Thread: Came out to Doctor

Elizabeth Anne Parsons ellieparsons's Avatar

Came out to Doctor

I came out to my doctor yesterday, just wanted to get it out in the open with her before i started on hormones. She is referring me to a new female Primary care physician instead of my current male doctor, I just feel like I will be more comfortable with the whole thing. She was really great about it and supportive, she said life is to short to be unhappy with who your are and not doing anything about it. Its finally slowly all coming together. I've come out to most of my family, but theres one male friend that scares the hell out of me and how he's going to react and i haven't told my work yet either which is going to be difficult.

I agree with your doctor, you need to be who you want to be.

Brava!! I to was switched to a female Dr.
    I'm glad things are moving ahead for you. Coming out is usually an easier process than we imagine. Your scary friend will probably love you as well.

Banned Read only
    Keep in mind that not everyone will be supportive nor accepting of your decision. That is life! Do not allow anyone to interfere with your life decisions that is not an integral part of your life (ie... wife, SO). Do what you must do to feel complete, happy, and successful as a person.

Platinum Member
    Glad you were able to speak with your provider about this. I agree with your decision to see a female primary care provider too. I have for many years, and way back when I was in counseling I had a female psychologist as well. I found it much easier to discuss my gender identity with female professionals. That is not to suggest that male physicians or psychologists would be less empathetic, but rather that I found it easier to overcome my own hang ups by talking with women providers.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    Rule one is to go with what makes you comfortable. This is tough enough without having to deal with doctors that aren't on your side.

I stayed with my male PCP. He has always been fantastic and cares about the family, not just the individual (there are depression and addiction issues in my family). So I knew I had a good thing. I wanted to go to a female therapist and never could settle on one and ended up hitting it off well with a male. I avoided the trifecta as my HRT provider is a female OB/GYN and she is absolutely fantastic. So it really matters what the person is like for me.

I wish you luck with your friend. And I suspect there are very few of us that don't have some level of anxiety about work. My advice would be to keep a good level of effort up (don't let it slip because your mind is wandering to things like transition). And keep a pleasant attitude. People will accept a good coworker far faster than the grump in the corner.