Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For those of us over 60, how many of us would have transitioned if born in the 80s?

Aspiring Member
    I have mixed emotions about this. I was 58 when, through gender therapy, I realized that I am and always have been a woman. Of course before that I thought I was a CD and before that, gay. Well actually I am gay because I am a woman that is sexually attracted to another woman. But by age 58 a lot of water has passed under the bridge. I love our children and grandchildren. I am totally established in this society as a man. At 20 years of age, if I knew what I do now, I would have transitioned in a heartbeat. And, if I could have afforded it, undergone SRS. But that was 44 years ago. So I will always be a non-op M to F transsexual. And I can live with that. Leanne

I'm not quite 60, but it's not all that far off....

If i were born 20 years later (rather than 30), given the public acceptance, i would have been close to transitioning. With the same family, still probably not, but if they were more enlightened, it might have tipped the balance.

I'm not sorry i didn't transition, but on the other hand, had I done so, I think I would have been happy enough. Not having my wife, however, would be enough to keep me from transitioning. She would not want to live with me as a female. Much as you all may think of that as less than enlightened, it is simply how she feels, and she IS a good person, accepts my CD/GD well enough, and i enjoy playing husband to her well enough.

Had i not know I would meet her, and/or thought that i could find a life-mate had i transitioned, then yes, I probably would have.

Had I a significantly supportive upbringing, then probably yes.

There area number of aspects about my personality & life that would affect whether or not I would do well as as adopted female- I don't wish to share them here, but they would affect whether or not I would be comfortable enough being female and living as one.

One thing i have learned in the last 10-15 years is the magnitude with which many men and some women expect females to take a secondary or subservient role still, and thus decide that they are the boss or the 'big man' in any relationship- be it personal, work related, social, business, or even random interaction. There were only a limited number of times I felt or experienced this while en-femme (ostensibly passing, evidently), but it really surprised me- I got to experience first hand the gender discrimination or sexism on the receiving end. Now maybe it was more noticeable or surprising because it was my first time(s) in 30 years this happened to me (rather than having grown up with it as GGs might), but it was definitely a minus. On the plus side it changes some of the details in how I interacted with women as a man, but had i known this before transitioning, I would have had to incorporate it into the decision.

Good question, no simple or easy answer.

here is hounding yes I'm going to be 50 in the very near future, had I been born in the 80s I would have gone the full gamut without a question. Back then we simply couldn't have imagined what things would be like now the attitudes the medical advancements and everything else. So once again yes I would have definitely transitioned no problems at all

I don't know, but I doubt it. I wanted to have children, and since I could never be a mother, the only option was to be a father.

Yes. No question here.

No, I too love being a man who fancies women's clothing.

One more step... outside! Francine's Avatar
    I had my chance.... and yes, it was the early seventies. And for now, I will just leave it at that.. there would be too many other things to explain.
    Francine
    "Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
    Critisize me and I may not like you.
    Ignore me and I may not forgive you.
    Encourage me ... and I will never forget you!"

For those of you who suffer from GID and dysphoria, I really don't know how you managed to hold on all those years. I'm almost 28 and happily married but lately it's all hitting me like a ton of bricks and then some. I don't think I can fight it and pretend anymore, I already lost a few years of my life to GID related depression and I still struggle every day just to do the basic things of life. I've come out as transgender to my wife and my mother and they are trying to support me but the thought that I might be TS is as horrifying as it is enticing. I'm still young but I already have the beginnings of a life established and it seems like I am going to have to blow it all up and start over or just resign myself to being trapped in a deep depression.

It might be a little easier to deal with these things today but it's no fairy tale either. I'm looking at losing friends, family, a budding career and my whole persona. I'm worried not just for myself but for those close to me who intend to stand with me and probably get tarred and feathered along with me. I don't want to do that to them. Yet it increasingly seems like my choices are between being openly TG and possibly TS or total insanity. I want to have children too which further complicates matters, how will they suffer if their dad is a woman?

If I had to keep fighting, pretending and denying into my 60's I'd probably become a suicidal alcoholic mess.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

It is a great IF.......; I am not able to figure out or imagine properly.

Hiya
    Born in the 60s
    Have been fighting my gender FOREVER
    Meet and married my beautiful wife very young (teenager)
    Thought that would fix everything NOPE
    Feelings haven't disappeared but what I have got is a best friend that needs me and loves me
    So its to late for me and would turn my family up side down which a couldn't bear to see

If I was born in the 80s and had supportive parents YEP IN A HEART BEAT

Kiwi