Thread: Progesterone ya or na

Progesterone ya or na

I know I asked a question about progesterone before. But this time I would like to know if you think progesterone helped you or not and what your feelings on it are. My doctor is reluctant to put me on it but will if I want it. I heard it helps with body fat distribution and the shape of your breast. I know all the evidence is anecdotal, but that is do to the fact that they haven't studied it for what we use it for. When I went to my last trans support meeting I asked how many were on progesterone and it was about 98% and they seemed to be very happy with it. I could really use some good feedback this is a hard decision for me to make. I know there is increased risk and that's my worry. When it came to HRT I didn't care the risks, it was something I felt I had to have and still do. But this is something to help move things in the right directions, so I'm worried about pushing my luck so to speak.
    Thanks Janelle
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

I am one year into my HRT and have been taking Pometruim since day one, my current endo swears by it. I have seen where people are cycling it but I have been told to take it daily. I am happy with the growth I have gotten so far (of course there could always be more).

Megan
    I'm outta here...

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I've neve taken and I haven't had problems with breast development.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I haven't been at this very long and I know I need s of me guidance

Tried progesterone at first and had some depression so I stopped. Been on just spiro and estrogen for over a year and have full B's almost to C.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Progestin is the one that can have the most side effects and most endos agree it doesn't change breast development much and usually makes your breasts very tender and sore. I have been on HRT a year E & Spiro, and I have good developement
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Silver Member
    My doctor considered progesterone briefly as an alternative to bumping up my E dosage, but decided to increase the E in the end.

There is no doubt whatsoever that P triggers breast growth. It's more a matter of whether it's worth it, given that much of the new growth is to the milk duct system and is temporary. Any permanent growth is variable, as is any maturation of the breast. While some may go from, say, Tanner stage 4 to 5, others may have no change. P has its own risks, of course, and side effects, including depression and hair growth. Like anything else, it's a balanced set of choices, I guess. If I were getting nowhere with growth, for example, P would look like a more attractive option than it does.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    I've neve taken and I haven't had problems with breast development.
    Neither have I - I have never taken progesterone. I have certainly had ample breast development and they continue to get even bigger as I still have intense breast growth pains.

Johanna Anna
    Last edited by JohnH; 08-07-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

So I've been on E and Spiro for a little or a year. And I do have some breast growth, I'm a 38 b but he bras are a little padded just a little. I would like them to be a little fuller looking, and I would like a little nipple development. When you say hair growth what do you mean by that?
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

Progesterone has been known to make body hair grow more profusely.

Ever seen a pregnant woman? The progesterone is increased and hair growth is heightened. Works that way on us too.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

My endo was skeptical, but I talked him into it for the same reasons that everyone else thinks they should use it - it supposedly has a potentiation effect on estradiol. It didn't, at least not for me. No effect on development whatsoever, but it did raise my T level. I quit at the same time I came off everything pre GRS and never started up again.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Gold Member
    Hmmm.... I seem to remember more positive comments reading here before with some others that didn't like the side effects. I am giving it a whirl and was looking at it being in use during the development times. My doctor cycles by having you take it for only one week out of the month. This is an approach I have heard of to mitigate the side effects. One month in so I can't really report yet, but no depression. Which is pretty good because work has been a bear lately and I am going through it fine.

Depends what your expectations are? Your a B cup a year in that sounds like healthy growth to me?
    I personally wouldn't take anything that could increase hair growth, let alone the other side effects. Especially when the results are not exactly proven.

From what I read a B maybe C cup is usually the average size reached, anything more and you maybe talking surgery.
    If the people at your support group have had success perhaps you should ask them more details about it?
    Have you got a realistic idea of what Progesterone can do for you? You seem a little too hopeful?

Aspiring Member
    I have been on E and Spiro for just over 3 months and have growth and tons of soreness. My endo said she want to gor to PRO at the 9 month mark but now I am not so sure by reading the comments.
    Professional thread killer.

I've been on HRT for a year and have B cups -- almost all due to a somewhat higher than usually prescribed dosage of E because I can't tolerate spiro. I tried progesterone briefly. But I'm prone to depressions and this seemed to trigger them, so I stopped. This is one of those YMMV things.

Hi,

If your a female and have female receptors then your body should be able to use it other wise the likelyhood for most males it wont do any thing ,

Now, how each persons body is configgered hormones in thier makeup ,is open to well..... it may or may not work the only way to find out is have all your blood tests done before you start any meds and then check every 3 months for a year and see what the results are , by then youll have a good idear ,

For many women they will work and some they don,t so and this is for menopausal women in the main,

...noeleena...

My endo said Nay. He believes the benefits are dubious, if any, and I should probably take the least amount of drugs I can. I trust him, and what he says usually makes sense.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noeleena View Post
    Hi,

If your a female and have female receptors then your body should be able to use it other wise the likelyhood for most males it wont do any thing ,
    Hormone receptors aren't sex-specific. Everyone has all types.
    Lea

Banned Read only
    I just sent a message to my doc asking about P due to a very high estrogen level so I'm kinda interested. What she says

My understanding is that it's a definite na.

The following article by the UK's Dr Curtis is a fairly well known discourse on why that us the case:

http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/Medpr...ogesterone.pdf
    Last edited by Alex R; 08-18-2014 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Thanks for the link Alex.

I've been on P since the beginning. I can't say that it's done anything for me. Maybe it's the reason why my nipples are always really sensitive (not in a good way either), maybe it's why I've had bouts of depression, maybe it's why I've gained weight and now get migraines. Who knows. My endo, who I increasingly do not trust, believes it helps suppress testosterone. I know for a fact that this is not true because I was on just P and E for about 1.5 years and my T slowly came back. Now I'm on spiro. I've been on HRT for 3.5 years.

Banned Read only
    Aprilrain. You E level sounds low to me. I had all those exact issues until I switched my dosages higher with my doc. I gained almost 30 lbs. and at it's worst was getting migraines every 3 rd day and they would lAst for 36 hrs at a time. Not a fun 3 mo

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post

Maybe it's the reason why my nipples are always really sensitive (not in a good way either), maybe it's why I've had bouts of depression, maybe it's why I've gained weight and now get migraines.
    April,

Just as a side note I stopped taking my P for the past 8 days and all I can say is OMG what a difference. I was having severe gastro intestinal issues and my wife had commented many times how down/moody I always seemed. I did not see it as depression (been there done that) but now that I have been off P for a while I defiantely see that I was a little.

My gut issues have cleared up and I feel alive again..

After this thread was started I took a serious look at the side effects of progesterone and took a chance to see if removing this would help. And it did..

Megan