Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would yo mama recognize you dolled up (continued)?

Would yo mama recognize you dolled up (continued)?

This is a topic I've been interested in for a long time. I value my privacy and would not care to be called out as Fred when dolled up. My view is that this is unlikely; my own mama would be more likely to say "you're a dude" than "you're my son"!

Previous thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...-up&highlight=

Two more data points this week. Had lunch with the lovely and charming Kim this week. She is well-known to many of you (14,000+ posts) and has a discerning eye. She's seen lots of photos of me but this was the first time we've met face-to-face. I asked her if I was what she was expecting and she said "yes, exactly what I was expecting". I then picked out a photo of Fred for scrutiny. "No way you're going to get picked, you two look nothing alike." Score!

I had a MAC counter makeover with Emely two months ago. I was presenting female except for having a fresh face. She was brilliant and we had a lovely ol' time. We're now Facebook friends so have had loose connections since then but nothing direct.

I walked up to the MAC counter in full on dude mode. Baseball cap, tinted glasses, two day beard growth.

"Can I help you?"

"Do I look familiar?"

Big cheesy grin by me. Three second pause. Then the light bulb went on.

"Michelle???"

Wow, impressive. I asked her what clicked and she said "Eyebrows. Yours were good-to-go for your makeover, which surprised me, and I recognized them."

My wife says she might not pick me except for my smile.

So, lots of fun, and mostly reassuring...Hugs, Michelle

My male self and I look completely different. My femme appearance has startled my wife a couple of times.

Banned Spammer
    Wow... From what I can see of your profile picture and avatar, I would be surprised if your own mother would even notice you're a man, let alone her son. You're very good at this.

As for me... probably. I'm still just starting out, so my tools and skills are limited. If I could do something about my eyebrows, get a better wig, and improve my overall makeup skills, it might be a bit harder, but I think that I would still be recognizable if anyone was looking

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Michelle, your post caught my eye. Here's why: after years of fretting over it, I outed myself to my mother...we've had such a great relationship over the years, and I remember her saying so many times when I was younger, "You would have made a great girl." I just felt I had to be honest while she's around. The way I did it? I showed her a photo of me and asked if she knew who it was. She had no idea...no idea it was a man, let alone me. When I told her, she was shocked by the transformation. When she came to her senses, you know what she said? "I always thought you would have made a great girl!" Her reception, and that of my father's, were far better than I expected. Total acceptance. BTW, you look gorgeous in your profile photo...I suspect your mama would be stumped.

She probably would, if she were still alive. I look a hell of a lot like her when I'm made up. Maybe that's weird. It is what it is. She was super and I miss her like hell.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

My mother has seen me both ways, so yeah... she'd recognize me.

I'm not sure if she would have recognized me if I hadn't told her. I suspect it would depend on context. If she saw me in passing at the mall, she probably wouldn't. If she saw me walking down the hall towards her apartment, she probably would.

My mother hasn't seen me in a dress since she was shooing me out of her own dresses and shoes when I was a young boy. Loved her closet dearly. But I have no intention of going there with her now... For now.

To be honest, I don't know. my SO says I look just like her when she was younger so she may think she found a way to time travel lol. My SO also says that sometimes she has to do a double take before she recognizes me so maybe she wouldn't but I am not going to test this anytime soon.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Platinum Member
    Your smile is bright and distinctive, for sure, except for that it's hard to recognize your male representation. Oddly, I see just the opposit in myself...I see a bulky guy with a blonde wig in my pics...so I studiously avoid the pictures!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Other than thinking she was looking into a mirror, nope she wouldn't as I look just like my Mom when I'm en femme.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

My mother never told me if she saw the resemblance - I see it very clearly; we look very much alike when I am dressed up. My mother did tell my wife once that "my son is a beautiful woman." So, whatever she saw, she approved.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

I don't know if my mother would recognize me if she were still living or not, but I sure do look like her when I have makeup on. The shape of my chin, mouth, and nose remind me very much of hers, and I do miss her still.

Hugs, Bria

Recently I let my hair get too long. For laugh I blow dried it, so it went big. I am like my mother in my hair and looks. When I presented myself to my astonished family my five year old said: 'Nanny, you look like nanny.'
    So it is. My mother would certainly recognise me. I look like two of my sisters.
    Also my wife is convinced she knows because two of my sisters do know and 'I know your family they tell each other everything'.

