Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those of us over 60, how many of us would have transitioned if born in the 80s?

I consider myself to be a CD, not TS. I like to dress, but I don't really feel like a girl inside.

But if I was born in the 80's, my whole life path could have changed.

Suppose I was born in 1983. I would have graduated HS in 2001 and college in 2005.

Information about gender identity would have been much easier to come by. I could have been on the Internet all througout HS, and I would have known what a CD and a TS are. There would have been people besides Christine Jorgenson whom I could have emulated. My dad might have been less homophobic so I would have been less fearful of coming out.

I saw my first CD at Hallowen, my freshman year of college. I might have found a group of CDers in college to hang out with. I probably would have CDed in college a lot.

I got married at 25, which would be 2008 in this scenario. I think I would have been open to my future wife prior to marriage, and she would have probably run for the hills. Between that, and the tendancy to marry later in life, I probably would still be single.

Today I would be 31. With my better understanding of CD and TS, would I transition, or would I plan on spending the next 40 or 50 years as a male? I think I would have transitioned or at least taken the middle path.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Oh my, this is a question that is so hard to answer...too many variables. The life we are born into takes us so many different places and forms us in so many tiny ways. But my guess, all things being equal, my answer is yes, I would have. And while very young, I am pretty sure.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Banned Read only
    There are distinct differences between the plight of a cross dresser and a man who wishes to transition to a woman. Since I am a cross dresser happy with my male role, I would not change anything. I have had no desire to become a woman. I suspect if I was born a girl, I would have been classified as a tom boy in the 1950's. If I was born in the 1980's the Internet would have shown me that I was not a pervert (as we were classified in the 1950's or assumed to be queers, faggots and other vile names), and, there are many men out there who like to wear women's clothing on occasion.

I'll be 60 soon and I think I would have (I wish that I would have had the guts to do it) and I really am thinking of doing it still... It's not too late is it?

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    WOW my head is spinning.
    My entire life would have been so much different if I had been born 40 years later.
    All the mysterious little things that I enjoyed but didnt know what to do with them, like enjoying dress shopping with my wife, and loving to be mystified by womens makeup, etc.
    If I had the tools that are available now, I would have taken a much different path. Would I have transitioned, Thats hard to tell since my brain still flip flops on what I am.
    But I might have settled down in San Fran, or New Hope, PA. where being Bobbi, would be more of the norm.
    Great thread, Thanks
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

I really don'y know I've been A dresser for a very lone time. I have a great family wife kids grandkids If thongs didn't turn out like they did I just may have.
    Angie

Aspiring Member
    This may run long. I'm 61 having been born in 1953. In my very early years I did some mild crosdressing without knowing what it was. I had 3 older sisters and maybe was emulating them. It was supressed and I was humiliated for it. When I was about 10 a sudden feeling came over me to dress again and I'd try on my sister's things. I also related better to girls than guys. But I followed along doing boy things like scouts, boy hobbies, and hanging with the boys. Yet there was a nagging feeling and an envy to enjoy girl things like dolls and playing house. One day I even pushed my "thing" to make it an "innie" though I didn't realize what I was doing. I kept it all hidden and even through tough dating experiences and a failed marriage I could enjoy CDing on a limited basis. I always felt inhibited about sex with women. I also felt inhibited about experimental sex with men.

Now let's fast forward to the original question. If I were born in the '80's or 90's to open minded parents, I could have explored more about myself and defined my sexuality. If there was an accurate test for GID at an early age I would welcome delaying puberty with hormone blockers as they do today. I hated growing tall and growing facial hair. I felt very awkward throughout my teen years and was a social recluse. The feeling of relating better with the other girls was gnawing at me and I wnated to "be on their team."

I know for sure that I've always felt awkward making love to a woman. Today I feel like I would feel better with a male partner who would take the dominant role. I've always done male things that any female can do. For me it's not about getting all dressed up, but just to enjoy being who I am. Throughout my life I've felt pressured to put on a male facade and conform to what is considered "normal" for a male. If I could just let go and follow how I feel, I'd transition. However, all of the socializing building a persona after all these years, it would be very difficult for me to do so today. If I could start young, yes I would transition. Yes, I'd truly enjoy the clothes, socially interacting, a job as a woman, and a relationship with a man. I could still enjoy the things I enjoyed as a boy. I feel that femininity is a wonderful sense of being.

Cheryl

If I would have had the necessary information back in the eighties I most certainly would have transitioned. My problem has always been too little information too late. Then of course I also met my wife.

I definitely would have, absolutely. When I was in my mid-teens, at the start of the seventies, I dressed pretty much as a girl all the time, just stopping short of a skirt or bra. If I had thought it was possible I would have transitioned then and there.

I'm in my 50's and if the Internet was around in my teens, I know my life would have been a lot different to the one I enjoy now! To answer your question I'm pretty sure I would be Mrs. Instead of Mr.
    Adelaide

If I knew then what I know now, yes!
    When I asked questions in the 1960's I was just told that I had a sickness that needed to be cured. So, of course I hid everything and pronounced myself cured.

Yes. No. Maybe. I don't like being male--never been aggressive enough--and that may be part of why I began dressing...I don't know. The older I get, and I am past 60, the more I identify as female....

I'm nearing 60 and I found what Stephanie (sterusjon) said to be closest to my feelings:

"My wife of nearly 46 years [30 years in my case], God bless her, and I have come to an accommodation in the past few years that allows me to experience what I need to get along with myself and her. If, however, the hypothetical were true and I found myself, unattached, informed and understanding of my true self, I would jump at the chance to transition as a relative youngster. As things really are now, I am content with where I am right now."

I'm not sure I'm totally content, but I accept my situation.

I was born in 1953 and things were sure a lot different back then. To say girls such as were in the closet was polite. I suppose had I been born 20 or 30 years later I may have transitioned at a younger age but who knows the coulda's. woulda's and shoulda's of life? I did blossom as a woman in the 80"s and it was a fun time for those who were around. Granted the number of girls out back then was miniscule compered to today but we were a close group and had a lot of fun together! In some ways I miss the good old days!

The opportunity presented itself to me 6 years ago and I took it and have never looked back. It has been everything I hoped for and yes I do regret not doing at at a younger age but I didn't so I make what I can of the time I have now.
    Some ask why? Some ask why not? I ask "Does this pump come in a 9 1/2?"

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    I would have transitioned knowing what I know now. Having been born 30 years later would have made such a difference for me and I suspect quite a few others here as well. In the end, it's all about happiness, and I truly believe as a woman I would be more happy.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

I don't know. Maybe. I think my life certainly would have been a lot different, if I had been born 30 or 40 years later. I think I would have experimented a lot more and who knows where that might have lead. I so admire those who have taken that step.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Nope, not me! I am a cross-dresser, a man who likes to wear women's clothes.
    Cara

Aspiring Member
    Not me either. I am a man who likes to wear women's clothes at times as well as create a female character for a costume function.

I just Love being a Gurl! bobbimo's Avatar
    some days yes and some-days no.
    In this day and age its much easier to find an abundance of facts and support for anything. In the 'old days' all these feelings had to suppressed unless you wanted to be shamed out of existence.
    Only a few very strong individuals had the courage and support to know they were the wrong sex and made the change.
    Now also the knowledge base is growing and one can take the gender test, which helped me immensely. The first one I took told me that I need both genders in my life for me to be happy. I had no idea that I could do this, and now I am content. I would love to be able to be Bobbi more, but also enjoy those days when I can swing a sledge hammer and cuss like a sailor too.
    Bobbi
    Aint nothin gonna happen that aint supposed too!

Not me.. I am glad I am male and just like to dress

No. Being a child of the fifties it is the clothes of that time fascinated me and still do. I am sure I would still have been attracted to female clothes, if born in the eighties, but maybe not with the same passion. However I don't really know.

Not me, like female and male sides. Just enjoy fem clothes more!

I probably would. But it's fair to say that I could have transitioned in the eighties if I took my chances when they presented themselves. I met a TS back then. It wasn't unknown even in Ireland particularly in Dublin where I lived. Most travelled to Britain to transition. I could have done that.
    But I don't do regrets anymore. Besides I got to wear eighties clothes. Although I did have to remove the shoulder pads!

With what I know now, I would have.

Since we're hypothesizing here then I'll answer with a Yes.
    Had all the information and support and so one been available to me when I began at about age 6 or so with all the technology I'm fairly certain I would have come out in my late teens or early 20's and become much more involved in the community. With that support and information I feel I would have grown faster as a woman and in all likelihood would have transitioned by age 30.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !