Thread: Biggest step so far!

Biggest step so far!

I made my biggest step yet this week. On Sunday night I got ready and went to a local AA meeting for the first time as Suzanne. A few of my friends that know were there. I don't attend this meeting regularly but most people there know me as Brent. I walked in with my head held high! My friend saved me a seat and I sat down. I received some knowing looks from people that knew about me being trans but had never seen Suzanne. 3 different women who know me as Brent came up and asked my name. They were stunned when I told them. The earth did not stop and everything was fine. Since this isn't a regular meeting for me I did not think it was necessary for me to share and explain anything.

The next evening was my regular meeting where everyone knows me. I got ready and headed over to coffee like I always do. The people at coffee were happy that I was going as me, Suzanne. We then went over to the meeting. Some people had heard about me from the preceding evening. I was greeted by one of the women with a big hug. One of my male friends was kind of mean when I went through the door. He said," I don't know what you think you are doing but good luck." Not in a good way. I shook it off and sat down in the back with 2 of my girlfriends who already knew about Suzanne. They dolted on me and I took a deep breathe. I had been waiting for this moment and it was finally here!

The topic was fellowship and how our live get better. A few people shared and I decided it was time. I moved into an empty chair more in the middle of the room and raised my hand. The secretary called on me. Here was the moment! I am Suzanne and I am an alcoholic. There I said it. Like music I heard ,"Hello Suzanne!" I couldn't believe it. I said how much the people at this meeting meant to me and I hoped I would never lose them. I said I would always be doing the same things I had for the last 12 years as far as sponsoring people and loving members of AA. I said I had learned that love an tolerance is the code of AA and I hoped that would be true in this case. Then I said thank you. In a totally unexpected and really inappropriate manner a manly man said, " What should we call you from now on, Suzanne?" Without missing a beat I said when I look pretty call me Suzanne. Everyone laughed and the tension just melted from the room.
    I can't tell you how many people came up afterward to offer their support. It was overwhelming. Even the guy who had been rude at the door came up and apologized. I have received calls and texts from very unexpected sources thanking me for my courage and honesty. I am now free to be who I want at my home group of AA. What a blessing !
    Last edited by Suzanne F; 07-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.

What a blessing indeed!!! Way to go!!!!

I know that took a lot of guts and i'm really happy that the experience was positive.

Big time kudos to you!!!

Bravo! That took so much courage. What a beautiful story.

Don't know if you happen to be a Stephen King fan, but his recent novel Doctor Sleep is sort of a love letter to AA. The main character also has a big revelation he is nervous about sharing with his group. It's a beautiful plotline in a strong novel overall.

Congratulations on overcoming the sarcasm and being yourself. You give me hope.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Untitled
    Sometimes we are surprised by the response from those who we expect to be against us. Glad all went well and that there are many more steps along the way.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

So pleased for you!

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Way to go Suzanne!!! Your story brought back many fond memories for me when I came out to family and friends. You are now free from one more of your prisons.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Gold Member
    I am happy for you Suzanne! It was a tough step but I will bet your recovery will feel more complete when you are approaching it as your real self. Good luck!

That is so great. I'm sure you will continue to get more comfortable going out as your true self. Enjoy every minute of it.
    Jeri

Suzanne
    way to go, this may make your life easier and help your journey

Suzanne,

I am really happy that you are getting to be yourself at your AA meetings. Isn't that freeing? I am hoping to come out soon at my home group. I've been scared to do so, but I think I'm ready to do so. You are really an inspiration Suzanne, and I am really proud of you
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Platinum Member
    That's a huge step, Suzzanne. Huge step and a humbling moment for that rude guy.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Suzanne - So very happy for you. Great Story - thank you for sharing.

Hugs,
    Traci Melissa Knight

To thine own self be true
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear

Last night I went to my regular Wednesday open meeting with my wife and son. We usually go to the meeting and then to dinner. There I was in a skirt with my family. I couldn't have dreamed that was possible a year and a half ago. There were a few awkward moments with a few of the guys. However most people were fine with it. To top it off, my wife and I had a calm discussion about hormones later that night. I think she has come to terms with me taking them next year.
    Suzanne

Little steps become milestones.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell