Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA changes policy?

TSA changes policy?

I had another trip to the Boston area last week. I flew as Richelle both ways. On the way out I wore a long maxi-dress and the way home, a new dress I picked up on the trip at Kohl's. I have gone through security many times as Richelle. What was interesting was this is the first time the TSA agent that checked my passport used by first name (and it is not Richelle) when clearing me and wishing me a good flight. In the past they always just said thank you and never used a name.

Just wondering if the TSA is attempting to become more friendly by calling people by their first name.

Richelle

Bureaucrats friendly? Nah, never happen.

Platinum Member
    I would venture to guess that they are, indeed, trying to be friendly and courteous as possible. I recently flew, not en femme, alas, and I thought that the TSA staff were both friendly and courteous.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Hi Richelle, Maybe they were just having a good day.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The TSA knows how unpopular they are. The politeness is damage control.

For what it is worth, I welcome the politeness.. but they still want me to step into a scanner and see my junk.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

They just doubled the TSA charge...So they are laughing all the way!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Maybe the TSA is finally taking a page out of the retail industry playbook and are starting to apply the priciples of "Customer Service 101"

Long overdue IMHO, but I won't become a true believer in their sincerity until they offer to "start a room" for me as most women's clothing store SA's tend to do.

Did they call others by their first name?

They don't personally know you, so why would they call you Bob? It should be either Sir or Mam, or Mr./Ms. Stevens. Using a first name is bad manners.

Why would they call you Bob, if dressed as a lady? Not very friendly to out someone.
    DonnaT

In my experience, TSA has become much friendlier in recent years. Back in 2002, an old-lady TSA agent walked up to me and said, in the nastiest voice possible, "Hold it sir, you've got scissors in your briefcase!" Since I didn't even own a pair of scissors I replied, "Scissors? I don't think so."
    "I know so." She replied in an even nastier voice, and began dumping stuff out of my briefcase. Then another agent tapped her on the shoulder and said, "No, no, not that one, this one!" And pointed to a different bag. She walked off without saying a word. These sorts of encounters used to be common.

These days, however, everyone seems friendly and polite. I think they've been sending their agents to charm school.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Ah yes the TSA. Their motto should be "If you don't let us touch your junk, you hate America!"

I find the TSA people more friendly lately. I think they've definitely been given instructions to behave like humans.

Oh, and this is slightly off-topic, but you have to listen to this: http://www.cbc.ca/thisisthat/blog/20...bc-radio-host/

It's really funny! [It's a Canadian satirical radio show, and in the segment above the interview speaks to a Canadian Border Services Agent about efforts to improve etiquette at border crossings.]

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    Did they call others by their first name?

They don't personally know you, so why would they call you Bob? It should be either Sir or Mam, or Mr./Ms. Stevens. Using a first name is bad manners.

Why would they call you Bob, if dressed as a lady? Not very friendly to out someone.
    Good question. Do not know. They keep the next person in line far enough back so that you can not hear what they say. And I agree, they should have said Ms Whatever.

Crossdresser
    It's probably part of the interview training. Since you were dressed and not exactly looking like your photo ID, they call you by name to see how you react. BTW: isn't it racist to be asking for photo ID? That's what the liberals claim when it comes to voter ID.

Reality Check
    I don't think any kid grew up dreaming of becoming a TSA inspector, it's a job they take because they can't get a better one. Every passenger they deal with is upset that they have to wait in line and be scanned or worse rather than just getting on the plane and going to where they are going. Imagine yourself doing this job hour after hour, day after day, year after year.

Considering this, they are doing well if they are professional and polite.

I remember the time when you just bought a ticket and got on the airplane. I flew with a group many years ago and we had won tickets to where we were going. One of the group was afraid to fly so he drove his car. The girlfriend of another group mamber used the ticket. No problem. She was asked why her ticket said "David" and she replied it was her stage name and walked onto the plane.

The TSA is a tough one to figure out. There are plenty that are nasty and probably more that are very pleasant. I do think they have an unfortunate job. I know one time when I was randomly screened and then somehow "failed" test #2, they had to do the whole body search thing in a back room. As bad as it was for me, I'm sure it was worse for the guy who had to do those all day every day. Yuck.

Two way street. Are as polite as you think you are? Think about it everytime yo go into a store. Are you polite or re you a bitch?
    Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieCLT View Post
    ...As bad as it was for me, I'm sure it was worse for the guy who had to do those all day every day. Yuck.
    For those of a certain mindset it would be a dream job.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Might simply be studying to become a better detective. I remember reading somewhere that using someone's name helps you remember all sorts of things about them. I've used that daily in practice, and it has made a difference. A real psychologist could tell you why the theory works, I just do it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I think they are using it to be more curteous to people. Might be required now.

Tina
    I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think it's going to rain, it will.

Take a few more trips and see if the procedure persists.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    The TSA knows how unpopular they are. The politeness is damage control.

For what it is worth, I welcome the politeness.. but they still want me to step into a scanner and see my junk.

- MM
    I agree...it is damage control. I have had only one truly nasty TSA agent so far. At my home airport. His supervisor and the cop who was on the security detail at the time got rid of him pronto.

I always opt out of the junk scanner. So I get felt up. It makes for an interesting conversation when my old Army injuries preclude raising my arms the way they like. I always insist on inspection in public on the security line...I want witnesses! And so do the good TSA agents.

I was in the air force, when I was younger. That said, I will not fly! If I ever really need to fly somewhere, I will drive to Canada and fly from there. If everybody, absolutely everybody refused to fly for just a week, and the airports were empty, this nonsense would end. The airlines would be screaming bloody murder to their congressvermin and senators, and it would end. But the american people refuse to change their routines, or deny themselves anything to preserve their freedom.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Anyone can make a mistake, Richelle. Even a TSA agent. Tho, I'm certain that's quite rare. Ha ha ha!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    ...But the american people refuse to change their routines, or deny themselves anything to preserve their freedom.
    Actually, a lot of Americans have chosen to take earthbound vacations rather than subject themselves to government humiliation. Please adjust the width of your brush.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Rudeness seems to come as standard equipment with low paid employees who are given any kind of power at all. How do you know if the "politeness" you experienced was nothing more than an attempt to out you?
    Calling someone by their first name is rude unless someone has requested that you do so. It is normally the relationship of an adult addressing a child, with you as the child and I, for one, do not consider this an attempt at friendliness or courtesy.
    Last edited by donnalee; 08-11-2014 at 02:23 AM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)