Thread: To the brink ? $$$$$$$?

Banned Read only

To the brink ? $$$$$$$?

So here's the deal. I have come to realize that I will never be satisfied with my own makeup efforts.
    But....I am somewhat financially challenged and as much as I would like to blow 100$ every femme day on perfect airbrush makeup and lashes/pedi/mani from a pro, plus the very indescribable delight in being "transformed" (I never look in the mirror until the end) I have come to realize that my dressing must be a tri-monthlyh affair at best. How many of us girls are trapped in the money versus professional perfection trap? Home cooked is great, but a gourmet experience is what I want.

Banned Read only
    Well, I'm fortunate in that money is not problematic but I prefer to do my own makeup. It's a skill that one can practice and become better.

Banned Read only
    I could spent $100 per week on a makeover with no sweat, but, I'd rather spend it on other things in my life. Very rarely do I see a woman that is outright gorgeous with a ton of makeup. Up close I see a lot of caked up makeup. A truly gorgeous creature needs very little, if any makeup. I just recognize my flaws. I'm not passable with or without makeup. I rather pamper myself in other ways.

Hi,

Well money is not an issue i have i keep up with my payments and save and budget very well some 40 years of doing that so not a problem and run the house hold ,

make up oh dear , now that to me is an issue , yes i have had makeup done by 3 very good women and i would not have any issue there, and no doubt many dresser;s would say the end result for them is very good,

my issue i have never ever thought i was good enough let alone look like a female ( i am ) just makeup and my self it dont look right, iv been to health and beauty class;s and all yet and my make up was over two years so i do know what im doing, just not on my self ( reword that ) its i dont see a female who looks lovely at the end,

so i dont bother now , down to lippy and eye brow linner

You know what though you can get some nice cosmetics and if you take time to get some help from a young lady in the cosmetics shop im sure she would help you and advise on what would suit you your skin colour the shades that look right eye colour foundtion and powder and have a look that would suit you to a tee.and dont for get a nice perfume and smile,

...noeleena...

So true Stephanie. You only have to look at the glamour mags to see that makeup is used to highlight not design the natural beauty. But I am a bit of a hypocrite here I need to apply design principles as I enjoy putting on makeup and experimenting with different effects.
    It would be nice to splash out on a professional makeover but then I don't reckon I would want to wash my face.
    Ophelia a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do (where have I heard that before)
    Have fun hun!
    Amanda
    X

Banned Read only
    Getting a makeover is lots of fun - but you can really learn to do a very, very good job on your own makeup. It takes a lot of practice, some patience, and a lit, magnifying mirror helps a bunch. (OK a good makeup brush set also helps A LOT, too.) You can learn to do it exceedingly well, you really can. Once you get the hang of it, it's really fun to play with different looks, color palettes, etc.

One thing you can do is get makeovers at Sephora. You schedule one, and then the makeover is free, provided you buy (I think) $150 in cosmetics. Look, if you were going to spend $100 on a makeover anyway, wouldn't it be nice to walk out with some product, too?

Banned Read only
    Ophelia don't get too caught up into thinking if you blow enough money you will look great !
    I photographed brides for thirty years and some of the bridal makeovers were dire ! I sometimes felt to justify the cost the beautician would cake the bride to an almost mask like look.
    You don't mention if you wear a wig but if you get the right style and colour your makeup will work better but don't cake it on just work on losing the beard shadow and then concentrate on enhancing the right features, eyes, cheeks and mouth.

Yes, Teresa, I'm rapidly learning that "less is more" (even for beard coverage)!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I've been enjoying 'less is more' a lot lately. Money isn't an issue but, time is. Pictured, I'm pulling off a satisfying fem look with just a touch of lipstick. I've cruised around publicly like this with no looks. Not that I care. Yes, I know a little touch of makeup to hide the shadow a little more is probably needed but, for just a couple of hours it's not worth the effort. Someday I'll do the full on MAC adventure but for now, this is just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    Money really isn't the issue for me, but I dress pretty much every day...and I'm not prone to spend money on things I can do myself. I really enjoy learning and practicing new techniques.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I can't see spending that kind of money for something that I will have to remove at the end of the day, whether I could afford to or not.
    DonnaT

Not only that, I would be wondering if I got everything off.

Practically speaking, it would be a lot more economical to learn to do this myself.

Banned Read only
    If I dressed every day, or even every week, then doing my own makeup might make some sense. But my life is pretty full and I have other issues that require regular practice. Given the infrequence of my adventures it makes sense and it is a blast to have a pro. Here in Ottawa I've gotten great makeup by home salons for as little a $30. God bless Kijiji!

Money's a Problem

Money is a problem, I usually go out 2-3 times a year and get make-up by Mac at the mall, you have to purchase $50 of make-up, plus I always tip the make-up artist. I do find that I'm pretty good with make-up, the more I do it the more i get better, so I with limited funds in an fixed income have come to understand that i need to do my own more. It's not always great but Hey I'm understanding I'm not going to pass anyways so like the Army solgan "Be the Best You Can". Jenn

Over the years, I've learned what makeup works on me and what doesn't. Getting made up at the store I can easily drop over a hundred. But it's the lessons I learn that make those infrequent trips worth while. I get out and about two to three times a week and spend about 2 hours in front of the mirror to get out the door.

Once I purchased the basics of nails, forms, heels, clothes, hair, and tackle box full of makeup, my weekly updates to the drug store counter are less than 20 bucks. Heck, I spend twice that in a tank of gas.

Money is very tight for me, so I'm all for finding cheaper ways of living this way....

Renne......

Careful I bite <3
    Yup money is better spent learning what to works. Even though a lot of the girls here say money isn't an issue, it always sort of is.

You spend $100 3-times a week on new products, and some good advice and you'll be in great shape in no time.

Not all makeup has to be top drawer expensive to be good quality. Many less expensive lines will have some pieces in their lineup that are just as good as the high end stuff.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Ophelia, you sound like you're caught in the "I'm not good enough" trap. All the money in the world won't free you from that trap. I frequently go out with no makeup other than lipstick, and everything is fine. Do I get clocked? Boy do I ever! But most people don't give me a second glance. You're most likely going to get clocked once in a while no matter what you do, so plan ahead about how you're going to handle it. My usual reaction is to stand up straight, stick out my breast forms and saunter off with a haughty look on my face. No one has ever said anything untoward to me, but if someone ever asks me whether I'm really a man, I'm going to say "Oh, please not that again!" and go about my business.

Banned Read only
    I'd like to clear one thing up, and that is that when I say I am an occasional dresser, that means not more than every couple of months or so and often it is longer. I save up and make it an adventure. But I never drop more than $60 for makeup, by using Kijiji, coupons, Groupon, hairdressing schools. And girls, I don't use wigs so there's money in the bank. I'm crap at hair and I often get a deal for a makeover. And who doesn't enjoy being fussed over in a salon and getting called "girl" and "dear"? For sanitary reasons I bring my own sponges, foundations, mascaras, liners and such but in the end I probably spend far less than you think and far, far less than you do. Given the infrequence of my adventures a lot of makeup expires anyway.
    It also helps, every five years or so, to get the service and advice of a fashion professional who sees dozens of clients to see what is possible with a more age appropriate look.

I don't like to spend a lot of money on it unless I was going on an all day special outing. Other than that would rather save my money for other things and just do my make up myself. I have researched it a lot and it just comes with practice and time and get's better. The only benefit I see going to someone to do my make up professionally is for the learning experience and to see the outcome when done right but I would definently be taking notes so I could save the money later and do it on my own.

This is exactly what I just did and it was fantastic! I spent nearly twice that, though!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    Getting a makeover is lots of fun - but you can really learn to do a very, very good job on your own makeup. It takes a lot of practice, some patience, and a lit, magnifying mirror helps a bunch. (OK a good makeup brush set also helps A LOT, too.) You can learn to do it exceedingly well, you really can. Once you get the hang of it, it's really fun to play with different looks, color palettes, etc.

One thing you can do is get makeovers at Sephora. You schedule one, and then the makeover is free, provided you buy (I think) $150 in cosmetics. Look, if you were going to spend $100 on a makeover anyway, wouldn't it be nice to walk out with some product, too?

Hard to do it, but you ought to get little things here and there. Build up the arsenal.
    $100 is enough to supply yourself with a good bit of makeup essentials.
    Don't skimp on the concealer or foundation. I don't like powder, liquid helps my face breathe, goes on light if you even it out and I like the slight sheen on my skin after a few hours.
    That's when I touch-up with a powder.
    Just those two can be up to $50 if you go with some decent stuff like MAC.
    The other 50, is where it gets fun. You can get eyeliner, shadow, blush(if you use it), mascara and you'll have yourself plenty of ammo for practice.

With all the vids on YouTube, I suggest you take some cues from the makeup artists on there.
    It also might help if you specifically look for videos of TS makeup tutorials, they're quite skilled at hiding some of our features.

It's a hacky cliche, but I'll do it anyway..
    New makeup to look femme: $90
    Outfit for a night with the guys: $40
    Pulling girls because they're impressed with your makeup skills: Priceless.
    Last edited by visualkei; 08-13-2014 at 09:05 PM.

I enjoy doing my own makeup. I must be pretty decent at this point in that I've had GGs complement me on the job that I've done. Even my hair stylist said that I was good enough to help her with bridal parties (although I would never take her up on it).

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Someday I'll do the full on MAC adventure but for now, this is just fine.
    Depending on where you live, you might be able to get the experience without the full-on outlay. In addition to our actual MAC store, there are full-service MAC counters in some of the higher-end department stores in the area. I've sat down with the makeup artists there and had a full makeover done, no questions asked. It works well in a pinch...