Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were you destined to become a crossdresser?

Complex Lolita...

Were you destined to become a crossdresser?

Do you believe in destiny? I don’t. Not one little bit. But, do YOU think you were destined to become a MtF crossdresser? Is crossdressing your ultimate fate, doom, lot, fortune or destination? Do you feel it was inevitable, or an inevitable necessity? You tell me…

Was it predetermined that you would end up this way? I don’t see how that can happen, but others insist that there is a fixed order of things established either by a divine decree or by an indissoluble connection of causes and effects. On this site, and in this section, we can discuss the latter and not the former, so please keep that in mind…

Things happen, and that’s why I became a crossdresser, why I remain a crossdresser, and why I’m on this site dumping these little CD missives in front of everyone. Am I destined to become a writer? No. Am I destined to keep wasting my time like this? No. That is a choice I’ve made, one in a series of choices that have led me to this place, this existence, and this state of mind. I am the master of my own destiny, just like you are…

Things are not predetermined, IMHO. Instead, things are self-determined, meaning you reach a decision about something after thought and investigation. It may be genetic, but in my case, and for many of is, we decided to crossdress. You can direct your own life, and steer your own destiny – the ultimate destination is unknown, but the journey is rewarding in the extreme…

I suppose I subscribe to the existentialist view that I exist as an individual in a purposeless universe, and that I must oppose my hostile environment by exercising my own free will. There is no doubt that I crossdress to oppose the world around me, by doing something I’m not supposed to be doing, a free choice I made. I called my own shots and came up with this. There’s nobody to blame, nobody telling me what I can or cannot do, and nobody pulling my strings in a predetermined manner – I just WANTED to crossdress…

Of course, I was predisposed to crossdress, for a myriad of reasons and situations I have already discussed ad nauseum. As such, I don’t believe in fate, meaning I don’t believe it was inevitable that I became a crossdresser. It just happened, much like my conception just happened, my place in the world just happened, and my convoluted journey from point A to point B just happened, and is still happening. There’s a fork in the road up ahead, and nobody is telling me which path to take – I wouldn’t let that happen you know…

So, I take responsibility for my crossdressing. It’s not fate, not destiny, and not inevitable. I could be doing something else, but I chose THIS road. I should add that, in my case, I don’t believe in CD manifest destiny, i.e. going completely from male to female. I determined a long time ago that I’m not transgendered, even though everyone insists I must be. No, I stand alone, just an ordinary MtF crossdresser, my skirt blowing in the wind atop this here plateau. I was quite a climb to get here, but I’m glad I made the effort…

Oops…wait a minute…incoming call…

Guess what? That was NOT destiny calling…

There were no specifics or details involved as they are mostly determined by personal choices. It was agreed, however, that I would become a full spectrum person.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    I do suspect that there is a predisposition at the very least. I see myself as TG. CDing is a way that I have expressed that identity since early childhood. Nothing in my early life lead me to this, actually, the facts of my life would simply not fit with the inner sense of a mixed gender. No pivotal moment caused it, and if anything for most of my life I tried to suppress the desire.

I will take responsibility for accepting who I am and what I am, and in doing so, no longer feel the shame or the obligation to deny myself.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I believe that a large percentage of girls on this forum were destined to become CDs - that some of you were born with an identity that's predominantly male, but a need to express femininity that is simply beyond your ability to completely control.

I think it's largely biological in origin and therefore destiny of a sort.

Many of us on this forum would've chosen not to be CDs if we could have. I'd personally have stopped in a New York minute if I could have. The cycle of purges most of us experience suggest that this behavior is beyond our control.

While I don't believe in destiny, I do think there might be genetic factors that make us predispositioned to crossdressing. The generation before me (my parents) had a much larger social stigma than we do (as hard as it is to believe) and there are a lot of markers for crossdressing, such as taking up dangerous, male oriented professions (example: Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, football, etc) as a method to deny what we're feeling inside.

Mind you, I am NOT saying "anyone who plays football is a crossdresser" - balderdash! Although... it would explain the 'yoga pants' they all wear... <snicker>

Anyway:

My father was a Marine, and my mother once confided in me (long after he died) that she suspected he wore her underclothes under his uniforms. She never caught him, but she would have things that would go missing and then suddenly reappear much later on - in the clothes hamper, after she'd done a few loads of laundry and so forth. She thought maybe she was just misplacing them but started tracking it and sure enough, things would simply "disappear" when Dad went out on maneuvers and then reappear when he returned. Waaaaaay too much coincidence there.

Since that little "revelation" about my father, I've often wondered if there was some sort of genetic thing going on here. I know I'm not alone in being a crossdresser who had a father that probably dressed (on the sly), so that really makes me wonder. I never saw him dressing - no "leading by example" there, and he always exhibited the hyper-macho male attitude to everyone, and I wonder now if that was just him hiding his other self. Obviously there haven't been a lot of conclusive studies on this, not too many men who were born in the 1930s are going fess up that they dress - either in private or public.

