Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headline! Tranny Drives Bus Over Ex-Friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    Does anyone personally know anyone who has detransitioned??
    Yes. I worked with someone who transitioned a few years before me at my prior employer, and was quite surprised to hear that he had de-transitioned since I moved away. He had a relatively lengthy blog post on the subject citing medical reasons for doing so – discovering after a close call that he had a genetic heart condition and so HRT would almost certainly kill him. I haven't had a chance to chat with him in person since. His decision hasn't had any real impact on my life and I wish him well. We all need to find our way in this world and I'd think as a community we'd be sensitive about people making snap decisions about others following paths that are not our own.
    Last edited by Kimberly Kael; 07-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Is there some legal limit to the number of SRS each year? Is there some legal limit to the numbers of people taking HRT?

This is not a zero sum game, one person's gender issues should have no effect on the next person's. Those people who might choose to detransition have not done anything to affect all the rest of us, we've lost nothing. So it is rather presumptuous to stand in judgement over them however they end up expressing themselves. I vote for freedom not judgement.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Those that detransition for various reasons and take responsibility are not the problem. It is those that detransition and blame others for their failure. They spew hatred towards they blame for supporting transition. If they went about their lives privately taking responsibility, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Last edited by stefan37; 07-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Right..
    and when we respond to these selfish fools, we are viewed as judgmental and defensive

viewed medically it is quite common for people to have multiple conditions and have multiple treatment options that are impacted by their other issues... its quite common to eschew a helpful treatment for one condition because it raises risks from other issues.

.if somehow we could suck all the emotions out of transsexualism and transition (I know we cant), and view it correctly as a medical condition, there would be no issue with a person that needs to delay postpone or cancel transition because of other medical issues.. a person choosing to manage heart disease over transsexualism makes simple sense ...and if at some point she decides to deal with her transsexualism differently that would make sense too

Kaitelyn, right on, and we are all bozos on the bus of our existence. We didn't make the potholes nor are we driving the bus.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Walk a mile in their high heels before judging.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by celeste26 View Post
    Walk a mile in their high heels before judging.
    That is really just a bunch of permissive bs Celeste. Anyone who transitions walks exactly in the same shoes for more than a mile. Anyone who walks a mile in shoes that don't fit is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    ... Anyone who walks a mile in shoes that don't fit is an idiot.
    That's how they actually test for idiots now. Saves a lot of paper.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    Anyone who walks a mile in shoes that don't fit is an idiot.
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of transitioners walked a mile in shoes that didn't fit at one point or another. If they didn't learn anything from the experience you might have a point... Oh, wait, that was a metaphor? Never mind.

Back to the topic at hand: until you've come out to everyone and had a chance to relax into your preferred role it's all but impossible to anticipate exactly how it's all going to play out. Will you still have a rewarding career? A healthy relationship with your immediate family, including children? Health? People who are unwilling to reasses a decision in light of new information strike me as no less idiotic than those who jump in with little or no thought about what the risks are.

The one theme I have seen is that there seems to be more regret among those who go from denial to full transition extremely quickly. Sure, I know a few who did the six month fast track and have stuck with it, but even they tended to leave scorched earth in their wake in the form of relationships that never stood a chance. I think there's wisdom in the typical RLE timeline that does indeed help minimize mistakes and help people learn to adapt to their changing life.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Starling View Post
    That's how they actually test for idiots now. Saves a lot of paper.

Lallie
    Well they are failing miserably because there is one hell of a lot of idiots out there now days.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    Those that detransition for various reasons and take responsibility are not the problem. It is those that detransition and blame others for their failure. They spew hatred towards they blame for supporting transition. If they went about their lives privately taking responsibility, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Purposefully quoted in its entirety. Perfect summation.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    Well they are failing miserably because there is one hell of a lot of idiots out there now days.
    We can spot them, but what else can we do? Perhaps all of us geniuses here serve to average things out.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    What about the stories of the ones in the past who could not transition and just couldn't go on living. Who focuses on that?
    Everyone. The references to suicides are endless. Plus, it's very close to home to all too many of us.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-22-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Quote trimmed
    Lea

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I think that in the context of anti transition propaganda. Angela's question was valid. We hear about the ones who cheated the system (Charles Kane et al) but we never hear from those who were driven to suicide.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-22-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Dysslexic keyboard
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Rianna and Angela, we mourn those every day.

Kimberley, I don't think that anyone would ever walk the metaphorical mile if the shoes weren't at least workable....

Banned Read only
    Actually the link provided does nothing more than "link" to sources found on Lyn Conway's site. I am interested what it is that "trust" has to do with the validity of the links. Surely readers here can draw their own conclusions about what is being "perpetuated" by those who shared their own painful experiences. I would also be interested in your thoughts on the Penner/Daniels tragedy.

no way..

Who are you? Why are you here? What are your thoughts on Christine Penner?
    What was your conclusion about Ms Conway's collection of stories??

Seems like you only like stirring pots and not really putting anything meaningful in yourself

I will say this...some transsexuals regret their "decision"
    ... if you are transitioning you should be aware that its possible you will regret it... what is so hard to understand about that....invest a lot, risk a lot....if you lose, lose a lot...

However, the vast majority of people that transition well end up thriving as people...that's not hard to understand either...

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SassySal View Post
    ... Surely readers here can draw their own conclusions about what is being "perpetuated" by those who shared their own painful experiences. I would also be interested in your thoughts on the Penner/Daniels tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    no way..
    Oh, I'll take it up. I would sort these out as follows along the general lines of the OP.
    Rene Richards - Not applicable! As Rianna said, Lynn's site perpetuates Rene's regret myth, if unintentionally.

Dani Berry - My category 3 best fits. She was, by her own admission, more an intense CD and an autogynephile. A TG (i.e., not TS) transitioner with clear, life-long gender conflicts. My bells go off about the applicability of the spectrum concept here.

Sandra MacDougall - Category 3 again. Lynn's conclusion is that she is an intense CD, autogynephiliac, and seems to focus regret on sexual issues first and social issues second. TG transitioner again.

Samantha/Charles Kane - You're kidding, right? I CITED Kane as my category 1 example and a bunch of others cheerfully tossed him under the bus in this thread also.

None of these are TS transition regretters (Rene is TS but did NOT regret her transition).

Not so hard, was it? Their own words tend to almost make them self-sort. Just about everyone in this thread has had no problem expressing their views on transition regret and detransitioners. Except you, Sal. Are you willing to post yours here and now or not?

Just for ya-yas, I'll pile on some additional opinions of my own as they bear on regret and detransition risk. This is from a pre-transition perspective, so please keep that in mind. Some of this is pretty obvious stuff, but bears repeating.

. Misplaced priorities are a source of regret. High risk of outright regret or, minimally, ongoing conflicts, manifest when the alternative priorities inevitably make their entrance. Intense crossdressing is a typical driver. It's real, it is intense, it is a priority. And intense CDs that transition are asking for it ...

. Self-delusion is a source of regret. Dawn inevitably breaks. Regret is a certainty. A competent therapist plays a key role here (a point you - Sal - made yourself elsewhere). This is a topic worthy of its own thread, as it segues rapidly into spectrum concepts, the role of a therapist in TS vs TG gender clients, misunderstandings of psych practice and concepts, and some community culpability (as I see it) for undermining the role.

. Sexual motivation is a minefield for regret. I believe Kaitlyn is correct in her frequent assertion that sexual manifestations of GD (my phrase) is not the same phenomenon as sexual motivation, alternatively, that one can truly be TS and need to transition despite sexual issues. That sex (including autogynephilia) is the primary driver for many regretters, however, is obvious. Lack of honesty is probably a more applicable concept here than self-delusion, but it doesn't help that sex is a culturally charged subject, which probably leads to hiding and minimizing.

. The distinction between TS and non-TS regretters is a critical point of the OP. Whatever the need a non-TS may have for transition, it is NOT congruence. Do I need to judge the non-TS whose transitions fail (a troubling point to many responders)? From the standpoint of clarifying congruence need for TS and *thereby* making the ongoing case for transition medical support, YES. Are some cases tragic and sympathetic? Sure, but keep in mind that the regretters and detransitioners themselves are the ones typically making the points! THEY think the lesson more important than sympathy, even to the point of throwing themselves under the bus! (My category 1 types blame everyone else, but they are the minority.) A secondary point is that the advice and support that TS can and should offer should be based on the difference. It usually is, and is common to see remarks prefaced with "IF you are TS ..."

. Isolation increases risk. Online "support" only or primarily IS a form of isolation. TSs stress reality. IF you think you might be TS, one of your first orders of business is to meet TSs in the real world.

. Every step on the path affords additional insight and the opportunity to stop. There is much that could be said here. I'm going to focus on self-responsibility. Like many, I believe the path is heavily self-correcting, which is manifest in the low regret rates. As a result, I also believe there is an ever-increasing level of personal responsibility as one continues down the path. Most TS accept this as a matter of course and would have it no other way. It also puts the burden of transition failure squarely on the detransitioner, whatever others' contributions along the way.
    Lea

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SassySal View Post
    I am interested what it is that "trust" has to do with the validity of the links.
    Its you I don't trust because you don't put out any information about who you are, what your OWN views or experiences are, or about why you are here.

There is a huge difference between the idea of personal responsibility and the consequences of actions relative to this huge decision as compared to the political and agenda driven desire people have to attack transition as something that is valuable..

Bashing transition just because some people regret it is an agenda... drugs and treatments come with warning labels...sometimes the labels are really long and scary..meds can have fatal side effects and yet people take them...

Silver Member
    Drug side-effects - good comparison. Of course, some don't believe in some of THOSE, either! Particularly psych meds. Depression not being REAL, after all ...
    Lea

While I am aware of Michael/Christine Penner/Daniels there is really not much information that would address his return to the byline Mike Penner in October of 2008. There is one quote from him though that I find interesting and may very well have summarized his initial decision to transition: "I just have to find out about this. I don't want to die without knowing — without knowing if this is really me."

If you take him at his word then it is sad that he transitioned in the first place. It is even more sad that he de-transitioned in October 2008. It is unquestionably tragic that he killed himself in 2009 because he was unable to live with his actions and how the views of others impacted him.

Most importantly in the context of this conversation however is the fact that he did not attack those that are transsexual or gender variant. And he had in all this tragedy agency of his life.

One point to get out of the way first: I believe Kaitlyn said "no way," because she didn't feel like sharing her personal beliefs with someone who revealed nothing about their own. I certainly can't argue with that.

Now, in the interest of clarity: my understanding from reading a lot about the Michael/Christine situation in local media is that Christine deeply regretted the loss of her previous life--especially the love and cohabitation of her wife--and detransitioned in hopes of salvaging it. Once having done that, she found it was impossible to return to the status quo ante; she failed to regain the relationships and status she had sacrificed. The fact that she had been so public in her transition, she felt, exposed her to the whole world as a failure and a fool.

Her tragedy was that she knew she was a woman, and could never again feel good as a man. The losses she experienced in transition, followed by her failure to recoup them by turning back, made her too despondent to carry on. Better counseling might have helped her prepare for the difficulties ahead, but as many here have said, you can't predict how a million variables might affect the future.

In my own life as a stalled transitioner, I know that I have lost the regard of some I came out to, especially as I vacillated. My wife, in particular, can never look at me the way she once did. I live in the worst of both worlds, as she also outed me to close family members, my in-laws and old friends I hadn't told. I had a huge, double loss--and I didn't even "alert the media." So there's really something to be said for pressing on, regardless, if you possibly can, if there is going to be regret at the other end no matter what you do. At least you get to live as a woman, with or without surgery and HRT if need be.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Kael View Post
    Back to the topic at hand: until you've come out to everyone and had a chance to relax into your preferred role it's all but impossible to anticipate exactly how it's all going to play out. Will you still have a rewarding career? A healthy relationship with your immediate family, including children? Health? People who are unwilling to reasses a decision in light of new information strike me as no less idiotic than those who jump in with little or no thought about what the risks are.
    Kimberley my point has always been that those things should be thought about and assessed BEFORE you transition. I mean, should you not have talked to all that matter before you take this step and then assess if you can survive without them if you need to. Should you not know before hand what health risk you purchase with your hormone therapy? Should you not assess whether your career can sustain itself if you transition? And finally should you not make a clear and naked assessment of your capacity to sustain all of this through the process.

What NEW information would come to light if you have prepared for all of this the way I think everyone should?

And Starling, this is the issue with Mike Penner. Did he not talk to his spouse beforehand and if he did what unreasonable expectations would he have had after this disclosure and apparent blindness to the fundamental paradigm shift that occurs when a husband becomes a wife? I know exactly the kind of lies we tend to tell ourselves talking "our chances" of making it through unscathed up, and up. So when someone tells you what's going to happen and you think you will be the exception you better make damn sure you have in fact unequivocally covered all the bases in triplicate and KNOW what is coming down the pike. I could not guarantee the success of my transition but I was f*cking ready for everything and was ready to make it through no matter what I was faced with.

It upsets me when someone uses the meme of "preferred role". It sounds like a serious lack of gravity and responsibility. I have never had a preferred role - I was a girl and then a woman. There is no chimera of gender which is just another lie in your biographical pocketbook. Gender never reflects the nature of the human being but simply monkeys around with cultural constructs that have no inherent value other than to diminish.

Banned Read only

Red face

LeaP

Lots of good points here. What I find f interest is that you can make that obvious judgment that there exists a perceptible difference between the 'phenomenon' of TG-ism and the narrowly definable medical condition known as TS-ism. So far this has been a third rail for me resulting in negative consequences.

As for earning your trust....why should you trust me? I could be anybody making up stories and experiences at will. why would you choose to believe anything I have to say when it is more than obvious that nobody here likes or believes anything I have to say.

Anyway...just for the sake of this discussion, you can assume that I had my SRS many years ago and I did not suffer from any or all of that discrimination, confusion, bigotry, hatred, family problems of job losses, that is such a popular topic on these "woe is me" *support* forums.

Why am I here? Simple. I am here to offer a contrasting perspective to all the over-rationalization, and self-defeating, "victim-oriented" group think. I have been encouraged that despite all the animus directed towards me, it is obvious that my message is getting through despite it being an unpopular one
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 07-23-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: do not quote whole posts like that again and multiposting isn't allowed either