Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What percentage of you is female?

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I need to pop in here again just to bring up the biological fact that there is a fundamental difference in brain activity in men and women statistically. Although some socialization is apparent in gender-specific activity, there are many studies that show the brain overcomes socialization in many cases, though certainly not all.

Our socialization over the centuries have promoted certain activities as belonging to one gender or another, unfortunately. It's sometimes easier to refer to this socialization when we discuss our gender specificity, and that is unfortunate since our gender relationship is almost always much more complicated and harder to describe. I'm sorry if we've inadvertently reduced our complicated lives to simplicities, but sometimes that's all we have.

I have done some on -line tests too , bit of fun actually ...and I am more female than male in many areas , not just the way I prefer to dress , but how I think and act too.
    Still I already knew that !
    Theres No Point In Living , If You Can't Feel Alive

Quote Originally Posted by suchacutie
    I need to pop in here again just to bring up the biological fact that there is a fundamental difference in brain activity in men and women statistically. Although some socialization is apparent in gender-specific activity, there are many studies that show the brain overcomes socialization in many cases, though certainly not all.

Our socialization over the centuries have promoted certain activities as belonging to one gender or another, unfortunately. It's sometimes easier to refer to this socialization when we discuss our gender specificity, and that is unfortunate since our gender relationship is almost always much more complicated and harder to describe. I'm sorry if we've inadvertently reduced our complicated lives to simplicities, but sometimes that's all we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert 2010
    Gender builds on biological sex, but it exaggerates biological difference, and
    it carries biological difference into domains in which it is completely irrelevant. There is no
    biological reason, for example, why women should mince and men should swagger, or why
    women should have red toenails and men should not. But while we think of sex as biological and
    gender as social, this distinction is not clear-cut. People tend to think of gender as the result of
    nurture – as social and hence fluid – while sex is the result of nature, simply given by biology.
    However, nature and nurture intertwine, and there is no obvious point at which sex leaves off and
    gender begins

But the sharp demarcation fails because there is no single objective biological criterion
    for male or female sex. Sex is based in a combination of anatomical, endocrinal and
    chromosomal features, and the selection among these criteria for sex assignment is based very
    much on cultural beliefs about what actually makes someone male or female. Thus the very
    definition of the biological categories male and female, and people’s understanding of
    themselves and others as male or female, is ultimately social.
    Anne Fausto-Sterling (2000) sums
    up the situation as follows:

labeling someone a man or a woman is a social decision. We may use scientific knowledge to
    help us make the decision, but only our beliefs about gender – not science – can define our sex.
    Furthermore, our beliefs about gender affect what kinds of knowledge scientists produce about
    sex in the first place.

Work on sex differences in the brain is very much in its early stages, and is far from
    conclusive (Fausto-Sterling 2000). Men’s supposedly smaller corpus callosum, larger amygdala,
    larger premammillary nucleus, are among the questionable structural differences that are
    supposed to account for gender differences from men’s greater visual-spatial skills to their
    tendency to stare at breasts

Much of the popular work on gender differences in the brain are
    based on shaky evidence
    , and are commonly exaggerations and even distortions of what appears
    in the scientific literature. And the scientific literature itself is based on very small samples, often
    from sick or injured populations. In addition, not that much is known about the connections
    between brain physiology and behavior or cognition – hence about the consequences of any
    physiological differences scientists may be seeking or finding. And above all, the brain is very
    plastic, changing in response to experience.
    Thus the causal relation between brain physiology
    and activity is completely unclear (Eliot 2009). Nonetheless, any results that might support
    physiological differences are readily snatched up and combined with any variety of gender
    stereotypes in some often quite fantastic leaps of logic.
    And the products of these leaps can in
    turn feed directly into social, and particularly into educational, policy, with arguments that
    gender equity in such “left-brain areas” as mathematics and engineering is impossible

The eagerness of some scientists to establish a biological basis for all gender difference,
    and the public’s eagerness to take these findings up, points to the fact that we put a good deal of
    work into emphasizing, producing, and enforcing the dichotomous categories of male and
    female. In the process, differences or similarities that blur the edges of these categories, or that
    might even constitute other potential categories, are backgrounded, or erased, including the
    enormous range of differences among females and among males

http://web.stanford.edu/~eckert/PDF/Chap1.pdf

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Kylee-Blackstad; 08-13-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Smi mens jernet er varmt.
    "Don't laugh just cause my bra's stuffed with socks!"
    ♫ "I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-CHERRY BOMB!" ♫

Mine is a fuzzy number because it's all me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

I feel 99% female and 1% male just hanging on