Not a lot of men TODAY will come straight out and fess up either. A few, sure. But not the majority. In fact until we find forums like this, most of us think we're all alone in the world, and online groups were not available back in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and most of the 70s.

~Mel
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Frédérique,
    You are thinking too hard again.

I was destined to become rich and famous.

My destiny still awaits me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

so you are arguing free will over fate over karma?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    Just to keep you thinking...

There is an unusual prevalence of cross-dressing among children with Asperger's. Do you really think they were not predisposed toward cross-dressing?

Patients with Parkinson's are sometimes given medication to increase their level of dopamine (a neurotransmitter) and help control their muscles. Some of these patients have develop cross-dressing as a result of this treatment. When the medication is stopped, their cross-dressing stops. Do you believe they really decided to cross-dress on their own initiative?

When a cross-dresser wears women's clothing he experiences sensations such as; well-being, comfort, pleasure, gratification and bonding. Some people think these sensations are just imagined, that we are just fooling ourselves. If they are real (and I am sure they are), then they must be caused by neural connections in our brain. These sensations are also identical with the "contact with a female" response of the brain, and science has well documented this response. So it may well be that our brains are hard-wired to interpret cross-dressing as actual contact with a female - a sort of synesthesia.

Most likely cross-dressing does not have a simple cause, but combines biology (the hard-wiring of our brains), psychology (female envy), and some sort of trigger mechanism. I don't believe we have no control over our cross-dressing. We can stop for a while, we can limit our cross-dressing. However, cross-dressing still makes us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I was destined to become rich and famous.

My destiny still awaits me.
    Mine too, but I just want the rich part. Being famous quickly leads to being infamous.

Many seeds lie dormant for years until conditions are just right for them to germinate. I think that describes my situation. Given other circumstances I might have reached the end of my days without having the need to explore this side of myself become stronger than my other responsbilities.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I think that things happened in my very early childhood (subtle things, like something I saw, not a mom putting me in a dress, etc.). My brain got wired a certain way, and my life has been about reinforcing those connections.

I believe being trans in some degree is genetically predisposed, and how one handles that predisposition is one's destiny.
    DonnaT

I feel that when we all are in the womb, that things happen there. Everyone starts out the same way. Depending on the chromosomes we are born female or male or inter-sexed. the next step decides if we are going to think as a woman, man, or both. the last step decides if we will love a man, woman, or both.
    Marilyn Monroe says "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it".
    and I wish I was born a woman

Frederique, you have such deep and thought provoking posts. I wish I knew the answer to why I crossdress and of course I embrace crossdressing so much. I do take responsibility for my actions, but I am so drawn to it. I do not feel that I have a choice to discontinue crossdressing; it is certainly imprinted upon my personality.
    Love, Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    so you are arguing free will over fate over karma?
    I have seen to many times that the "fate" of anyone is set in place by one or more of their own actions sometimes forced and by far their own choices, fate is simply the end results. And as far as Karma goes it is a nice way of saying "what goes around comes around" and that is as far as it goes because a lot of times we know that just aint true. So no I wasn't destined to CD but I did chose to and now it has become my destiny, I don't realy want to change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I started dressing before the age of 6. For some reason I was fascinated in my mothers clothes and jewelry, and I tried them on as often as I could. I remember many times putting on her bra and panties, over top of my little boy clothes, and going off to play.
    So I don't think it was outside forces, but a genetic disposition to be this way. My teens were very confusing, but now I am very happy about this aspect of my life.
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    I don't believe we have no control over our cross-dressing. We can stop for a while, we can limit our cross-dressing. However, cross-dressing still makes us happy.
    For some of us, and I'm intentionally not speaking for ALL of us because I can't, we can stop cross dressing just as easily as we can stop eating and drinking. "We can stop for a while, we can limit..." our eating and drinking. And for some of us, stopping dressing is just as destructive in the long run as stopping eating and drinking.

I, too, stopped for long periods of time - when I was deployed to war zones, when my daughter (who knows but does not want to see it) visits for months, etc. But the longer I go, the more some ... destructive behavior starts to creep back into my life. Like alcohol, for example. I 'can' go about as long as one year now without dressing, but that's about my limit. And for me, it's like trying to force a trout to breathe air.

I can't explain it, I just know this is how I feel. And I doubt very seriously that I'm alone in this. My eyes were opened a few years ago to the fact that I am not alone anymore, that there are other people out there who feel exactly as I do in many respects.

It's not a matter of "making us happy" like seeing a good movie is or watching your daughter graduate from college. It is NOT the same thing. To me, saying that trivializes what happens when we dress.

For some of us, it really is a need. And when deprived, we go into deep depression.

Don't ask me to explain it. If I could, I'd be insanely rich.

~Mel
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Just one more attempt to find 'the one true reason why we crossdress'. And it's going to fail, again. Sexuality, sexual preference, and gender are all on separate bell curves, in every combination. Some are at one end, some are at the other, the rest are somewhere along the middle. The causes are many, and varied; I suspect more different combinations of causes than most here can imagine.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

The one thing we all share in common is that there is a single point in our lives that drove us to put on a piece of women's clothing. The exact circumstances of that moment are quite varied and complex. I have to think that on an order of magnitude there are more males who tried it one time out of curiosity and never did it another time. But for the rest of us, the lure just never went away.

As a boy, I was attracted to my mom's legs in nylons, skirts, shoes. Also, attracted to tall women teachers in grade school. And, also the dresses some teachers wore. There really was a time women techers wore dresses! I know, some look good in slacks, also. But, i always wondered what nylons would feel like. At age 14, i "borrowed" my mom's hose, and sister's hose, and one dress. I did it about ten times, felt so guilty, I quit, for decades, but occasionally would order pantyhose by mail order. Finally bought a dress and all the rest, in 2005. I really think it is part fetish, part heredity.

Banned Read only
    ANY male, whether he waters at this site or any of those [hundreds of?] other CDing sites becomes destined to become a CDer once he has that first O while "dressed".

And IF he goes on to have a few more trips [or a few hundred or a few thousand] to Oville while dressed? He is now likely ADDICTED forever. Our brains simply are NOT going to forget that ASSOCIATION and will from that period forward always release just enough "feel good" chemicals to make CDing enJOYyable. This is widely documented by the vast majority of the "older" members here that no longer enjoy visiting Oville. Almost w/o exception, most still report getting some form of high from merely being/staying dressed. It's a MAN'S most basic programming to "release the hounds" as often as possible to as many females as possible. Our male brains don't know or care where the hounds go. We get a nice 7 second or so reward EVERY time we release them. It's our VISION that enables this which is why CDers just luvvvv flats and granny dresses and why there are so many threads and pics about them. Who needs heels or hose when you can wear granny dresses and flats?

Of course there ARE folks born in the wrong bodies. Just not very many. And I once dated a nurse, who had worked at All Children's Hospital for many years and told me that "more kids are born as hermaphrodites than most people realize". Parents are obviously quite capable of making the "wrong" choice when they make those decisions. That was 10 years ago. Perhaps there are better ways now to decide? Perhaps some of the members here were born as hermaphrodites? Would there be any reason for their parents to ever tell them?

But even if we disregard all those other sites, I think this very site alone, post enough FACTS in enough places to make it pretty obvious that most became ADDICTED to CDing while in their teens.

Of course if none of this ^^^ applies to a member, they are likely to have transitioned or be on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    And IF he goes on to have a few more trips [or a few hundred or a few thousand] to Oville while dressed? He is now likely ADDICTED forever. Our brains simply are NOT going to forget that ASSOCIATION and will from that period forward always release just enough "feel good" chemicals to make CDing enJOYyable. <snip>
    And of course, it doesn't have to be sexual. One can wind up associating anything with being dressed as a girl, and wind up forever linking the two feelings. Mine wasn't sex, as I was too young....it was simply physical touch, the affection that I wasn't getting anywhere else. And another crossdresser was created.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I think this is as preordained as the colour of my eyes, whatever natural degree of intelligence I was born with or a pre-disposition to diabetes or MS (sadly for those who develop any sort of awful condition...).

You may choose to be an existentialist, but you can't will away something that is pre-programmed genetically...

The belief that free-will trumps an otherwise purposeless existence is the province of a bunch of hedonistic, wine-swilling, garlic-crunching intellectuals and academics who developed a philosophy to support their own indolent and bohemian lifestyle... you can use it to justify anything you want it to, regarding your own motivations...

In any case, you're all just a figment of my imagination although why I'd want to come up with such an odd gathering of folk, goodness knows... at least you're all fairly friendly...

Oh - and you can stand on a table and pronounce that you're a table lamp as long as you like, you'll still be what you are to the rest of the world...

And Wild... speak for yourself...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I was first dressed at a very early age. From that time on my sexual exploration and growth was via cross dressing. I was fascinated by females; their clothes, smell and the things they did. I never enjoyed group sports and took up solo sport.
    Why I was like this is still a mystery. Was it nature or nurture or some complex interplay of the two. Was it fate? I don't know and I have no idea how to answer the question in any definitive way.

To reply to Wildaboutheels' view, if indeed the most powerful of positive reinforcements cements the bond with dressing, how is it that hetero sex, occurring with much higher frequency with most of us, doesn't cancel out the CD influence? My view on this is really complicated by the fact that my very first O was wearing my mother's undergarments so I can't truly be unbiased. Add to this that I've gone through periods of many years when I didn't dress, so without the constant reinforcement why didn't the urge simply wain?

I used to have dreams when i was very young and way before i started crossdressing and of course they were about cding .Years later there are 2 that i still remember clearly and for the most part i can not remember what i dreamed about 10 mins after i wake up .So for me it seems like something was already there .It was like a switch turning on , one day i could care less about womens cloths the next i was obsessed about them and started cding and have not stopped since
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo