Thread: Giving back.

Giving back.

This morning an aquaintance of mine, a social worker, wrote me asking about some trans resources in Ontario. She wanted to hear from someone who's been there, done that.
    I can't express how pleased that she asked me. As a group, us transwomen tend to reach out a lot, and rarely give back. We're a needy bunch. The ability to just give back a little, even if my contribution is tiny, made me feel good. It also made me think that perhaps there is more I can do. I certainly have time to volunteer at something.
    If anyone has any suggestions how a middle aged transwoman can give back to the community, for a few hours, periodically, or occasionally, let me know.

Hello Paula,

I'm thinking food banks, community kitchens, etc. might welcome your voluteerism. You may even want to contact your United Way. They have many member agencies that need voluteers. Another avenue might be a local church. Good luck........Carlene

My kitchen needs painting. ...
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Angela- You're still near Sarasota? My passport is the last thing I'm waiting for. If I had it, we would be looking at paint chips right now!

Lol I could introduce you to several of the local bands in Sarasota. A wonderful place. They tell me i have a really good time there every Saturday,
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Gold Member
    Most trans support groups are non-profit and thrive from volunteer work. One real local to me that is likely to get some of my time is one that takes care of homeless LGBT teens and young adults. A group that is very much in need of other's time. I also wouldn't mind seeing what I can do with education for support groups for family and friends like PFLAG.

Silver Member
    I do try to do different volunteer work in the community. It helps me stay a part of, and not isolate as much. I do stuff with my church and non profit fundraisers and events. Also a lot for my daughters sports team.