Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Background checks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    trans is just one way to discriminate..age is another.. hehe..I wonder if I can get my age changed!!!
    Sure, why not? They just turn it inside out like they do with GRS, and your age becomes the inverse of your chronological age.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

I am self-employed. I lied to myself about my transsexuality and refused to show my credit report to myself.

That magic SSN, despite the fact that legally it is "Not To Be Used As Identification" is really the key to your entire past. If you've led a normal life there is no way that you can alter every document that a background check will unearth. You will always have the "Also Known As" notation sitting in all sorts of files and if "Bernice" used to be known as "John" it is likely that the "trusted person" examining the data will tell everyone involved.

I think that this is a major contributor to people delaying transition until they are near or at retirement age.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

The last time I sat with an HR person to interview applicants for a city job, I noticed on one applicant's credit history a previous (male-sounding) name. This was a duty that all middle-managers rotate through, and I couldn't really ask her about it. When we check previous employment, all we're legally allowed to ask is dates of employment and 'would you hire him/her again?'. Several times I've been told 'we don't rehire - ever'. Well, that's a company policy, so I can't hold it against her. I see applications that are sent out with the 'shotgun' approach - people, if you're applying for a library job, a past as a mechanic isn't going to help. You would also not believe what people will wear, do, or bring to an interview. Dressing professionally (nice dress, skirted suit, etc.) and not wearing the tiny skirt and fishnet stockings.

If you're going to be handling money or sensitive materials, I'm going to look a little closer at that credit report. I may ask about it, and honesty helps - yes, I've had problems paying them off, I've had to run late a couple times, but then again, we've all done that. I know I have, in the days when my checking account had a negative balance, BUT they were paid. Good enough. You're climbing out of a financial hole, been there, done that.