Thread: Courage and Steps Forward (LONG)

Courage and Steps Forward (LONG)

I've been trying to build up courage for a while. But as it turns out the circumstances often provide the courage for you.

I haven't really dressed in front of anyone other than my SO. I've been wanting to get more daring. And the last few times I was in a hotel, I've come close when ordering room service, only to throw something on over my fem clothes in the last second. I even go in the halls or onto other floors via stairs at night, to get ice or soda or a snack. And when I do, I partially don't want to be seen, but of course a big part of me just wants my fem side to be discovered.

That brings me to last night. I ordered room service again. I was wearing a LBD and when he knocked, I quickly changed into drab. After he left, I changed into a GORGEOUS flowery chemise, put on light makeup, and worked a little. Later I just passed out on the bed while watching TV.

I woke up at about 11:30 at night. I decided to have a little fun. I went out to get some ice for the warm hotel water. I put on some heels, made sure my makeup is right, and looked for ice. The ice maker was on a different floor, so I had to use stairs. It was a huge rush and felt amazing.

A little later, I went around looking for soda. I found a machine on the second floor--near the business center and gym. There was someone in the business center. So I quickly got a soda and started walking back to the stairwell. But I lingered a little bit and enjoyed the soda on a chair far enough that I couldn't be seen.

That's when the chain of events that started my first public outing started. The elevator dinged, so I knew someone was about to come out. I got up and ran towards the gym. And as I was running, I noticed the lady in the business center standing and looked like she was coming out. So I ran into the stairwell. I don't think I was seen, but can't be sure.

I walked up to the seventh floor, where my room was. And I went to scan my keycard to unlock the door to get from the stairwell to my floor, I realized I didn't have the key. And the panic started. I looked everywhere on me, and there weren't many places to look. Nothing. I walked up and down the stairs three times looking for it. Nothing. I realized I may have to go down the first floor and exit wherever the stairwell ultimately leads. That was a scary thought. But first, started on the second floor and tried to open every door--maybe I could sneak onto a floor and take the elevator down to the second floor. FINALLY, on the 12th floor, I found reprieve. The door wasn't fully closed and I could just swing it open!

Then I started seeing people. As I walked towards the elevator, a guy walked by me. I had nowhere to run so I just kept walking. He did a head nod and I did the same. Then when I was waiting for the elevator, a younger couple came into the elevators. I just stood panicked. I was just frozen hoping the moment would end. But just as the doors opened, she said "that's a beautiful nightie." That made my day! I just said thanks because that's all I could muster.

The couple pushed the same number as me. They were going to the second floor as well. As we were standing there, the guy asked where I'm from. That ended up sparking a nice conversation that eventually led to us talking outside the second floor elevator for a little while. I almost forgot that I was out in a chemise looking for my room key and trying not to be seen.

Finally, I got to the chair I was sitting in and didn't find the key. I looked everywhere I had been on the floor and couldn't find it. So finally, I just bit the bullet and took the elevator down to the first floor.

When I got there, a few people were in line waiting to check in. With my new confidence, I just stood in line and waited. There were some people sneering and commenting to each other. But a middle-aged woman who was in line in front of me made me feel better by asking me about my chemise. That led to a conversation about how I bought it. Like, did I buy online or at a store. She was curious to see how CDs shop. And as she left the line to go to the counter, she said "well, you look lovely dear." Made me feel like a million bucks!

Then I got to the counter. The receptionist was a cute younger girl so I was pretty embarrassed. I told her I lost my key and don't have my ID. She said she remembered me checking in and ID wouldn't be necessary. She commented on my makeup and said she likes how I pull off looking like a woman. As she was handing me my key, she just ended what she was saying with "I guess I'm just saying you look cute." I just retorted, "YOU look cute."

I was in heaven. I just walked back to the elevators. Shared an elevator with someone going up. Didn't feel a bit of anxiety. Just went up like it was normal. The next morning, I ordered breakfast and when room service came, I finally did it. I opened the door wearing fem clothes and was proud of it. After eating breakfast I went back down to the second floor to see if I could find the key now that I wasn't as anxious about it. There were people working out in the gym who could see me looking but I didn't mind. I finally saw it. It had fallen under the soda machine and you could only catch a corner of it. I missed it when I was panicked, but when I was finally calm it was very obvious.

All in all, it's a long story, but a huge turning point! I'm definitely not ready to come out to more people I know or go out locally. But I definitely think I made one huge stride, all in the course of one night that was all a result of a series of seemingly unfortunate events.

That's a great story. As you found, sometimes our worst problem is ourselves. I'm glad you had a pleasant first time out. I'd love to see a picture of your chemise.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Aliyah - you've related that story really well... what a way to get out inadvertently...!

And in your nightie too... Well - you are a braver girl than I, that's for sure...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Wow -- good for you! So often I've been on the road for work in hotels, dressing in the privacy of my room, never having the nerve to do what you did. Of course, usually I know work colleagues and acquaintances are also staying at the same place, and I don't need them to know THAT much about me

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Great story Aliyah and glad your adventure worked out well for you. You did a great job of turning a minor disaster into a major accomplishment after the initial panic. I think it demonstrates a couple of things that some of us CD’s have experienced as well:

The first thing is that when under the influence of the “pink fog”, like it appears you were when you went for the soda, we often are so distracted by the euphoria and freedom of self-expression that we do dumb things or make mistakes like losing our hotel key. I had a similar lost hotel key experience years ago when on a business trip after going out for a late night drive and walk. Except that I had managed to lose my entire wallet with ID, credit cards and a sizeable amount of travel cash. Moral of that experience for me was “be more careful”. I realized then, at least in my case, that the “pink fog” was not only powerful but it was a potentially dangerous thing and it could have been a lot worse experience. All was well for me the next day when someone found my wallet, contacted me and returned it intact.

The second thing is that in today’s world, at least in some localities, when we do go out in public for the first time it can be surprising and so liberating that some people are actually friendly and interested in engaging us in nice conversation while many others are content to just accept that we are what we are and not make a fuss. And when that happens we achieve that new level of confidence that will enable us to go out again. That’s not to say (or to mislead other people here) that things can go bad and sometimes people we come across might force a confrontation or even threaten violence against us. Has not happened to me yet but there are plenty of stories here that tell of unfriendly encounters.

Happy for you and thanks for sharing Aliyah!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

What a great story... Love the first time out and about. The heart races, time seems to stand still, walking takes on a whole new meaning....

Glad your disaster turned out to be a great adventure.....

Thanks for sharing.....

Renne......

I have SO left my wallet behind... I went out in drab from home, changed in a fast food restroom on the way to an overnight business trip in Boston. I got about 10 minutes down the road and realized I had a missing wallet, panicked, and returned to the parking lot, looked around, went into the (McDonalds!) found the wallet just outside the restroom door just where I left it! Somehow the nerves about the "real," the contents of the wallet, left the nerves about being en femme behind!
    Great story Aliyah!

Careful what you wish for. You just might get it. *giggle*. You did good! You turned the experience into a positive. You interacted with several people and maintained your composure even if you were churning inside.

For what it's worth once I get dressed I find I want to step out too. Just staying inside doesn't quite cut it does it?

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Gone to live my life
    Hi Aliyah . . . what a great story and the sequence of events . . . well I would be lying if I did not say they made me chuckle a bit Seriously though sweetie you handled the whole situation with poise and grace while wearing a nightie. Sometimes it takes an accidently outing to realize there may be a few rude stares and giggles but for the most part people tend to be congenial or are just too busy with their own lives to take any notice.

Hugs

Isha

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    That is an amazing series of events; as I was reading it I was thinking to myself, "left the key in the room.", and I was close in the prediction.
    You were just literally thrown into courage.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Great story, Aliyah!

Glad you were able to settle down after all the panic and relax! It's nice to be able to enjoy the moment!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Wow, great story had me panicked with you. I also thought it sounded like a Lucy episode. Glad it all worked out.

Thanks, gals! I think that one night really moved things forward. I'm back home now and already went on a couple adventures in LA where I know I'm safe but can still enjoy being my fem self.

I go to my local Merle Normans for makeovers abot five /six times a year and have never been caught there by anyone I know. That said I would not like to bee seen in a crowded place since I am a retired teacher and word would circulate in my small town. Keep doing your thing and congrats on your bravery.

Great story. Full of many obstacles which you got through. Good for you!

Great story, never know what going to happen.

To learn to fly a bird has to be pushed out of it's nest.

Did you feel like that?

I bet you did.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Great analogy. That's exactly how it felt. Fly or fall.