Well maybe but I wouldn't fool my mother.

I think my mother would either way..

Tina
    I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think it's going to rain, it will.

I actually showed my mother pictures of me dressed while I was coming out to her (probably not the best way to do it, for the record... but) Her first response was "yeah, ok... she's pretty... annnnd?" ...to which I manged to choke out "that's me." ...things went ok-ish I guess. She hasn't disowned me but we never ever ever EVVVVVER talk about it. So, I guess the answer is no... at least not in photos. Lol

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I hope my mom would recognize me we had dinner last night. If she didn't know about me, it probably would be much of a stretch for her to recognize me as she's known about my body and gender issues for a while.

Candice: though NONE of us are in a particularly enviable position; I've got to say, yours is pretty good as far as the whole mom situation goes. ...as I stated previously, my mother just ignores it and hopes it's a phase (I'm 31... i was 26 when i told her. Lol)... she's known, but pretended she didn't since the first time I got "busted" making dresses from bedsheets. ...I guess what I'm saying is that you should hug that woman every chance you get!
    Best wishes!
    Jessica

I did not come out until after my mother had died (2000). I should say, I did not feel free to come out while she was alive, I felt that I could not risk her disapproval and disappointment.

She had been expecting a girl when I was born (I would have been Marilyn) and I am sure my lifelong interest in all things female began at her knee and in her dressing room. A year after she passed, I went en femme to a branch of her church (not her own home church, as adults we lived on opposite coasts) and spoke a memorial remembrance. I felt I was talking to her not to the congregation, it seemed a way to connect somehow. I wore a long summer dress with a ditzy little floral print that reminded me of her.

These days few people I meet casually connect me en femme with my manly self, despite my distinctive gravelly voice, but I am sure my mother would have recognized me instantly. Would she have become OK with it? I think she might have done, don't really know. Wasn't ever in the cards really, given the way our lives unfolded, my need for her approval, and my late-in-life acceleration in this direction.

Interesting original blog:
    Quote Originally Posted by michelleddg View Post
    Would yo mama recognize you dolled up? Yeah, if I walked up and rang her doorbell she might look at me funny then say "Fred"?
    When I am home on the weekend, my mother and I usually try and get together for lunch. For the last eight years or so I worked on site away from home and was home roughly every other weekend. Starting in May, I have been working from home. About six weeks ago at the end of one of our lunches, I gave her the Time magazine with "The Transgender Tipping Point" cover and asked her to read the article. Four weeks ago, I showed up dressed for lunch and knocked on her door. All she said was "yes" a couple of times. I finally asked her to let me in. I had to tell her it was me before she let me in.

We normally go out, but this weekend she had made lunch. She really did not have much to say about how I was dressed other than, "are you wearing heels?" It was pretty much a non-event. I asked her if she ever remembered any event of me dressing as a child. She said that she had dressed me up one time and my father wasn't too pleased.

She and I still go out every weekend. I am not sure if we were recognized as mother and son in the past and now as mother and daughter. After one of our lunches, she asked if we should go out to a Cold Water Creek store that was closing to pick up anything. She had been there earlier and had picked up some bras. I had to turn down her offer because I had a full wardrobe both at home and on site. Most of my on site wardrobe is still packed away.

Probably she would

My dear old Mum would simply not have believed that such thing was possible!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

yes because i look just like her when im all dressed up

Hi .

I dont ever get dolled up and my Mom would have known me no matter what i wore, My Mom passed away just over 40 years ago , just after Jos and i got married, by 3 months,

Im so reconised where ever i go every one knows who i am over seas as well ,

Hey any way, my facial features have not changed enough for people not to know what i looked like 40 years ago , and as it is try try 50 years and people knew me when i was on nation wide TV, noel - noeleena.

...noeleena...

Gone to live my life
    Hard to say. Perhaps in pictures it might be difficult for a mother to pick you out but I suspect in person . . . well just saying "a mother always knows".

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    The chances of my mother seeing me are pretty slim but I think she would walk straight pass me, I would probably prefer it if she did !
    I think she would be OK with it, but in her mid eighties I'd hate to give her a heart attack !!