Thread: Pulled Over by a Polite Trooper

Pulled Over by a Polite Trooper

Since I was going to drive out of town for a day of shopping as Donna, I got fully dressed and made up but waited to put on my wig until I got out of my garage and neighborhood. Actually, I put on the wig and combed it out in a shopping center parking lot, just before getting on the expressway out of town. I guess I was still messing with my hair as I got on the Interstate so I didn't notice a cruiser pulled over to the side with the blue light flashing. I thought nothing of it and went on .... only to be pulled over myself within a mile.

I've had the same concern as many of you have, I'm sure, about being confronted by a cop while en femme. This Alabama trooper was very polite and professional. He asked me for my license, registration and insurance card and then told me how the law now requires drivers to move to the center lane and slow down when passing an emergency vehicle on the side. He told me to remain in the car and he went to his cruiser to write me up. After a good 10 minutes, he returned - this time to the passenger side of the car and he reached in and handed me my paperwork back, along with a ticket. He simply said, " Move over when you see blue lights! Have a great day, Ma'am!"

I could not have been more astonished! He not only did not mention my attire, he gave me a warning ticket and then he "ma'am ed" me! Obviously, he knew from my license that I am male (and don't really pass very well), but he chose to take the high ground. I considered it a tremendous compliment that he treated me as a woman!

It's really funny how so many of us get so overwhelmed by the fantasy of being "found out" in one situation or another. The world around us isn't as concerned about us as we think they are.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Great to hear this Donna (well not the part about you getting a ticket that is). CD's treated with respect by law enforcement in Alabama no less! This is progress girls. It hasn't been that many years ago that you would have had reason to be terrified by being pulled over almost anywhere in the south. Thanks for sharing,
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AKADonna View Post
    ... but he chose to take the high ground. I considered it a tremendous compliment that he treated me as a woman!
    says a lot about the officer. Times, they are a changing.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Yeah it's called diversity training cause lawsuits just make for bad publicity

I am so glad your experience was a good one. Sometimes we forget stuff that is new like the moving over when passing a stopped emergency vehicle. That is relatively new but important for first responder safety.

Edy

WOW! You just made my day with that story, not all but most policeman that I have run into seem like they want to be a hero. This policeman was a pure professional and hope its a new thing to come in the future. It's great for me because I am venturing out more and more, and the same as you I do a lot of dressing and undressing while I drive so it is a little easy to speed or drift on the road. I am very happy for you and hope it always like this in the future.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Donna . . . great story and thanks for sharing. It is nice when people treat us in the gender we are presenting.

Hugs

Isha

Good!

It is nice when those who serve us, serve *all* of us!

Awesome, sweetie!

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Platinum Member
    He was a professional and conducted himself as such. I think you'll find this to be true of the overwhelming majority of law enforcement professionals.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow, what a story. If that doesn't give you confidence, I'm not sure what will!

Wow! Another professional cop! I went through the same experience one Saturday night, at a small Wahington state coast town. I was shaking in my heels! But, he said it was not about the way i was dressed, and told me he was wondering why i was walking late at night, and my driving was nervous, and told me to go home and sleep!

Gold Member
    Never head anyone be so happy after getting a citation. Usually it is, "Some SOB cop pulled me over..."

You gotta kind of remember from their point of view - they would MUCH rather deal with a TG than some car load of thugs.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Silver Member
    Especially since he gave you a warning you may want to look into wheter you can put in a good word for him about his professional demeaner...Most people only file complaints.

The trooper was being a professional as he should be and most are. Law enforcement officers are more concerned about someone trying to kill them than someone dressing as another gender would. They want to go home to their families at the end of their shift. If you can, send a letter of praise to his superiors. It is so much nicer for them to get letters of praise instead of dealing with complaints.
    Deborah

My desire is to create an illusion that is a compliment to all women.
    It is meant to uphold and celebrate their presence and beauty.

Glade to hear you were treated with respect I hope this is a sign of the time changing for more acceptance of TG folks

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Always slow down and move over in the other lane when you can safely.

Banned Read only
    The trooper was there to enforce the law. He was acting professionally. Acting professionally does not equate to blind acceptance of cross dressing or same sex marriages. Personal bias does not belong in the work place, especially in government.

Indeed "times are changing" like Jennifer said. Cops I believe like to be appreciated by the public at least some (just like in any job), especially in the city where I live. If I were pulled over and treated like that I would send a thank you card to the officer, care of his department of just how much I appreciated his professionalism.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    That is an amazing encounter Donna.

There can never be to many good stories about

I like the story that Donna wrote about the Alabama trooper. Yes, times are changing but we still have to be careful so I carry ID card explaining my gender. If I get pulled over (so far I haven't), I hand that along with my drivers license.

-Ann

That heart wrenching fear just went out the window.
    Good for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.