Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Brave Are You ?

I've gone halfway before: men's shorts or pants, women's shoes, and earrings. For me it helped increase my confidence for going out fully dressed.

To each their own, I guess. However, I don't dress just to wear girl stuff. I dress to look my very best and it just so happens that I look my best looking like a woman so I wear makeup and do my hair and all of it when I go out because I want to look my best and not simply be in women's things.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

I don't dress in a way that blatantly tries to confuse people, so no dresses or skirts in male mode. OTOH, I'm quite happy walking the border in clothes that could go either way. Capris, shorts, tops in bright colors, print T-shirts, etc. are my fashion statement in male mode.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Crossdresser
    I just did it today. I went to the supermarket in womens jeans and tank top. I got a couple of nice smiles by GG's. I think they liked the top.

Much braver than I had thought previously!
    I went out dressed this weekend for the first time since my teen years, and did not want to go back. I had not been out since I was around 19 years old, and have underdressed for a few months now, but have been very scared and lacking confidence. I think it was my trying to look like I did when a teen, and those days are long gone, honey. New dress from Kohl's, new wig, makeup I was proud of, and off to a meet-up with some locals I have only known online for some time. I was scared at first, but that wore off, and stopping for a bite to eat later on with some of my new friends was very encouraging as well. Was complimented by a few charming souls, and one GG who simply could not get over it, making this the first big step in a grand direction.

Yep, been to the gas station. I've also go out on the beach at Ocean City NJ.
    DonnaT

I am out of town so I just starting to venture out....still in male mode waiting for my wife to suggest I shave my mustache...I have not been agreeable in the past but mabe she will twist my arm...but I am underdressing and exposing some female attireiphone pics 1521.jpg

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I was about to say that this idea of heading out "partially" dressed is not what Tina is all about. But....then it occurred to me that I have been dressed in male mode wearing woman's jeans, a sweater from VS, a turtleneck, and loafers. It never hit me that I really was not dressed in anything noticeably male, but my interactions with people all day were completely normal.

I had normal reactions from a lot of people...most didn't seems to care at all

I drove to work last night dressed in a pleated skirt and tank top. Felt good to be out and about dressed even if it was 2am

Truth is that, with few buy notable exceptions, no one really gives a flying fart about what people around them are doing. Unless you are one of those whose totally out there to get noticed or you just insist on wearing the prom dress to Cracker Barrel you will most likely just be ignored. I am 44 years old, 5'7'', and nearly 300 pounds and no one gives me a second look anywhere I go. Sure there is a lot to be said for dressing like the girls around me and making sure I look my best and that I am confident in myself just as I am, but most people are only focused on what immediately affects them.

Of course, the point of this thread is about those who want to stir up the pot for whatever reason. As I've stated before, I don't personally care to be the "dude in chicks clothes" so i don't do that, but I also find that wearing women's jeans and a t-shirt doesn't get me any extra attention - people aren't out there studying everyone around them to see who's "out of place."

Getting noticed takes work.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

I once read something to the effect of, bravery isn't being scared, it's being scared but doing it anyway. Now then. There's a difference between being brave, and being stupid. When the risks greatly overwhelm the benefits of an action, you really have to stop and think of how much you need to do it. As I have absolutely no wish to be out, nor be stuck with having to deal with the possible ramifications of doing so, going out dressed in female clothes would be stupid, not brave. I've done plenty of brave things in my life, but I don't consider going out in a dress as potentially one of them.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    When the risks greatly overwhelm the benefits of an action, you really have to stop and think of how much you need to do it.
    Of course there's a cost/benefit analysis involved. This isn't any kind of willy-nilly mindless activity. The venue and surroundings are chosen very carefully. And the awareness of surroundings is paramount. It's part of the thrill and I believe it speaks to some primal urge.
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    As I have absolutely no wish to be out, nor be stuck with having to deal with the possible ramifications of doing so, going out dressed in female clothes would be stupid, not brave. I've done plenty of brave things in my life, but I don't consider going out in a dress as potentially one of them.
    Hey, it's just exciting and has no correlation with bravery or stupidity. And unlike some other brave/stupid things that some people find oddly necessary, I doubt they'll be scraping me up off the highway and searching for my organ donor card due to a crossdressing miscalculation. This is just harmless fun.

Check this out!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Gone to live my life
    For me I do not mix "boy me" and "girl me" I am one or the other . . . sorry it is just the way I roll.

I know I am not fooling anyone when dressed "en femme" and they will get there eventually (in about 10-15 seconds on contact) but I am not going to make it easy for them either . . . a girl has to have some secrets after all

Hugs

Isha

If I'm going out dressed I would always do it fully presenting as female. For me it would just make no sense. To do it half way. I enjoy switching back and forth but I guess I would never blend them together too much. An androgynous look in a hipster/punk sense can be attractive and is something I've done in the past though.

Platinum Member
    Not my thing. I really do not go out with the goal of startling anyone or having an laugh at someone's expense. I go out dressed and made up as presentable female as I can manage, with the hope of not disturbing, disrupting or calling attention to myself. I do this out of respect for others and for myself.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    I have not done that, don't really want to do that either. I don't think it is bravery - it is personal style choice.

I do it quite often. But my natural hair is very long and styled and colored very girly.

The only people who notice are usually GGs. Most men could care less what other men wear.

It's not necessarily about stirring the pot as one poster suggested

I just got back from a week long cruise down to Roatan, then Belize City, then Cozumel. I thought about dressing fully en-femme, but it was hot, and it was more about just dressing how I wanted to dress.

So, I had a French manicure and pedicure, and I wore some ladies' tank tops and shorter shorts, not to confuse people or to stir the pot, but because I wanted to express my feminimity.

A couple of nights, I wore my girls jeans and button ups with three quarter length sleaves, a fairly feminine necklace and various bracelets.

Over the whole week, I did not get one negative comment, and I got quite a few smiles and people wanting to engage me in conversation.

I told my gender therapist about it, and she did indicate that that may have confused some people. But, I wanted to see what it was like to express that side of me without the protection of my wig and makeup. In some ways, it has given me more confidence to dress fully en femme and not worry about peoples' reactions. I think I need to explore this more with my therapist.

Best,
    Caitlyn
    Last edited by Keri L; 06-24-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

--Jack Handy

That is pretty much the norm for me. I have only worn a wig once or twice. And sometimes do a little lipstick and mascara but usually don't.
    20140611_161049.jpg20140606_140118.jpg
    Even if you ARE the sharpest tool in the shed, your still a tool.

Today after coming out to all my friends and family two months ago, I took some baby steps and went to my Therapist dressed in just comfortable womens clothing. Nice jeans, a Husker top with lacy shoulders and my wedge open toed sandals with minimal makeup. I walked in and the 2 receptionists greeted me as normal and everything went as normal. I got a few looks but I was doing this to be myself so i just remembered reading other threads with people saying noone really cares unless your going out of your way to gain attention which i wasn't. Felt really good today and even the drive there and back wasn't so hard.

Tina
    Last edited by Tina G; 06-24-2014 at 11:53 PM.