Thread: Losing Head Hair in HRT?

Losing Head Hair in HRT?

I am about 6 weeks into HRT and I notice that when I take a shower I get hair in my palm. It's not clumps but they are definitely coming out of my head. I am also growing my hair out from basically a buzz cut to almost 3 inches long on top now. I'm sure everyone's reaction to the 'mones is different but going bald? We can't mention dosages but hopefully I can mention that I am on 4 medications, one of which is specifically for hair regrowth.
    xoxo,
    Alisa

With hair regrowth meds it I'd common to shed quite a bit in the beginning.

I have heard of that happening. 4 medications? Without mentionning dosages, what are you taking?

Gold Member
    You don't say how much hair is in your palm. Hair is lost all the time and I find I lose the most when I shampoo. It is part of the cycle. You just may not have noticed it with a buzz cut. As you grow your hair out, you will also learn how to take care of it. Talk with a stylist and do some research. You don't want to shampoo often, you will want to be gentle when towel drying, and many other things. I have a pretty fair head of hair and I clean the drain often.

Frances. I am on E, progesterone, spiro and finasteride

Sue. thanks. I feel better. It's probably like 8-10 strands. I have been getting better at hair care. Only shampoo every other day and using products without phosphorus. I used to wash my hair every time I showered. Up to 3x per day.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 07-16-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Multiposts will be merged or deleted - this time it was "merged"
    xoxo,
    Alisa

I'm not on HRT and I lose a lot more than 8-10 strands per shampoo! When you're growing hair out it becomes much more noticeable as it gets longer.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Why are you taking all of that? Was that from you endo?
    Last edited by Frances; 07-15-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Silver Member
    I had a lot more hair loss after starting hrt and also it became much finer. It was a very noticeable change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Why are you taking all of that? Was that from you endo?
    Yes, all legit. Not mail order or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    I had a lot more hair loss after starting hrt and also it became much finer. It was a very noticeable change.
    Did it come back? It looks good in your avatar.
    Last edited by Nigella; 07-16-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Check out the faq's to learn how to multi quote
    xoxo,
    Alisa

A couple of questions and a comment, comment first. At 5 weeks in I haven't noticed any hair loss, now for the questions. Are there any typical "time stamps" for HRT, I think (imagination maybe but I don't think so) that shaved areas (legs, chest, etc. ) are growing slower. Second, Why can't we mention dosages? Wouldn't it be helpful to have questions addressed if all the information were available?

Thanks

My body hair was never impacted by HRT, which I started 6 years ago.

Mentioning dosages is dangerous as no two people are alike. Dosages are set by doctors according to the patient's needs. Self-medicating forumites may be tempted to raise their dosages upon reading some else's dosage. Regardless, they are irrelevant since physiologies, baselines and needs differ from one person to the next.

Hair loss can be a sign of low zinc intake as well...

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alisa63 View Post

Did it come back? It looks good in your avatar.
    Its very thin, fine hair. Just had some wind in it. Before hrt it was much thicker and stronger and healthier, and I lost a lot less when I showered or brushed it.

Arbon, you have basically described the difference between the hair of men and women. This thread may be the case of a transitioner actually transitioning and being surprised about it.
    Last edited by Frances; 07-18-2014 at 08:29 PM.