Thread: Hello from Hazel > moving to Dallas yeahhhhhhh

Hello from Hazel > moving to Dallas yeahhhhhhh

Hello everyone,

My name is Hazel and I rediscovered my passion for crossdressing after a long pause. I got a new job in Dallas and will be moving there very soon. Since I feel like a newbie, I need some assistance from people going out in public well dressed. I hope I will be welcome.

I am trying to put a picture in my profile picture but no matter how many times I tried it doesnt upload my picture, am I doing something wrong? the picture meets all the minimum requirements though.
    Last edited by hazel; 07-13-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Gee... perfect timing. DFW just had their first 100+ degree day today!

Jenny

Is your picture meeting the MAXIMUM requirements?
    Follow the bouncing ball and make it smaller in pixel size, then work your way up.
    The only thing I know about Dallas is that there is a book depositry there.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Wwlcome to Dallas. Dallas from my perspective is a pretty TG/Cd friendly place. The Uptown area is very open and accepting with many GLBTG persons living in it (just north of the Downtown area). There are many places you can go just as a normal person with no one giving you a second look. Also look up the Feminine Expressions Group that has frequent gatherings and oppertunities to meet up with other gurls. Same safety concerns as with any other city although.
    Again Welcome to Dallas.

We have members here who live in Dallas who will hopefully chime in. There is a LGBT friendly area, but you need to hear from them exactly where this is, and more importantly, where it's not.

I've spent a good bit of time in the area. I love Dallas, except the summer heat, the traffic, and the vibe I get. It's such a progressive city in so many ways, I expected it to be more accepting. It may, if fact, be. I may go too much on vibes than I need to. When you don't know for sure, though, that's all you've got.

Back before I could dress whenever I wanted I'd always dress when I was out of town, and often that meant DFW. Crossdressing aside, it's noticeable that this is a place where the "men are men". Among the general population in the mainstream areas there's little deviation from strictly male. Earrings, waxed eyebrows... things that are common even where I live are pretty rare there. I left the hotel there on my way home once, not trying to pass. Hair slicked back in a high ponytail, waxed brows, hoop earrings, light (for me) makeup, girl's jeans and a white shirt. I stopped at Walmart down the road and the cashier first said, " I like your makeup", then said, "You're not from around here, are you?" That said a lot.

To be fair, I should also say that I've never had a problem there. Androgynous to miniskirts and stripper heels, the worst I've gotten is dirty looks, lots of stares, and a few comments like "We don't see many like you around here". Like I say, it's a vibe. Like anywhere else, you just need to know where to go and where not to.

(After I posted this I see Paula replied while I was typing. Go with here advice. She knows. I was just a visitor.)
    Last edited by Rhonda Jean; 07-14-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Banned Read only
    Hi hazel! The gayborhood, Oak Lawn & Cedar Springs is extremely accepting, and it's the area I live in. It's awesome. Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff, and Uptown are great too.

Plano is unaccepting, and actually really dangerous in places if you don't pass really well. Don't live there.

There's a CD/TG meetup group called feminine expressions that is really fun.

If you want someone to show you around the 'hood send me a PM and I'll give you contact info and we can hit a drag show at the rose room or some such thing.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 07-14-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Careful I bite <3
    Houston and Dallas seem to have a few CD and TG makeup artists to so congrats on the move and enjoy!

Thanks everyone, am so glad to see such helpful opinions. You all are awesome and am really excited to come over and meet everyone, it feels nice to get the kind of support that we need

welcome to dallas...I say that from a far..im in central texas but lived there several years...awesome place...if you ever go out around there oaklawn area is safe and accepting... S4 is a pretty nice club

I love Dallas. I don't get up there as often as I'd like to though. (I live down by Waco.) I go out dressed a lot, and have never had a problem. Welcome to Texas.

From 1998-2001 I lived 60 miles north of Dallas and went there dressed female 4 or 5 times. I went to the "Oak Lawn" area, which you hear about here as being just north of downtown. Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs being the main streets of action as I recall. There was Sue Ellen's, a lesbian night club and JR's, a gay club within a block or two of each other. Most of the tg people would be out late - way late at night. In 1998 they had the Metroplex CD Club which no longer exists and people would go, from the meeting and head down to the Oak Lawn district. I see there is a new tg club now. The Oak Lawn area seemed fairly safe but watch your back- don't get too far off the district, stay in well lighted areas and don't park too far away. Maybe scan the area first, en drab and/or don 't go out alone at first. Like it has been said, Dallas has it's good areas and bad too. I would stick to Oak Lawn district and/or Fort Worth's district. Getting to know people and opening up about yourself works best - and hopefully your new job doesn't keep you glued to it 24/7!
    Last edited by Aleca; 07-15-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Casey
    Welcome to town. Where are you moving from?

Well right now am in Philadelphia and I would say its not at all CD friendly and Dallas feels like home.

Casey
    There is a strange blend here of accepting, 21st century individuals with old school, conservative, cowboy minds. As long as you are minding your own business and are mindful that you are in a city, you should be fine.

Careful I bite <3
    Every city I've ever seen has the good and bad.

Have you bought a truck yet?

Welcome to Texas Hazel. Been to Dallas many times and I really like Dallas. Almost moved there once also from south Texas. Wish I had done it.

I have never ventured out as Davida in the very conservative panhandle of Texas. Although even here there is a place or two that is accepting. I do visit Dallas often and would love to venture out on my next trip there. This thread has been very helpful. Thank you ladies, to all who contributed.

Banned Read only
    BTW, any of you ladies who live in, or visit Dallas, feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know when you'll be around. I like meeting new people, and I'm happy to show others around. For the most part, Dallas is a pretty accepting place - surprisingly so for Texas. There are really only a few areas where you need to be really careful, or avoid altogether. (In general, if you find yourself surrounded by churches that are large enough to be seen from orbit, you probably aren't in a safe area.)

Banned Read only
    Brings back some memories!! Back in the early 80's I spent maybe 6 months working in Sherman and got to visit Dallas a few times. What I remember is Reunion Tower, Dealy Plaza, DFW (saw the Concorde there!), Love Field, the MixMaster and Baby Doe's Matchless Mine. I wonder how it has all changed? Tempus Fugitive...

Banned Read only
    Baby Doe's and the Concorde are gone - but the skyline has changed radically!