Thread: A little concern

A little concern

The next big hurdle I have to cross happens this weekend. I have come out of family (one not good reaction but that will be addressed this weekend too), friends, colleagues and neighbors. I am a performer now singing live in front of people. I am almost a year into hormones, have been RLE for over a year. So what's to be worried about? Meeting the people I went to school with 40 years ago.

I am going to my High School reunion this weekend. There are a few people who "know" but last I heard was that would be 75 classmates plus SOs attending. I live in a major metropolitan area that is liberal. The reunion is in a small city in farm country and extremely conservative. They don't really understand anything about LGBT and especially the T part. I hope that it will be a learning experience for all of us and I hope that they will have an open mind. Still I am very apprehensive. This is going to be a wild ride. Let's see if I can hang on the full 8 secs
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Good luck! I am from a conservative area also. I have been in the process of coming out to many of my friends from there . For the most part it has gone well. That is reaLy great that you want to go and face your friends even though it is scary. That is courage to me!
    Hugs
    Suzanne

Lori

Having met you in person, you are an awesome individual. I can understand the apprehension as it is only normal. However, you have the fortitude to handle it with grace.

I am betting that just about every one there will enjoy you as the great person that you are and will be glad that you are freely expressing yourself.

At fortieth reunions, everyone wears a name tag, and some have yearbook pictures. I wonder what yours will look like.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I went to my 25th a few years ago and found it to be a very positive experience. I would say I have far more friends now from the class than I had when I was actually attending the school. I hope your reunion turns out similarly! Your school and age group are obviously different, but I can share a few things I did that seemed helpful in case you think they might apply:

I reached out to the reunion's organizers ahead of time to ensure that they knew what to expect and were willing to help set a positive tone. Having allies to look out for you is always a good thing!

Our reunion had an organizational web site where people could post biographies. I'd say only about one in ten actually posted anything, and perhaps twice as many read them. I went ahead and posted my story and received a lot of positive outreach as a result, including connections with former classmates who weren't coming to the reunion but had stories of their own to tell. One woman had married someone who turned out to be transsexual, and she remained supportive even though their relationship didn't survive. Another was a Wikkan who was afraid she'd be an outcast, so was really happy to see she wasn't alone in having an unusual story to tell. Not all of the positive outreach was from women, either.

I made a point of mingling at the event. It's a lot harder to stick to an uninformed opinion when you're faced with a very real, friendly person.

... all in all, it was an experience I treasure and I hope yours is similarly memorable. Let us know how it goes!
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Banned Read only
    I can see two possible outcomes here. You will have one heck of a reunion or you will be run out with pitchforks. My advice is to go and be your warm loving self. Have a good time and do not allow those who do not agree with your decision have any effect on your life. Do take a pair of running shoes just in case they are needed! Those pitchforks are pointy.

Platinum Member
    You'll survive, I'm sure, but a few of your classmates will have their worlds rocked. I'm anxious to here about it. I'd wish you good luck, but you won't need it. Have fun!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    The world is changing and what was a conservative town, may not be. Or the people may not be. But Lori is fun and personable, so I strongly suspect all will be well. Stay loose and have a blast!

I hope you have a great time at your reunion. You newest avatar really looks great. I always read your posts with interest. Good luck there.

Edy

Silver Member
    You might be surprised that many conservatives are very accepting. More so than some liberals. I live in a very conservative area and yes there are many LGBT individuals living here too. They may go home a talk about you, but it might be that they like you better now.

My female name is only one letter different than my long ago friends knew. I just went with no warning, and stood around waiting for reactions. It was almost anti climax, expecting the worst. A few people walked right by me, but the majority read my name tag, gave me the once over, did an OMG, either verbal or silent, then congratulated me heartily, and heart felt. No bad reactions, no negative comments, only joy that I had found myself. I have maintained FB contact with some. My ex (I married my H.S. sweetheart) knew about the new me from my FB page, and approached me. She said 'You look happy'. Then I discovered that after being divorced for thirty years, she lives a few miles from me. We were married in Madrid, Spain, and now both live in a tiny farming community in Ontario, Canada. Weird.

Lorileah....your happiness or discomfort will be all that the real people who love you will see...and those that don't? Do they really matter? Have a great time at the reunion.

Good luck Lorileah. Go in with head held high, and the ones that were true friend will be there, the other who cares

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I wish you the best. Please let us know how it goes, these stories are very inspirational to those of us still semi closeted and unsure of where the journey is going!

Lorileah, I hope you go and have a wonderful time. On a personal level I really regret skipping my 20 year reunion last summer.

I have a friend that just went to her 30th. It turned out very well and she has gotten together with them since. Good luck and enjoy!
    Sally

Good luck Lorileah this weekend. I just have a feeling that it is going to be just fine !
    Last edited by GretchenJ; 08-08-2014 at 11:07 PM.

There is NO WAY youre old enough for a 40th reunion! Those old classmates will be blown away by your gorgeous looks, not to mention all the other awesomeness youve got going for you. Go to that reunion like a BOSS, Miss Lorileah.
    Last edited by Andy66; 08-08-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: speeling

I escaped high school 50 years ago; why in hell would I want to go back there?
    But I'm not you and can't advise you; only you can decide.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

So...
    How'd it go?