Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microagressions at the mexican joint

Banned Read only

Microagressions at the mexican joint

Me and two of my trans friends went out for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. (Manny's Uptown - really good Mexican food!) The staff there is really nice to us (I am a good tipper), and it's in a mostly accepting part of town. So one of the waitresses comes over to the table, and with a very concerned look on her face, and points out that two women in a table behind us were laughing at us and taking photos of us on their cell phone's.

Hilarious - I get the joke - we're something to share on instagram or twitter: "Trannies at Manny's." Har dee har har.

We get this from time to time at various places - it's happened at Walmart and a couple of other places as well.

My friends wanted to go say something to these women, but I told them not to. Really, what can be gained by that? They'd just draw even more attention, and it would disrupt the meals of others at the restaurant who weren't being jerks. We were all pretty angry about it though.

I dunno, I've been in transition for 11 months now, so I've had enough incidents like this so that it doesn't really bother me that much anymore. (People staring at me I don't even notice now.) The only thing that really bothers me about it is that I won't bother talking to my family about it. They really don't believe stuff like this happens. I've tried telling them before. They don't get it. They try to explain it away, or deny it. That lack of understanding frustrates me way more than the event itself, at this point.

I know most of us have had stuff like this happen from time to time. Anyone have any especially memorable microagressions? What'd you do about it at the time, if anything?

I don't know if I would call such incidents "aggressions," micro or not.

Younger people will see something interesting and whip out their phone. Not much you can do short of grabbing it and dunking it in their soda!

Frankly, life is too short to concern myself with such people. The people who count, my friends and acquaintances, treat me as I present. If I happen to give a teenybopper with a cameraphone a thrill so be it. I've made their life a bit more interesting and perhaps made the TG world a bit less remote to them.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Silver Member
    that is pretty rude...some people are just not to bright and don't really understand what they are doing or how it makes someone feel. Sorry you had that happen.

I had a couple stare at me and talk in another language while going up an escalator.
    It wasn't that upsetting but damn at least make it look a little less obvious.

Aspiring Member
    Perhaps you could fight fire with fire, whip out your own cell phone and take their picture. Then you and your partner can point at the picture and crack up laughing.

Or, have the waittress bring them a couple of margaritas with your compliments

Ineke
    Last edited by Ineke Vashon; 07-28-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Banned Read only
    @Eryn - they weren't teenagers. These were grown women, late 20's, early 30's I'd guess. They were old enough to know better. Look, I don't really mind going to Uptown, the nearby neighborhood where all the straight folks live and providing some local color for them to gawk at. ("Look Martha! Transsexuals!")

Pointing, giggling, and taking and posting photos is definitely rude and mocking.

Most of the folks in that neighborhood are a lot cooler than that. Maybe they were slumming from Plano?

The sad part is the straight folks over in Uptown are starting to encroach on the gayborhood, where I live. So this type of stuff will eventually start happening over in my neck of the woods. For example, some fool opened up a straight bar down the street from me. Me and my friends went in, and were steadfastly ignored by the staff for about 20 minutes before we got the hint and left. Eventually, their tavern will be a good idea. Right now though, opening a straight bar in the middle of gay central doesn't seem really bright.

I don't think it'll be too many more years before this manages to push all the LGBT residents and businesses from here into Oak Cliff. (This process is well underway, and the city of Dallas is masterful at this type of gentrification.) It's kind of unfortunate, because I imagine the historical heart of the gay community here will eventually be gone. But hey, at least there'll be plenty more bank branches, Starbucks, and a whole slew of chain restaurants and chain retail stores.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 07-28-2014 at 01:38 AM.

I use the phrase "Teenyboppers" but there are plenty of 20- and 30-something people who grew up with digital photography who have no sense of etiquette. The expense of film photography seemed to be a moderating influence on all but news and paparazzi photographers.

I tend to stick with mainstream venues and feel that going there decreases my chances of being made versus that of LGBT venues. People at LGBT venues, gawkers or not, tend to be more savvy and on the lookout for unusual people. I still get made, but people are less blatant about expressing it. I don't recall having anyone take my picture at a mainstream venue, but it has happened at "LGBT-friendly" venues.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    Pointing, giggling, and taking and posting photos is definitely rude and mocking.
    Absolutely! Age does not always alter stupidity and poor behavior. Leo Buscaglia once said, "Some of us mature, some just grow taller."

I'm not sure what I would have done. On an intellectual level I totally believe that Eryn and Ineke are right, but I'm not sure I could react with the grace and ladylike behavior that they display.

Maybe they were slumming from Plano?... (This process is well underway, and the city of Dallas is masterful at this type of gentrification.) It's kind of unfortunate, because I imagine the historical heart of the gay community here will eventually be gone. But hey, at least there'll be plenty more bank branches, Starbucks, and a whole slew of chain restaurants and chain retail stores.
    Hmmm, so now it's everyone else's fault? Since they were in this supposed gay enclave is it possible that they were simply rude lesbians? I'm sure that you know that some of "them" have no love for some of "us."

Let's see -- Plano, Dallas, Starbucks, lesbians, "them," "us" -- gee, there are quite a laundry list of people we can make into "others," class warfare at its very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineke Vashon View Post
    Or, have the waittress bring them a couple of margaritas with your compliments
    Ineke
    Ineke, I definitely think that you and Eryn are on the right track.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Let's see -- Plano, Dallas, Starbucks, lesbians, "them," "us" -- gee, there are quite a laundry list of people we can make into "others," class warfare at its very best.

Ineke, I definitely think that you and Eryn are on the right track.
    Persephone.
    Enlightened as I think I am, I still have to kick my ass for labeling others when they label me. Stereotyping and bigotry are hard shackles to break free.

Platinum Member
    I've been very fortunate. No one has done anything that I noticed in over four years of being out in public. But then, maybe I just don't notice.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ironically, the only places I've met finger pointing, rude remarks, or scowling has been in gay bars, from the gay (mostly lesbian) clientele.

Some people tend to look, gawk, stare, point, or whatever no matter where I am or where I go. Being unusually tall, I tend to stick out anywhere and everywhere I go.

I used to really let this bother me. I mean, I just wanted to fade into the background under everybody's radar and be invisible.

It's impossible for me, though. I can't undo my physical presence. So what's my alternative? To not go out? To not be me? To not live my life? To sit it all out on the sidelines?

It took me a long time to grow thicker skin and become more confident in myself, but now that I have developed both, and continue to develop these things more and more everyday, I don't let other folk's crap get to me like I once did.

There are a lot of uneducated idiots and hateful, hurtful people out there. That's just a fact of life, and nothing any of us do or say is going to change this. So the way I see it now is that if I let them get to me, then that's on ME, not them. Because if I let them get to me, they win, and I lose.

Regardless, I have worked much, much too hard to get to this place in my life where I believe in myself and the potential of my future. The last thing I'm gonna do right now is allow some random moron strangers who I have never met and will never see again take any of that away from me.

But yeah, it can be hard, and it can really suck if you let it suck. It's really funny, though, how perspective can change. I wanted so much to be invisible before. I would've given anything for it. Now, I could really care less about being invisible. And by taking ownership of myself in this fashion, it is those others who have become invisible to me.

I get people being rude to me all the time. I know england is nowhere near the worst place to be trans, or a CDer or even just effeminate, but the town I live in (andover) is not one of the more LGBT friendly places. The most common ones I get are middle aged men shouting things at me from their vans, and people, again generally men, talking loudly about me behind my back when I'm in town, usually pointing out that I'm a "bloke" (hate that word), and the laughter and jokes ensue because a man not looking like a man is the funniest thing ever or something.

Like, if I wanted people to think of me as a man, I wouldn't go around wearing heavy makeup and women's clothes. That's just common sense, not that I expect it out of most people. and yeah I guess it's pretty obvious where I came from being that I'm tall, flat chested and have big feet, not to mention my facial hair which sometimes is still visible, but it should be pretty obvious that if someone's taking lengths to hide masculine/feminine traits, then it's pretty rude to point said traits out. I can't stop people thinking these things but it's not hard to keep one's opinions to oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I don't know if I would call such incidents "aggressions," micro or not.
    “Microagression” is the actual, legitimate term for this. It’s a term used in therapy, diversity training and in equality issues.

Don’t confuse your willingness to let a microagression slide with the legitimacy of the experience (or your perceived lack of that) and its impact on PaulaQ.

The only thing that really bothers me about it is that I won't bother talking to my family about it. They really don't believe stuff like this happens. I've tried telling them before. They don't get it. They try to explain it away, or deny it. That lack of understanding frustrates me way more than the event itself, at this point.
    And that, my friend, is the worst part of this episode. If you can’t count on your support network, then - what? You probably ought to rely more heavily on those who know you and love you and who have your back. Perhaps your family will come around, but plan for the possibility that they won’t and find your strength elsewhere.

Just my 2 centavos.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    Some people tend to look, gawk, stare, point, or whatever no matter where I am or where I go. Being unusually tall, I tend to stick out anywhere and everywhere I go.

I used to really let this bother me. I mean, I just wanted to fade into the background under everybody's radar and be invisible.

It's impossible for me, though. I can't undo my physical presence. So what's my alternative? To not go out? To not be me? To not live my life? To sit it all out on the sidelines?
    It's really funny, though, how perspective can change. I wanted so much to be invisible before. I would've given anything for it. Now, I could really care less about being invisible. And by taking ownership of myself in this fashion, it is those others who have become invisible to me.

Anne how do you perceive yourself now you are at that place.
    I want to just blend in with the other woman and never look back, however realistically I know this isn't the case. Sometimes I tell myself it's ok to be trans and nothing wrong with being different. But thats a small lie I tell myself as it hurts too much to admit I most likely will never be accepted as a true woman.
    I really waver one to the other, one day feeling strong as a woman, another day a few odd stares and I question if i'm falling into delusion.
    I know this will go once I am living fulltime and it becomes the norm. But the question is for those who are at that stage is it possible to feel a woman when there are so many reminders we are different, or does that difference manisfest in another way?
    Is it possible to be proud of being trans and accepting you are different, while at the same time allowing your female identity to flourish?
    Does my question make any sense?

Banned Read only
    @Michelle M. - Thanks hon, you are absolutely right. I stopped looking to my family for support a while ago, and I look to friends I've made in the trans community.

@Persephone - I'm really not quite sure how you got the message you seem to have gotten from what I wrote, but OK, I guess. I don't really know what else to say.

Edit: I meant to mention that I ignore micro-aggressions. The great thing about being handicapped my entire life is I grew up with pretty constant exposure to micro aggressions for my whole life. So it all rolls off my back - I don't care what they think.

It really upset my friends though - this type of occurrence is a new thing to them.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 07-28-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Your friends will need to develop thick skin if they are transitioning of plan to go dressed often. It gets worse before it gets better!!
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

somewhere in this world (the cyberworld) there are hundreds of photos of me and I have no idea how they are being used or labeled. I see people taking pictures of me all the time and I have built up this story about how they post to Youtube or twitter or pinterest with the captions "Pretty woman I saw today" or "Wow what a set of pipes this woman has" or "This is the kind of skirt I have been looking for." Maybe even a guy who posts "Does anyone know this beautiful woman and can I get her number".

I just cannot worry about photos now. If it did bother me I guess the correct reaction would be to ask the manager to move me to a new table away from them. If I did decide to encounter them maybe I would say "Please not pictures. My agent says I can't have that published before the movie comes out" Or "I have to ask you to not take pictures as you are compromising the investigation" and if I wanted to be really rude "Your husband has asked that you don't take pictures before he serves the divorce papers."
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.M View Post
    “Microagression” is the actual, legitimate term for this. It’s a term used in therapy, diversity training and in equality issues.
    I wasn't familiar with this bit of jargon. I did some reading on it and the breadth of application is considerable. For example, a woman deciding to pursue a career in nursing, a traditionally female profession, could be termed an act of microaggression as it serves to perpetuate a perceived inequity. A person can be labeled as microaggressive by the simple act of stating that he or she is unbiased!

Don’t confuse your willingness to let a microagression slide with the legitimacy of the experience (or your perceived lack of that) and its impact on PaulaQ.
    What is the alternative? Should every perceived slight result in a scene of retribution? The fact is that there are rude and unthinking people among us and all the sensitivity training in the world won't change that. I don't want to see anyone go through life being controlled by their actions.

And what of the waitress in the OP's situation? She's the one who made Paula aware that she was being photographed. Is she being microaggressive by telling Paula of a situation that she knows would cause her distress and might possibly result in an ugly scene? One could speculate that she wanted to stir the pot and see what happened for her own entertainment!

And that, my friend, is the worst part of this episode. If you can’t count on your support network, then - what? You probably ought to rely more heavily on those who know you and love you and who have your back. Perhaps your family will come around, but plan for the possibility that they won’t and find your strength elsewhere.
    Part of support is helping a person to decide which battles are worth fighting and which are not worth wasting one's emotional capital. Is it really worthwhile letting a microaggessor live rent-free in one's mind when they are better ignored and forgotten?
    Eryn

Should every perceived slight result in a scene of retribution? The fact is that there are rude and unthinking people among us and all the sensitivity training in the world won't change that.
    You make a good point in that we need to pick our battles. Of course we simply cannot throw down every time someone crosses us. There are many factors to consider, chief among them being personal safety. And if you do challenge the person, what is the reasonable outcome?

I have let some things slide because my actions would have either been dangerous, harmful, or would have had no effect. But that doesn’t make the microagression any better, it just means that someone had to back down and I decided that someone ought to be me. But I have also acted on some incidents with devastating results to the jerk who thought I was an easy target. It’s a case of pick and choose.

In my opinion, the default position isn’t “I shouldn’t act” with a justification for inaction, but rather “I should act” with a mitigating reason why you should change your mind. We ought to take acceptable risks for the sake of social justice. Just standing up for what is right might be your own little Rosa Parks moment that changes something for the better.

But in every case the decision is personal and situational. Be safe, but recognize discrimination for the evil that it is.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Banned Read only
    The fact is that there are rude and unthinking people among us and all the sensitivity training in the world won't change that.
    Well really the problem isn't one of rudeness or someone who isn't thinking. The problem is that many simply don't view us as being human beings. Rather we are objects to be feared or ridiculed.

And what of the waitress in the OP's situation? She's the one who made Paula aware that she was being photographed. Is she being microaggressive by telling Paula of a situation that she knows would cause her distress and might possibly result in an ugly scene? One could speculate that she wanted to stir the pot and see what happened for her own entertainment!
    I don't really think that's the case. I'm a regular customer at this place, and I tip well. The waitress looked pretty concerned and kind of freaked out about it. My read was that she was worried about it. I don't think she was stirring the post. The little mostly concealed smirk was missing, for one thing. Anything's possible I guess.

Part of support is helping a person to decide which battles are worth fighting and which are not worth wasting one's emotional capital. Is it really worthwhile letting a microaggessor live rent-free in one's mind when they are better ignored and forgotten?
    My family would simply spend the time trying to argue with me that the entire event never happened. Much as if I'd claimed I'd seen a UFO. I don't even bother talking to them about stuff like this - or increasingly, with anything related to my transition, because they tell me how easy it all is - just like they've seen on TV. That is, when they aren't uncomfortably silent about the whole matter. They weren't much help to me either, when I was a kid dealing with similar stuff because of my legs.

Silver Member
    I think that if I were in the joint in Mexico that I'd have a lot more to worry about than rudeness!
    Lea

...My family would simply spend the time trying to argue with me that the entire event never happened....
    That's another issue, and one that is not easily addressed. They seem to be taking the easiest path, not one that is most helpful to you.

I won't try to argue that the event did not take place, but I will offer that it is probably not one worth addressing. If you had approached the offending women with some sort of rebuke they would be telling everyone about the "nasty tranny who accosted them." As it is, they took a picture that will be quickly forgotten as the next target comes into their sights.

In an *ideal* world, the waitress would have acted pro-actively by having her manager tell the offending women that their actions were not appropriate, but this is a tall expectation for a typical bar manager, even in a LGBT venue.

At times I've felt like I've been under scrutiny, such as a situation where young women look at me across the room then giggle among themselves. The bottom line is that I don't really have any idea of what they were giggling about. They might well be looking at my height, or my clothes, not my gender. If I notice them looking at me I will return their gaze and give them a nice smile. It's rather hard to think ill of someone who is outwardly friendly.

Oh, and older people also people-watch, but they hide it better. Can any of us say that we haven't looked at other people and commented about them among our friends?
    Eryn

Banned Read only
    @Eryn - yep, my family tends to take the path of least resistance, and to avoid talking about hard stuff.

We didn't address the issue with the women - I stopped my friends because I just didn't see the point in creating a scene. In general, I don't say anything unless someone says something really rude and inappropriate to me first. I don't care that much when people do this stuff - like I said, I'm used to it.

I dislike it more when places refuse to serve me, because that usually takes longer to figure out, and just wastes my time.

If restaurants are refusing you service. Maybe think about moving to a different states. I have never, ever been refused service at at any place I would be spending money. I know if I lived in an area where being accosted, ridiculed, running for my life, refused service is a weekly or daily event. I would most certainly do out a friendlier place to live.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W