Thread: First Session With VA Therapist

First Session With VA Therapist

What a wonderful hour I spent with this lovely woman! She instantly put me at ease, and we just seemed to chat away. I was telling her secrets that I never told anyone! And a few stories that had us both laughing. She asked questions in such a way that I was eager to answer. She asked about my goals, when do I plan to do the name change and begin RLE. I told her that I want to do that the end of this year, or the beginning ot next year. She agreed with my plan, and wants to help me keep it.
    My homework assignment is a little tough, though. I have to determine where I'm at on the scale between "Totally Straight" and "Totally Gay". I was a little surprised by this, but she said that I've indicated that I'm a bit confused, and need to face the reality of my sexuality. This exercise is totally for my enlightenment and may free me from some hangups.

After nine months on HRT, I've finally found a gatekeeper that I like and trust! Even with the odd homework...

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Sounds like you're on your way. Good luck girl.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Your therapist could be mine's sister. So glad you have found one you are comfortable with. It will only get better as time goes by.

Bobbi

The VA is the best, and of course it can be the worst. I live in the Palo Alto VA district and their facilities and staff are on a par with Stanford Hospital next door.

I had my first visit with an internist last August and in one session was diagnosed with GID. I was given Finesteride as a precursor to full HRT. At the time I had a private therapist who I have had very good luck with, but I am getting to the point of not being able to afford the $500/mo.

I am scheduled for another visit in August and I have a recommendation for a VA therapist that I hope I can get a referral to. With luck my referral will be as good as the one you hooked up with.

I think the actual medical/psyche help at the VA stands next to few. It is mostly an administration problem that everyone hears about. Even the decrepit conditions at the Walter Reed VA hospital were an admin problem and not a doctor problem.

Also, if you were an in-country Vietnam Vet, make sure you let them know you may have been exposed to Agent Orange - you'll get expedited and elevated assistance. Even Vets that were in the Navy, like myself, who were within 30 miles of the shore qualify for exposure to AO.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    So how does this work if you do have med insurance with a job but you are a vet, do you just call to make an appt and state your concerns, etc or ??? I have read the stories here of those who visit the VA for therapy/treatment but I wouldn't know where to begin or if I can..just to see where my head is..or am I required to use my private doc first to be referred? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

I am glad to hear of the good experiences with the service, even if the negative stories exists on management of the system.
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Miki is 100% correct on the VA problems being Admin related. I have never had anything but praise for the medical/psyc folks, or the support staff. Admin is controlled by the Fed Gov't and they refuse to go against congress. I have given up butting heads with admin and threw in the towel, for the time being. I will figure out a new approach eventually.
    Marissa, start by getting a "prime" doctor. Let her know your intentions and she will refer you to a therapist. If you're not comfortable with them at any time, you can request a different Professional. Good luck.

Bobbi
    Last edited by BOBBI G.; 07-12-2014 at 05:12 AM.

Marissa, Go to www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll to get started. I have health insurance through my employer, but the plan won't touch anything dealing with TG, TS, GD, or anything else dealing with us. For all other care, the VA charges the insurace co., then covers the rest. Oh, you can apply by phone, the number is in the link .

The VA won't do the various surgeries, ie, SRS, FFS, BA, but they do cover and do post surgical care. This I found out this week.

Good luck,

Leah

Moderators; I hope I'm not violating any rules. I just want to point the direction to a sister...Thanks
    Last edited by Nigella; 07-12-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: edited to remove number
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Thank you Bobbi and Leah for the information
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Marissa

There is a hierarchy of services provided to Vets and the highest priority goes to in-country combat vets of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Iraq & Afghanistan OEF/OIF/OND. Also, if you were possibly exposed to toxic materials in-country such as Agent Orange or the Burn Pits, you are at a higher priority.

Also, your current employment status and income has a bearing on how you are classified. BUT, in any case, you are covered to some extent.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.