Thread: Wanting to go public

Wanting to go public

So i have been recently wanting to go public! but im really afraid too still.. i still get extremely nervous and my girlfriend when i dress up. But i have always wanted to go out full en femme and spend the day as a girl. It has been a fantasy of mine since i first started dressing up. Any stories or experience to help me figure out what its like? thank you!!!

Banned Read only
    Mia, going out is so much easier than you think. We build our own walls. Getting through the door the first time is a challenge but it's worth it.

Mia,
    Do things like walking around the back yard first.
    Then to the front gate, the corner, forget that your mother told you that you could go outside and not cross the road and the support of your girlfriend will help immensley.
    Remember small steps first.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    It is not uncommon for people to start by going out and taking a quick walk in an area with few people, and from there move on to going to a gas station (pay at the pump) and then to a late-night convenience store.

For the first "serious" outing, many people go to another town or city if practical. Some people never dress in public in their own town.

I was very much the exception: the first time I dressed in public, I went to the largest (or perhaps second largest) mall in the city, early on a Thursday evening (not peak time but also not abandoned.)

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    My very first time out was to the post office near 11 PM; it was a rush!
    Like others have said: start out small as you feel comfortable with, then expand.
    My first time out where people were around was solo to Fred Meyers to try on some shoes.
    My outing experiences are limited since I've never been out to more than once place at a time at night. I have yet to venture out in the daytime. My wife has seen me fully dressed up, but is not yet ready to venture out in public with me dolled up.

Take small steps as you need, you'll get it!
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    something tells me you will....and if you dont...you are missing out . Be safe, be smart, dress the part ( not like a hooker) and pick a safe place, like a support group or something like that, just dont be one of those gals who goes ou t walking in the park alone at 2 am. Even if you go out and do one of those " got in my car and hit the drive thru" missions...at least you broke your cherry...which should be your first goal. Whats the phrase?? The harderst part is the first 10 feet???...something like that....I will have to check the crossdresser handbook again...

We can talk until we are blue in the face but can't get a feel for the "water" unless we dive in my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Take a few photos. Post them on Facebook. Be sure your friends and family see them and hear all about them. Maybe put an ad in the local paper or on television. Then you'll see what it's really like to be out there.

The reactions of others are many and varied. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. No one can tell you what you will face and you won't ever know until you do what all of those of us who are out did - get out there and be you.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Quote Originally Posted by Emi_ View Post
    Take a few photos. Post them on Facebook. Be sure your friends and family see them and hear all about them. Maybe put an ad in the local paper or on television. Then you'll see what it's really like to be out there.

The reactions of others are many and varied. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. No one can tell you what you will face and you won't ever know until you do what all of those of us who are out did - get out there and be you.
    I don't think this is very helpful there is a big difference between coming out and going out

Coming out is telling all those you know family friends etc but only when they need to know

Going out is about getting dressed correctly for the occasion and get out and about with a friend if possible.

Choose where you want to go the first time out.

it may just be a drive or a visit to a town you don't know.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

As long as you look 1/2 decent then you'll do just fine. Now that I've been out so many times I never dress at home and do nothing like before.

Hello Mia,

I did not have the nerve to dress all the way till a month ago. Today was my first time in public and I had to have a glass of wine first. I went with a guy friend to a small store to just look around. I was so scared but it helped having him with me. I got there and walked in and no one other than a few guys looked at me. I dressed conservatively not to heavy on the make up and acted like I belonged. I got so nervous inside my friend acted like he was my bf and held my hand and had his arm around me till I realized no one even noticed I was a gurl. I don't expect you to get a guy friend to help you but after it was done I felt so brave and proud that I did it. Next I will try a place a little busier. One guy in the store flirted with me but I just smiled and moved on. My friend said as we left "I don't even think they have you a second look. Also in the end I realized I didn't care what they thought as long as they didn't make weird comments or looks but it was about me and my self esteem as Ashley wray. It's interesting when your a guy you take it for granted but when you can pull off a completely different spectrum it really tells how diverse we can be. Even if they can tell and don't say anything you still did it and will feel proud that you made another small step. But read the post on cd mistakes first nice quick tips there so you don't miss a small detail and be embarrassed when you get where your first stop will be. Good luck!

Careful I bite <3
    Just stay safe!

As most people said it's easier to take one step at a time, but you never know how far you can make it until you try.

Go to places where it's common to see people walking around. In most cases people will be busy enough doing their thing that they won't look too carefully at you.

Oh girl, I was like that in the beginning of my dressing where I constantly ponder about going out in public. And one day I did, small steps at first like taking out the trash at my parent's old townhouse then going around the block. Then I as I improved my wardrobe and makeup, I went for a drive and eventually I was stopping to go browse stores, go to the atm, and even purchase items in stores while dressed. I was afraid and still am. Sometimes I would arrive at a location but chicken out and go home and there are instances where I just swing that door open and walk in. A few times I droved away only to end up back in the same place and finally walking in. I've gone out during the day and night and I've sported different looks.

I encourage you to do it, I recommend it. You never know until you try and you will only get to live this life once, so please live the way you want it. You really don't want to lay in your deathbed one day and regret not taking the opportunity when you had it.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    The more you ponder and worry the more walls you are putting up.
    Get dressed up and go to a park or something in the daytime of course and spread your wings a little.Take a book or pack a lunch and sit on a bench and enjoy.
    Small steps is pretty much the rule until you get comfy enough to go other places.
    Please dress appropriately for where you go,you want to blend in and not stand out too much.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-13-2014 at 11:29 AM.

I wish I could do that right now, but reading you all I feel like I must try it sometimes tomorrow. I just want to fly out!!!!