Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough is enough... time for a change

Enough is enough... time for a change

So... After a long holiday weekend of indulging in BBQ and beer... Comes the reality of putting on the now very snug fitting work clothes and stepping on the scale... that is Monday morning. Admittedly I am no longer the person that you see in the avatar or profile pics. Since I took those pictures late last year just before joining the forum... I have probably put on about 20 lbs, which for someone who is only 5'6, is a lot. None of my femme clothes fit and not many of my guy clothes fit either. Well... Enough is enough... Time for a change! I'm going to turn it around starting today. No more weekends of overindulgence at restaurants and bars and time to get back in the gym. I am usually pretty good about working out regularly but it has just gotten away from me since last year. I am posting this as a way to hold myself accountable... For motivation and inspiration... And maybe there are others out there who would like to start with me today... It could be fun. I promise to keep updating this thread with my progress every week or two... and once a good 25 lbs come off... I promise to post new pictures... Hopefully in about 2-3 months. Nothing is more motivating than buying some new clothes and getting dolled up. Well... Wish me luck. =)

I'll cheerlead you from the sidelines!

My top 3 tips, try and break 2-3 big meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) into 4-5 smaller meals throughout the day.

When snacking on unhealthy stuff, eat with your non dominant hand.. you'll find your brain turned off from eating with the extra effort.

When plating food, use smaller plates for your portions, tricks the eye into seeing the plate as more full. You can try this with the same amount of pasta and 2 different size dishes, the larger dish will make you want to give yourself a bigger portion.

When I wanted to lose weight, I switched my diet to salads. I make a HUGE salad for dinner and that is my meal. Add some chicken strips and shredded white cheese for protein. I don't drink so beer and other alcohol was never the cause of gaining weight for me. By just switching to salads, I was able to lose nearly 30 pounds over 6 months without exercising. I got off of salads over the winter, because, frankly, its hard to eat cold salads in the winter. I needed hot food. But, I'm back on them now. I imagine I could lose even more if I combined the diet with exercise, but I'm unmotivated in that regard.

Good luck Vanessa!

Beer and BBQ are nice though, aren't they... I hear where you're coming from... I've got lazy too.. only need to get off maybe 8-10 lbs but that can be hard enough...

I had a crash diet several months back, just had a normal breakfast (muesli/cereal or bagel), decent lunch (always had a sensible sandwich -UK size! ) and cut out dinner completely. Drink plenty of water - good for detox and also reduces appetite.

I don't know about the fun though... but you need to get back to looking good for those photos.... We'll help your conscience...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. I definitely need to drink more water and eat more chicken salads... Which I love anyway. I for sure am going to give eating unhealthy snacks with the off hand a try... That sounds very interesting.

Just to be ABSOLUTELY clear, I hope you mean salads WITH chicken (not fried) and NOT chicken salad that is made with mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, which is extremely high in calories and quite fattening, not to mention is usually eaten on bread, which is, also, not what you want to be eating while dieting. And watch that "dressing", too. No, not your Crossdressing, but rather the dressing you choose for your salads. Most of it has a lot of fat and calories and the portions listed under the food facts are a joke, as most people use 10 times as much. I find red wine vinegar and olive oil to be the best.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-08-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

Lol... Thanks for making that clear Desirae. I know how easily cheese, dressing, oil, or other condiments can take a sandwich or salad from 200 calories to 1000.

Doh, you mean a bucket of fried chicken with a piece of lettuce on top isn't chicken salad?

It is if you have it with a diet coke. =)
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-08-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours

Are you turning over a new leaf?
    Good for you Vanessa.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yeah Beverly... My eating habits have gotten out of control, paired with the lack of exercise and here I am 20 lbs later. Its time for me to get to a weight where I feel more comfortable as Vanessa. Besides having to spend money on a whole new wardrobe... being this over weight causes me to not feel good about my transformation to Vanessa.

Good luck - I still need to drop about 25 lbs. Not easy to stay disciplined amidst high stress . Let's cheer each other on.

Silver Member
    Good luck, Vanessa. You can do it!

Too bad we can't organize a program or section on this site to help us get and stay in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee Elise View Post
    Good luck - I still need to drop about 25 lbs. Not easy to stay disciplined amidst high stress . Let's cheer each other on.
    Yeah... Let's do it Renee. I can't wait to get rid of this weight and spend a little more time as Vanessa.

MzVanessa,
    Best wishes. Eating vegies is a great way to lose weight.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Good luck, Vanessa. You can do it!

Too bad we can't organize a program or section on this site to help us get and stay in shape.
    That's a good idea Heather. At least through this thread I'll use it as a tool to keep me accountable, and I'll update my results. I invite others to join in if you have 5, 10, 20, or more you'd like to get rid of.

Good luck to you, for sure.
    My tips, for what they're worth; No soda, ever, get sugar out of your diet, reduce portion size - just put less on your plate, exercise, oh you've already mentioned that.
    Let us know how you go,

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

A good motivation for weight loss is to convert the target to dress sizes. Often concerted dieting and exercise may initially show no real change in weight while it may show in what you can fit into. I have lost 7 kgs (15 lbs) since Christmas. In terms of dress size I have dropped from a 20 to an 18. Target loss: Size 16

Yes I have to do the same and my wife too. Wine being our weakness. One tip I heard on a TV show. Don't drink diet soda thinking it will help. Apparently when the body tastes something sweet it expects sugar. If it doesn't get it then craving sets in and you end up snacking on something sweet.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I started a "Health & Wellness" thread to gain and share advice on dieting and exercising; I was hoping it could become a sticky or something. I believe it really helps when we not only want to be in better shape for ourselves, but also for our female appearance.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Good Luck Vanessa, I guess I too need to lose a bit more inches around the waist. Not where I want to be and the summer BBQ's and lack of exercise are not helping. Would like to lose 15 lbs myself... the problem is I tend to also lose weight from my behind which I don't like. I hate doing squats!

Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes. I know its all water weight since I was so bloated from beer and eating... But I'm down 4 lbs since Sunday night. I already feel a little better and the pants aren't as tight as yesterday morning... Good feeling to help keep me motivated.

I've gone down from 230 to 185; the only problem is that it took the better part of 5 years to accomplish, during which I must have lost several hundred lbs. and regained most of it. One of the difficulties is that I eat when stressed and/or depressed, something that has occurred often the last few years. This time I was sick in bed for the better part of a month and am just now starting to recover, so had little appetite. Although I am not that shiny of an example of dieting, I have acquired a few tricks:
    !. Eat slowly and take smaller bites; give your stomach enough time to let you know you're full.
    2. Keep portions small (works with the above).
    3. If you eat because "it's something to do", find something else that you enjoy doing and do that instead.
    4. Stay as hydrated as possible; one of my favorites is to make a pitcher of iced tea or coffee (make it strong) and chill it overnight in the refrigerator. I like mine plain, but a little lemon for the tea, artificial sweetener or 1% milk in the coffee can help the flavor for those that prefer it that way.
    5. If you must have sweets, then have them, but in very small servings (maximum of half of a normal serving eat slowly and savor it; this is not a speed eating contest!
    Last edited by donnalee; 07-09-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    nothing tastes as good as sexy feels.....and if there is a commercial for it on tv...you probably shouldnt eat it. Ever notice they dont have commercials for vegetables, or fruit...why is that???....and just because someone puts avacado on something does not make it healthy. I'm just yapping here...congrats though on deciding to make the right choices...and take care of yourself and your body and health...

"Nothing tastes as good as sexy feels"... I love that Adriana... And I will remember it next time I want to indulge on something I shouldnt on. Its funny because I was just at the bank and one of the girl who works there was looking very nice in a shorter but still professional skirt... Tights with a nice design... About 4 inch heels... Nice make and hair... And I just thought... She must feel amazing looking like that. No beer or burger could taste better than the way she felt looking so sexy and cute I have known that feeling and am determined to relive it again.