse about it. As you say (and as you live), we should all respect each other. Not everyone is willing to point this out to other people in a calm, rational manner. I think you are courageous and also well-grounded in your sense of who you are, AND in how people should be treated.

I don't see this event as a hate crime, because I don't think any actual crime was committed. It is not against that law to express a hateful opinion. It is unfortunate that there are people who have hateful opinions, but if we start legislating speech, sooner or later, the people deciding what is against the law will make disagreeing with them against the law (this is what Political Correctneess is trying to accomplish, in my own hateful opinion).

Just in case my opinion here is not clear, you did good.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Oh how I hate living in Texas. Animals have more rights than TG persons here. No laws to protect us at all.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Well done. Personally, I'm tired of all the race baiting shit. Punk ass dude needs to lift his knuckles off the ground and join mature society.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Banned Spammer
    Starling it would not have made a bit of difference what their skin color was.
    I used the term discrimination because that was my point.
    The opportunity to show them what they were doing to me was discrimination pure and simple and that its not OK no matter who you are.

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you Starling.If you don't like how I handled it I'm sorry I wish the incident never happened.
    My focus is to educate others when out and about enfemme if the occasion arises.

Deedee I'm all for free speech.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-22-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Amazing. If what you told us is true then you are very bold and brave. You armed yourself with courage at the beginning of the ideal. You were smart in pointing out that what they are doing is just as much of a hate crime as you having to talk about the color of their skin and you used your surroundings such as the camera.

Also, the guy wasn't very smart in saying that it is a hate crime(about their skin color) when in fact they have committed a hate crime themselves for harassing you. Anyway, the last part was surprising in that they apologize. So I guess there is hope in this world to turn the ignorant/stupid/uneducated/intolerable people into understanding people. Well at least for the the time being such as in this case. Thank you for sharing.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress