Thread: TS Reality Episode 12 - A Dozen Things to Know

Silver Member

TS Reality Episode 12 - A Dozen Things to Know

12 is such an interesting number, don't you think? All kinds of things come in 12s: eggs, months of the year, days of Christmas, hours on the clock, beer. Heck, even the apostles came in a 12 pack! 12×12 is called a gross. Why is that? Drink 144 beers and you will find out!

I don't want to talk about eggs or beer. But I do want to talk about religion. That's right, the place of worship from whence our values come… The movies! Today's topic is inspired by the movies. Specifically, the significance of the number for 12 for transsexuals when it comes to the movies. No, I'm not talking about "Twelve Angry Men." No, that one is perhaps better left to the cross-dressers. I'm talking about a movie that has a strange and curious draw for trans women – yet which on the surface appears to be a very macho film.

Did you guess? It's "The Dirty Dozen"! The ultimate transsexual analogy!

WHAT, you ask? THE DIRTY DOZEN?? How could that possibly be?

What a great question!

First, let's mention some of the grand themes touched upon in this movie.

Living for death. The dirty dozen are 12 prisoners who have been mostly condemned. They sit waiting for life to end. Hopeless and helpless. (Hmmm. Familiar…)

The inconceivable quest that no one thinks possible. (The taking of the senior officer retreat.). And a savior– in the form of Major Reisman – who can see the possibilities that no one else can. (Harry Benjamin anyone?)

"The test." This consists of a challenging war games exercise to prove they will be able to handle the real deal. (RLE anyone?) You get bonus points if you recognized the therapist role in Maj. Armbruster.

And, of course, salvation after the trial. How indicative is it that only one of the dozen who survives aside from someone representing the postop mentor (Reisman) and the gatekeeper (Sgt. Bowren) - is Wladislaw – the only one that was once an officer! Moreover, he was the only one that actually didn't commit a real crime! Shades of the elite, hierarchical, true transsexual! Not that there is any such thing, of course ...

But what of the others, you ask? Well, as much as I hate being the bearer of bad news, this is not a happy movie for those on the TG spectrum. You see, every last one of them dies on the way to salvation (transition). So sad.

One barely survives been selected! "Hi my name is…). YOU'RE OUT!

Another dies parachuting in… First day of RLE.

Maggot is shot by Wladislaw. Can't have any of those fetish transitioners around now, can we?

Pinkley dies after coming out too early. I think he was a CD ... Remember what he focused on and what he said when inspecting Col Breed's troops? "They're pretty, colonel ... but can they fight?" The clothes, always the clothes!

Jefferson dies of overconfidence, thinking that he can overcome his problems by hitting them at a dead run. He ran. He died. Live by T, die by T.

Two die when they are shot up trying to escape in a boat! I'm not sure what kind of journey they thought they were on… though the word "cruising" comes to mind…

Some, like Posey, go down fighting bravely, but go down they do. Personally, I don't think Posey was going to pass anyway. I mean, they say you can overcome masculine features, but holy shit!

And then there's Franko. The perennial non-finisher, he dies on the brink of success. As the goal of taking the retreat has technically been accomplished by that point, I take this one as indicative that Franko didn't survive postop recovery. But he probably forged his letters anyway.

So you see, on deconstructing this film, that it's quite illustrative to the transsexual who knows what they are looking at. Those that shouldn't be on the path really should watch the film a few times to get a really good feel for what's going to happen to them should they start transition. And those who are transsexual will see they have a chance ... after being beat bloody and shot, of course.

Funny how 11 out of 12 people asked say they would transition in a heartbeat. They need, as the Man in Black said, to get used to disappointment!

Quite the chick flick!
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Well now, I guess I never though of "The Dirty Dozen" in that way before. Me thinks someone may have just a little too much time on their hands. But.... you do make a really good point.

Silver Member
    I didn't want anybody to feel guilty for watching the dirty dozen just because they're trans!

As for time, I'm in the middle of a 16 hour drive. Nothing to do but dictate a new thread!

This, alas, is the last of the TS Reality series. It wasn't picked up for a second season. Besides, the writer is thinking of striking. The pay stinks.

[Edit] I have had some communications indicating that some people actually took my intentions with this thread as serious! I thought the over-the-top nature of portraying a major guy film as a trans chick flick was so extreme and so transparent that it couldn't be missed. Clearly, I need to work on my comedy writing!

My second miss was assuming this film was familiar to most people. Wrong again! Even good 50-year-old films are well, 50 years old. While I remember it as a first run film, a bunch of you were not born until 20 years or more later! Sheesh! I should have picked Fast and Furious. There is a chick flick…
    Last edited by LeaP; 08-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    This, alas, is the last of the TS Reality series. It wasn't picked up for a second season. Besides, the writer is thinking of striking. The pay stinks.

[Edit] I have had some communications indicating that some people actually took my intentions with this thread as serious! I thought the over-the-top nature of portraying a major guy film as a trans chick flick was so extreme and so transparent that it couldn't be missed.
    Well that just s**ks. I for one liked them but then again I am in the well over 50 group.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

I'm in my 40's and loved that film. Of course I first watched it on VHS as a teen. I'm just glad my Dad waited and didn't go in for a Betamax.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Thanks, Lea
    Another reason to hate film critics (and any critic, for that matter). All they serve to do is put a roadblock between the artist and the audience.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I'm more into Catch 22 it drips with irony too.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain