Thread: Pretty is as pretty does

Pretty is as pretty does

As I have said I'm no doubt going to tone down my dressing to special events and such. Even so, I'm working on looks I consider to be natural but pleasant. I have already gone through my period of excessive makeup and the like years ago and have pretty much settled into presentations that use minimal makeup but look nonetheless nice. If I do go out, I do the whole shebang or nothing at all. I'm really pleased with some of the results. It would have been nice growing up as a girl and doing it all along but better late than never I guess, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Reality Check
    I think you're doing the right thing minimizing makeup to what you need to look like a woman. Some of the biggest mistakes crossdressers make are too much makeup, too high heels and too big boobs.

I also agree with either being all male or all female (as much as possible) when going out. A "guy in a dress" doesn't do it for me and I think the general public is pretty put off by that sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I think you're doing the right thing minimizing makeup to what you need to look like a woman. Some of the biggest mistakes crossdressers make are too much makeup, too high heels and too big boobs.
    If it's a mistake, it's one that many women make. So why do some women make up and dress over-the-top? To stand out rather than blend in, or to put themselves in their comfort zone. Not all women and not all crossdressers desire to disappear in the crowd. I like over-the-top makeup and high heels, short skirts, etc. But not so much big boobs. We're all different in what type of look we prefer. I've been out, but most of my crossdressing has been home alone, and I still prefer OTT everything when I transform in private. It's not a mistake - it's on purpose.
    It's good that Kate has evolved her presentation and is pleased with the results. That's her choice. But that doesn't make it the right choice for everyone.

Silver Member
    IMO many GG's do change with time by toning down the makeup and leaving some fashions to the "younger" set. That is not to say we in the older CD/TG community should give up completely what we once enjoyed doing in presenting our feminine side. Rather we too should not try to remain "young", but (when ready) refine our attire and makeup - to present a timeless classic image! Enjoy.

I agree with Nicole and Chari in that I don't forget my CD "roots". If I'm in a show or dancing sometimes I do go a bit over the top. It's always enjoyable expressing myself no matter how intense the look may be.

Kate, same here. I sometimes use a little powder, and no make up at all for photo sessions. Minimal to moderate. I don't dress as often, either now. Getting a will done, and thinking of end of life issues, too. Have had some close calls recently.

i'm with you on this one kate! being an "older" gal less is sometimes better, especially for blending.
    paula

Aspiring Member
    I am an older girl and definitely believe toning down makeup. But I still love red lip.

Banned Read only
    Kate if you read the new trends in makeup especially for mature ladies it suggests softer shades and little lower eye makeup.
    So I'm glad to say your going with the times ! I knew you were you were a fashion and makeup guru !

Not sure that I'm a guru Teresa. I've been taught by experts but I still came up with my own style which works well for me.

I usually just wear foundation and skip the eye makeup. I generally use foundation to hide the razor burn (my beard is pure white, so no shadow). I also have a somewhat splotchy complexion due to a medication I took a while back. It's not bad on a male face, but on a female, no.

Other than that, I'm pretty plain. I aim for classy in my female attire. (Limited somewhat by my poor fashion sense.)